• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bBrass resizing: Case length???

gatorglockman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Alabama, US
I normally reload .223 and .308 (for semi auto non-precision rifles) and some .308 for my bolt action. I have read the Tresmon stickies and want to dial in a more accurate load for my precision rifle in .308.

I use a Lee trimmer (holds the case and cuts to the set length/set length) with my drill. I know...this is good for AR's not for precision rifles. Tresmon discusses not doing this and I understand the why's but.....

"how much accuracy is lost in cutting your brass down to standard length spec?"

If I do a headspace measurement on the brass (like in the tresmon thread) but forego OAL measurements and pushing the bullet seating into the rifling with precision....can I expect reasonable match grade performance? (provided I work my powder load right/accuracy in each load/etc)

Insight and feedback? Help, thx!

Re: bBrass resizing: Case length???

Conventional 'wisdom' aside, I doubt you will ever see any accuracy difference by case length nor will the tool you use to do the trimming matter. There is good reason to believe the case neck is fully pressed against the chamber neck before the bullet base can clear the neck so trimming can't possibly have any measureable effect.