• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bausch & Lomb 10x40 Scope background?

Bekktron!

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2020
Hello all,

I bought a Remington 700 PSS rifle on consignment a few years ago and it came with this scope. Its a fixed 10x scope with a traditional mil-dot reticle and MOA adjustments.
I dont know much about it but it appears that the company has gone out of business or was bought by Bushnells? Im hoping to sell it so Im curious if anyone could suggest a price point. Its got some dings and knicks on the adjustment turrets but other than that, no other damage.
The serial number on the bottom of the tube is 62-1040 Y000259

The glass seems very clear but I have little experience with higher end glass, so maybe its average?

Only bummer about it is it has a mil-dot reticle and MOA adjustments...

Thanks!

B&L 1.jpg

B&L 2.jpg

B&L 3.jpg

Here is the link to some more photos.

I can't remember the details on the B&L going into Bushnell deal, but Bushnell basically absorbed/bought out the B&L scope line. Even with their newest high end optics, you can see similarities in the design between the scope you have and the current Elite Tactical line.

Looks just like my Bushnell Elite 10x, which is mil/mil, and I've seen my model for around $150 on the used market.

They are not like the Bushnell Elite, but were a high-quality optic at the time. The B&L still has a niche market with the M14 aficionados since it was the scope issued with some US Navy "Port Security" rifle. They seem to get a high dollar price from collectors who want to get that look.

Leupold's home is in Portland, Oregon -- where a lot of the left-leaning shenanigans are going on downtown. It is a family-owned business.

I was told Leupold family ownership considered dropping their military product line in the 80s as part of their social responsibility. Army and Navy special forces had to consider alternate sources for M3 sniper scopes and trialed the Tasco Super Sniper and the Bausch and Lomb 62-1040. It has very good, solid quarter-minute clicks but suffers from a rear eyepiece parallax adjustment ( a pain in the ass when using Butler Creek caps, and "Cat-tails" didn't exist yet) like the Leupold TS-30.

It's a robust design and has an excellent etched mil-dot reticle. I had one mounted on a McCann M14 mount (on an M25) based on feedback I got from one of our SEALs. Their waterproof testing consisted of mounting it on an M14 sniper system and leaving it at the bottom of a swimming pool for three weeks.

I think I paid $700-750 new in 1990-91 because it was difficult to get hands on a Leupold M3 (for SF guys they offered limited sales and only as "blems"). I'd pay around $600 for one today, knowing its limitations. It's discontinued, but Bushnell/Bausch and Lomb will probably still service it. Bausch and Lomb was a respected old-school optics line and is a Bushnell "Upper end" label.

m25navy.jpg

M25_rifle_1.jpg

Last edited:
You've already gotten some good info. Here's another small puzzle piece https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threadloom/search The guys in the Vintage Sniper Rifle forum have some pretty arcane knowledge and are willing to share it. Vintage glass is sometimes the toughest part of a vintage clone build. I'm thinking you have a bit of a gem there. BTW welcome to SH.

I just checked the search link an it did not pull up the comment. Just go to the forum and pose your question.