• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report BC estimation methodology

sharac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2008
Slovenia
Hi,

a quick question regarding an approach to estimation of BC for new prototype bullet.

Would be a comparison of drag between standard g7 projectile and new prototype projectile in combination with known/measured sectional density yield good estimation of actual prototype BC.

Steps:

in software measure drag of standard g7 projectile (fluid dynamics software)
do the same for prototype
get the difference and apply this difference to form factor (for example drag of prototype is 10% lower than standard g7 that would translate to 10% better form factor hence all other things equal yield 10% better BC)

use this estimated form factor to compute BC of projectile. I cannot see a flaw in this thinking and i made some comparisons for known bullets and it seems to match but would really appreciate any "independent" input on this if i'm missing something which calls for doh! moment...