• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

battle rifle/zombie rifle

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
with pride i shoot an hk usc/ump with aimpoint, i take the rifle out to 100 yards no problem and i feel vary vary good about this rifle, I think if zombies attacked or my house was under siege, my 45 cal usc/ump could get the job done.

How ever i was at this new gunshop today and to be honest the guy their ( iam not up set at him in any way ) sort of crushes my feelings, he was speeking the truth though. the usc/ump has a plastic frame so its not like you could beat some one with it if you had to. and with all of todays modern guns the usc/ump really has no place ( say vs an ar15 )

then i got to watching the magpul tactical carbine videos, if some one showed up at one of those schools with a usc/ump haha i bet the would most likely send them home lol.

so i really dont want to switch to 223 considering i load 45 for both pistol and rifle but do you think he is right and i should switch over ? iam actully so urked by this i have been thinking of selling it already, maybe i need to just settle down and get my head back on straight or somthing

Re: battle rifle/zombie rifle

Are you serious with this post? You want to know if a better "battle or zombie" rifle is determined by it being metal vs polymer? You want us to tell you that you need the AR15 to bash someone with it? Seriously dude.......

The Glock is polymer and it withstands tanks, HUMVEEs, soldiers, LEOs all giving it hell.

Stop reading into some random guys opinions. Everyone is a professional until you put the rifle in their hands and ask them to recreate their wild scenarios they make up in their heads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> with pride i shoot an hk usc/ump with aimpoint, i take the rifle out to 100 yards no problem and i feel vary vary good about this rifle, I think if zombies attacked or my house was under siege, my 45 cal usc/ump could get the job done.

How ever i was at this new gunshop today and to be honest the guy their ( iam not up set at him in any way ) sort of crushes my feelings, he was speeking the truth though. the usc/ump has a plastic frame so its not like you could beat some one with it if you had to. and with all of todays modern guns the usc/ump really has no place ( say vs an ar15 )

then i got to watching the magpul tactical carbine videos, if some one showed up at one of those schools with a usc/ump haha i bet the would most likely send them home lol.

so i really dont want to switch to 223 considering i load 45 for both pistol and rifle but do you think he is right and i should switch over ? iam actully so urked by this i have been thinking of selling it already, maybe i need to just settle down and get my head back on straight or somthing </div></div>

I think you need to readdress your weapon priorities if this is what you're worried about. You want to dump a weapon because someone at a gun shop told you it wouldn't be useful for smashing in skulls? Go buy yourself a Remington 870 and a few cases of slugs and buckshot - all you need...or just watch Resident Evil and use what they're using.

If I recall RE had a ton of G36 work - polymer there, but I think all those characters died.

or sell me your ump/usc on the cheap. then get an HK91.
smile.gif

If you like it, keep it. If you are worried about beating something, buy yourself an aluminum baseball bat. You might ask the guy at the gunstore which one he recommends.

If your feelings are easily hurt, your on the wrong forum..
grin.gif
Buy what you enjoy and can hit with.

Let me guess...the "genius" at your local funshop was surrounded by tons of in-stock rifles from M1As to ARs to you name it. He is in business to SELL FIREARMS. He wants you instill as much doubt in you as possible about a potential "inferiority" of your weapons systems as possible in an effort to SELL FIREARMS. You have to take everything you hear from your local gun shops with a grain of salt and not automatically assume that you are hearing the gospel truth!

By example, several years ago, I went to a local gunshop/indoor range. After finishing about an hour of shooting, I returned to the shop where the owner had apparently been observing me shoot on their CC monitoring system. He then proceeds to tell me how I need to get rid of my HK USPc .45 because they are prone to melting. Yep...MELTING. He says how under extreme stress, rapid fire, leaving them locked in the car on a hot day, etc. will cause them to MELT!! As I laughed, I asked what he recommended instead of my HK when he promptly walks down the counter and points to several in-stock Ruger P85s, Ruger SP100s and similar pistols. When I asked why those...he said (among other things) that they were 100x better made than any German-made POS. Needless to say, that was the end of the conversation!

Now with that said...if you are in a position where YOU are doubting your equipment, you have two options: 1) put your equipment through its paces (which you should have done already anyway) and reassure yourself it is up to the job you have in mind for it; or 2) get rid of it and get something that will foot the bill.

Whats the odds of meeting a zombie? Kinda makes the LOTTO look easy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> iam actully so urked by this i have been thinking of selling it already, </div></div>

If your mind set is that easely changed, your going to be in for a real shock when the targets, start shooting back.

You have already lost faith in your weapons ability to win a fight, based on just a conversation.

I a straight up gunfight it's about self, not the weapon.
With the thought train your having, it's best for you, to not step forward in the first place. I know your don't like what I just said, but thats reailty.

I'd suggest you take a course in mind/self control.

Everyone know the only real way to kill Zombies is with a Phased plasma rifle in the 40- watt range

Maybe you could try bashing a few coconuts with the butt end of you Ump to see how it works. Defiantly make a video of if.. For historical documentation of course. At the very least you will know the limitations of your weapon system. I think the gun will hold up, but the heavier the object the better the club.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone know the only real way to kill Zombies is with a Phased plasma rifle in the 40- watt range</div></div>

Now we're talkin. Where can I get me one of those?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chase102798</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone know the only real way to kill Zombies is with a Phased plasma rifle in the 40- watt range</div></div>

smile.gif
</div></div>
Hey, it's just what you see pal.

Dear Lord.... he crushed your feelings? Unless you're a 12 year old girl, I'd find somewhere else to get some info. If you're really that worried, duct tape a Louisville Slugger to the handle and be done with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: agent-smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chase102798</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone know the only real way to kill Zombies is with a Phased plasma rifle in the 40- watt range</div></div>

smile.gif
</div></div>
Hey, it's just what you see pal.</div></div>

What?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nailz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dear Lord.... he crushed your feelings? Unless you're a 12 year old girl, I'd find somewhere else to get some info. If you're really that worried, duct tape a Louisville Slugger to the handle and be done with it. </div></div>

eehh its just he is pretty much right in all logical thinking... usc/ump is a sub gun not a " battle rifle " the real question i asked him is..." could the ump do today what the thompson did in the 40's, the thompson really cleaned up" he said that the ump would be less effect in the island fighting where they didnt have as much time to clean the weapons, the ump would jam more offte. he also said that lots of soldiers would beat people to death with their thompsons if they rand out of ammo.... and that couldnt be done with a ump.... and in all honesty it couldnt, the stock would brake off after a few swings.

i dont wanna say my feelings where, hurt but lets fast forword to 2k10 with millions of people owning ar's if "shit" ever hit the fan ump vs ar.... well i would be at a serious dissadvantage

JB,

What the fuck is wrong with you? Let's examine the facts:

1) You don't live in 1920's Chicago or 1940's Europe or Pacific theater. You live in Pennsylvania...the Quakers are not coming to get you....yet.

2) Anyone who buys a firearm for zombies or "SHTF" is a moron.

3) 90% of all gun store personnel are morons, frauds, mall ninja or combination there of. They want to sell guns..PERIOD. I'm sure if he had HK SL8's or FN SCARs he would have used a different approach in that polymer is the wave of the future!!!

4) All other factors aside, if you are worried as to how many people your firearm will "beat to death" before it breaks.....your tactics suck and death is imminent.

5) If you're beating several people with your gun, odds are you're out of ammo. Might as well drop that puppy and get a bat or find another gun. If you aren't out of ammo, see #4 above.

6) You honestly feel that your survival in a violent, combat-rich, extreme survival situation will depend mostly on USC vs. AR? You better pray that communication and common sense are major factors.

well i trust the guy, he is a retired state police officer, and trains alot of private contractors and other govt agencies... pretty sure he knows what he is talking about.

think iam going to sell it and grab eaither an fn scar or hk 91 or 93

thank for all your imput guys, sorry about the silly post but thus has been bugging me for a few days

These guys train people.

I'm sure she is now a retired officer.

If those are your 2 reasons for trusting him, think again.

JB, I poke a lot of fun at you, but please listen and listen good.

No one. NO ONE can tell you what you want or need when it comes to firearms. It's all relative. I have met men who were never military, LEO, or even liked firearms that could anything short of conduct an orchestra with an old, rusty single-shot .22lr. And there are also men (not unlike yourself) that could have the finest AR and do little more than waste ammo and spook the local wildlife.

"Deadly is not in a store or catalog, it's in the heart and mind of the man."

First off I can't even think of where to begin with this post other than have you lost your mind? Zombies? With all the real world shit that is going on you bring up zombies. If you can shoot the gun and shoot it good call it good. If you can afford to have both buy an AR and stop your school girl comments once and for all.

Sad to see what the Hide has degenerated to....taking advice from movies and video games!

You probably should have someone check under your bed and in the closet for you before you go to bed at night.

you jack asses i didnt mean zombies as in real zombies... iam not worried about that stupid ass crap. zombie means.. well like if the shit hit the fan and people where robbing other people and all that chaos kinda shit...

i just stoped by that gunshop today and put my usc/ump on consignment so i will be browsing gunbroker and reading guntests to see what is good out their..... i have been stuck under the hk trance for to long

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> you jack asses i didnt mean zombies as in real zombies... iam not worried about that stupid ass crap. zombie means.. well like if the shit hit the fan and people where robbing other people and all that chaos kinda shit...

i just stoped by that gunshop today and put my usc/ump on consignment so i will be browsing gunbroker and reading guntests to see what is good out their..... i have been stuck under the hk trance for to long </div></div>
Well in that case your fun just started. Have a good time trying to figure out what you want out of the hundreds of AR choices out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well iam thinking eaither pof or scar </div></div>
You spelled SCAR wrong its spelled POS but the POF is GTG

Man, I'd love to have a sub gun like yours. The .45ACP is such a great cartridge.

Don't sweat some dude at a gunshop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well iam thinking eaither pof or scar </div></div>
You spelled SCAR wrong its spelled POS but the POF is GTG </div></div>

and why do you feel the scar is a pos ? every one raves about it, atleast it can pass an over the beach test....and a standerd ar faild

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well iam thinking eaither pof or scar </div></div>
You spelled SCAR wrong its spelled POS but the POF is GTG </div></div>

and why do you feel the scar is a pos ? every one raves about it, atleast it can pass an over the beach test....and a standerd ar faild </div></div>

I see we're planning on assaulting beaches now. And who is this "everyone" you speak of? I liked you better when you were drinking the HK kool aid

The SCAR and POF's are fine choices. As well as LMT, LWRC...

every one that i have asked about them, they say the love them hands down..

iam vary undecided to be honest because i really liked the idea of loading one round for 2 diffrent guns... iam not excided about the 223 thing at all

Dude you really need to get your head screwed on straight. 45acp no good for home defense? Bashing heads while at it? Dude can you say 870? Keep your ump and drop a few $$ and get an 870. ARs are nice and all but not the do all weapon.

Black, you are stuck chasing your tail. Think in terms of Gold clubs. You have a 7 Iron but someone told you your sunk without a 3 wood. Now you want to give up your 7 iron for a 3 wood. What are you goping to do when he says, ahh 5.56 is no good on glass and deflects easy in brush, you need a 7.62. Out goes the 3 wood in comes the Driver. Hey a main battle rifle is no good for the urban invironment, youll hit all your neighbors by accident, you need a 7 iron LOL.

i used to have an 1187 allllllll tricked out but i sold it for 400 bucks, it was a special purpous too, extension tube 18 inch barrel 6 round side saddle combat handle, i actually kind miss that gun

If you're looking at ARs look at Noveske The ACR is kinda cool, the rapid caliber change is nice, but I was playing with it the other day and I really didn't like it. I liked the Scar better, if were going with an unconventional AR. You could also look at an SR-25 EM Carbine if you really want a beastly AR battle rifle. As far as UMPs go, IMO they are great, still on my list of things I want. Now do you think if SHTF your gonna need to be shooting civilians or looters at distances beyond 100 yards, maybe you need a rifle. Its a question only you can answer for yourself, what you need and why you need it. Something IMO thought that is just as important as what you need when you are referring to guns is what you want and like.

I remember when this forum was dominated by professionals or at least people that didn't act like 15 y/o girls.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember when this forum was dominated by professionals or at least people that didn't act like 15 y/o girls.

</div></div>

I couldn't have said it better myself, when did the Hide turn into ARF.com

in all honestly i like the ump, its small its light i have went out to 100 no problem ( could maybe go to 150 but never tried ) i like my msg90 rifle for ne thing past that and an 1187 or 870 for ne thing else.

but as you get older i guess things change.

this isnt a 15 year old girl thing, it mainly comes down to would an ar or ump being better an an all around do every thing rifle/survival rifle

"the usc/ump has a plastic frame so its not like you could beat some one with it if you had to."

??????????????????????????????????????????

If it goes bang every time you pull the trigger, and the bullets hit your target, what else matters?

ok well it comes down to this.. every traning vid i watch on you tube every gun shop you go to every thing is 223 rifles ar's scars g36 and the list goes on after every thing i talked about with that guy after every thing i have seen every where iam begining to think maybe i bought the wrong gun..... you dont see umps or even mp5's at 3 gun matches, with the mp5 being phased out and subguns being slightly phased out with shorter ar's and other 223 guns... iam starting to have my douts period maybe my usc/ump isnt the battle rifle i though it was 5 or 6 years ago

It's a pistol caliber carbine. It's use as a defensive weapon can be debated, but if you can shoot it, I don't see a problem with it.

It has ammo commonality with your USP.

If you're that worried about what that guy at the gun shop thinks then you should ask him what you should get, I'm sure he'll have an opinion, everybody does.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to accomplish with this thread, you said in your first post that you didn't want a .223, doesn't seem to get much simpler than that. It's not like you're being issued it or anything.

ya your right, but this guy he has been in the field... i havent, when i watch the various traning vids on you tube of ussa and magpul and gunsite, every single person uses an ar15 not any sub guns so i just though i picked the wrong gun for the wrong use.

i love the fact i reload one round for but my carbine and pistol and my bro's pistol... i just i guess would feel alittle weird showing up at a 3 gun match with a sub gun while every one else uses ar15's heck even if i had a sl8/g36 clone i would feel a little off

ask the expert for the perfect 3 guns for your 3 gun match. have him put it on paper!
ask him what time he goes home.
you want to see that he has all 3!
if he wont show you he might be full of it and lying about his expertise as well as what you "need".
I have seen people with the hot rifle of the week that I would not worry about taking on with a 1911. if they cant hit me @ 100y I will hit them.
fire power is not everything. I have taken money from a bet that I could hit more than a guy with a full auto Ar10. I put 16 in my target in 10 seconds while he used 60 rounds to hit his 5 times in 10 seconds. M1 beats Ar10 if used well. I don't care if I can bash him with it.
go watch rambo kill ar gunners with a bow LOL

if the SHTF right now what would you use? what ever you can! the truth is you will likely never see it happen! if it did I will be hiding with a 45 and a hushpuppy waiting for the guy spraying the dark hopeing to hit a zombie I think i'll hear him coming and he won't ever know what hit him.

I think we are both safe.

Is this HK fanboy for real?

Dude, just get a friggin gun and learn out to be effective with it!!

You seriously going off what training videos has?? AR's work great, if you want one, go get it, if not, who cares man, get what YOU want and don't give a crap about how you will look.

Just shoot the gun and hitting the targets is the only thing that matters, not how "Tacti-Magpulicious" you are!!

Get a gun and go wear it out!!

Rant mode off as of now.....