• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Johnnybrah

Enthusiast
Minuteman
  • Jul 29, 2019
    SoCal
    What’s up guys,

been lurking around to get more info on BLM land near the bay, specifically Tumey Hills / Panoche Area but haven’t really come up on anything. Anyone have experience in this area or can point me to spots there to stretch out a bit?

I’ve found tons of info of matches and ranges (Avenal, Sac, etc) which id like to hit up in the future but for now, I’d like to just camp, hangout, and practice my fundamentals some more before hitting up these nicer ranges and matches!

If anyone is also down to do a meet up, we can load up my truck and go. Trade you guys gas for some shooting knowledge lol

I'm from the Salinas area, I'm interested to see what other folks are doing. I think a lot of the blm lands have a shooting restriction. They claim fire danger.

From the Bay Area. Been to Panoche and Tumey Hills but its hit and miss if you can find a good spot.
    Last weekend a couple buddies and I headed down to Taft for "California Long Range Hunters" free shoot. They had some private land with steel targets set at 400,550,800,1000 and 1200. In the afternoon they had a target at 1500. It was a ton of fun and alot of knowledge from the shooters that were out there.

I've been trying to find some local shoots but havent got into any yet.

From the Bay Area. Been to Panoche and Tumey Hills but its hit and miss if you can find a good spot.
    Last weekend a couple buddies and I headed down to Taft for "California Long Range Hunters" free shoot. They had some private land with steel targets set at 400,550,800,1000 and 1200. In the afternoon they had a target at 1500. It was a ton of fun and alot of knowledge from the shooters that were out there.

I've been trying to find some local shoots but havent got into any yet.
    Appreciate the info! Will be on the look out for that.

Be advised BLM areas Panoche, Tumey and Griswold Hills have been closed to target shooting, due to fire hazard, during the dry season, last couple years. Get it while you can.

Be advised BLM areas Panoche, Tumey and Griswold Hills have been closed to target shooting, due to fire hazard, during the dry season, last couple years. Get it while you can.

*During the dry season. I was there a couple weeks ago.

Attachments

• 20191214_145728.jpg
      20191214_145728.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 158
    That's nice and open. I need to make a trip and explore again.
    Where was that picture taken? Care to PM me gps coordinates or directions.

What were you shooting at?

I invite anyone with an interest to come to SacValley and shoot with us at either one of our club practice days at the thousand yard range, or one of our matches, either Long Range at paper targets on Range 12, or one of our steel matches on Range 6.

You can get more information on our forum here: http://forum.ncpprc.com/index.php

You can also reach out to the fine folks at Avenal and shoot there as well. As a matter of fact, Avenal is having a club match this coming Sunday, you may want to come check it out.

I invite anyone with an interest to come to SacValley and shoot with us at either one of our club practice days at the thousand yard range, or one of our matches, either Long Range at paper targets on Range 12, or one of our steel matches on Range 6.

You can get more information on our forum here: http://forum.ncpprc.com/index.php

You can also reach out to the fine folks at Avenal and shoot there as well. As a matter of fact, Avenal is having a club match this coming Sunday, you may want to come check it out.
    When is the next match?

3/7 is the next long Range practice.
    3/8 is the next Long Range paper match out to 1K.
    3/15 is the next Steel match.
    Both matches will require pre-registration in PractiScore through our forum. The matches should be posted just over a week prior to the date of the match.

Gents,

North Bay member here. Once we begin to regain normalcy, Please keep me posted on happenings in our area.
    Thanks

3 places but if you only want to shoot close to medium range you can almost just pick a spot. The closer you are to highway 5, the closer your are to possible deadly stupidity

Turn off to Ponache Road
    Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 6.00.14 AM.png

Here are the two locations closest to the freeway that offer well over 1K. The first site, you have to hike plates on your back across a small creek. Please note that the red squiggly line that looks like a road was me hiking with plates on my back.
    Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 6.05.20 AM.png

The second, just continue down the same road and stop at the cords listed - it is possible to shoot 3,000 yards plus if you really wanted. You need 4x4, and never go if it is threatening rain; you'll slide in the weird mud this dirt makes.

You can shoot right off the rod as well with a lot of choices but your range is limited to maybe 600ish - I don't really remember.
    Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 5.48.21 AM.png

If you have better 4x4 skills, Indian Valley in the same BLM system is excellent and very secluded. It is a long-ass drive in the dirt. In this Valley, shooting out to 2K is relatively easy; you can shoot further if you are creative. You must cross several cowboy fences / Barbed wire gates. I would suggest scouting first. It is almost an all-day drive.
    25519162413_26bb03e5fc_c.jpg

25519155833_a20e583e0e_c.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 7.05.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 7.05.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 7.06.25 AM.png

Another note on BLM. If you have a 4x4 or even a vehicle with good tires and clearance you could get around during the dry season. There are tons of roads. Its also worth mentioning that you can camp anywhere on BLM land. If you're shooting long it might be worth it as the winds usually start up around 10am and get progressively stronger into the afternoon.

They are closing some areas for the season so it's a good idea to have a plan B, or C.

I would be willing to do a camp trip out to one of these.

LOL You so reminded me of 6 years ago, when I took the images of Indian Valley above, my Son turned just turned 14, he wanted to organize the trip so we could leave earlier. We both went to the store and bought all the stuff you'd never take camping if you were rucking or backpacking as that usually is how we'd hunt or camp. I purchased a few fantastic stakes and planned on sauteing the mushrooms etc. But he was adamant that he was going to pack all the camping gear, utensils, pots, pans, and food. This was to be camping next to the truck, so I said, "James, whatever you do, make sure to pack two really nice pillows for me"; "sure, Dad," he said.

3 am, we walk out to the packed up truck, 20 minutes down the road he starts to fall asleep. I said, "Hey bubba, grab one of the pillows and catch some sleep." - Turn and says "what pillows" I can not, or do not want to remember what the immediate conversation that followed, but I was really grumpy for an hour or so.

We arrive, set up to shoot, and have a good time, about time to start thinking about dinner. I ask him to get out the cutting board and skillet to start the mushrooms and onions. "ah, ah, Dad?" well, he forgot to pack the cutting board, no big deal, but no pans or pots, and nothing to cook with not even a knife or spatula. I'm sorry to say I was a bit dumbfounded but handled it a bit better than the pillows. No biggie will make the stakes over the open fire and drop in a potato, and I had an aluminum dog bowl in the truck we used to cook ramen.

Shortly thereafter, I discovered what else he forgot.

Unknown-16.jpeg

Well, he had a pocket knife and a brilliant idea ~ that's what we cooked and ate with.

Actually ended up being a great time!

Last edited:
    3 places but if you only want to shoot close to medium range you can almost just pick a spot. The closer you are to highway 5, the closer your are to possible deadly stupidity

Turn off to Ponache Road
    View attachment 7312965

Here are the two locations closest to the freeway that offer well over 1K. The first site, you have to hike plates on your back across a small creek. Please note that the red squiggly line that looks like a road was me hiking with plates on my back.
    View attachment 7312970

The second, just continue down the same road and stop at the cords listed - it is possible to shoot 3,000 yards plus if you really wanted. You need 4x4, and never go if it is threatening rain; you'll slide in the weird mud this dirt makes.

You can shoot right off the rod as well with a lot of choices but your range is limited to maybe 600ish - I don't really remember.
    View attachment 7312962

If you have better 4x4 skills, Indian Valley in the same BLM system is excellent and very secluded. It is a long-ass drive in the dirt. In this Valley, shooting out to 2K is relatively easy; you can shoot further if you are creative. You must cross several cowboy fences / Barbed wire gates. I would suggest scouting first. It is almost an all-day drive.
    View attachment 7312993

View attachment 7312996

View attachment 7313019

View attachment 7313020

View attachment 7313018
    You're the Man! thanks for sharing this.

Reactions: Diver160651

Turn off to Ponache Road
    View attachment 7312965

View attachment 7312970

View attachment 7312962

View attachment 7312993

View attachment 7312996

View attachment 7313019

View attachment 7313020

View attachment 7313018

Wanted to give thanks for providing such detailed info!

Reactions: Diver160651