• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes BC flip up tight on NF eyepiece?

pazzo

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2008
Has anybody else noticed that the Butler Creek (#18 flip up) is super tough to open on the 5.5-22x56 NXS (and possibly other NF scopes)?

In the last week or so, I've seen THREE NF 5.5-22x56 NXS scopes all with the BC #18, and they're very hard to open. I tried one on mine as well and it is the same - very sticky. When you push the red tab, it just doesn't open up like it should. It sticks and you have to either push the red button thing a few times or open it manually like the old style ones.

Anybody know why?

Re: BC flip up tight on NF eyepiece?

All the way for sure. Like I said, it's the same for ALL the NF scopes I've tried (granted they've all been the 5.5-22x56 models using the #18 eyepiece).

What NF of yours is using the #17?

Their tolerances are all over the place. I had two identical sets on two identical scopes. One set opens perfectly and the other set are hard to close and hard to open on the objective, with the eyepiece working just OK. I was also going to buy a set for my nightforce on monday and the one guy I talked to said dont waste my money. The objective one has issues with staying closed. He took it out of the box and showed me. Not sure if you or anyone else has had these issues on a 56mm objective??

No Issues on the Objective side,
but small end fell Off during a match
and I just gave up on it!

I use 1/2 the bikini cover and
a para cord leash.

HTH,
Steve

I hate that damn factory bikini cover. I keep bumping the lens when pushing it on and leaving a nasty oil(?) mark from the rubber. Sucks.

I'm beginning to think I'd rather have than fiddly BC flip up, rather than have a greasy lens.

I don't use the Butler Creek covers anymore. Had to many of them break, or not stay closed. All I use now is Nightforces bikini cover and like that set up alot. Very quick on and off, and helps keep my scope clean. I won't be using BC anytime soon.

I have 2 BCs that won't latch brand new out of the package. Don't like the NF bikini, I end up with smears on my scope lense.

Does anyone else make covers simialr to butler creek that will work. Leupold does for their scopes but I dont think that are big enough for the NF.

I use #21 for the objective end and #19 for the eye piece. Very easy to open. They are for my 5.5-22x56 mm and 3.5-15x56.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use #21 for the objective end and #19 for the eye piece. Very easy to open. They are for my 5.5-22x56 mm and 3.5-15x56. </div></div>

Do you mean 19 and 51?

After reading this thread,I wonder if I'm wasting my money by buying BC flip up's for my NXS 5.5-22X50?Or just stick with the NF bikini cover.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After reading this thread,I wonder if I'm wasting my money by buying BC flip up's for my NXS 5.5-22X50?Or just stick with the NF bikini cover. </div></div>

Got the same scope and am sticking with the NF bikini cover. Thought about Polar Caps but changing power would change polarization. And changing power moves the BC release button around so you'd have to use an objective cover instead and hope the bolt handle always clears it, which it wouldn't at some power settings. Serious pita with the NXS ocular rotating for power setting, nothing out there really works well.

The bikini cover can be installed and removed without mucking up the lens if held by the tether and worked over the tube. Or at least it's worked that way for me so far. Now I'll go and muck up the lens next time no doubt.

pete and steve,

There is no doubt you will muck up your lens
wink.gif

You know it's gonna happen. It's like that one big thumb print on the lens of your camera...it just happens when you don't have anything to wipe it off with
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pazzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pete and steve,

There is no doubt you will muck up your lens
wink.gif

You know it's gonna happen. It's like that one big thumb print on the lens of your camera...it just happens when you don't have anything to wipe it off with
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Yep, only a matter of time dangit. But it doesn't make much difference unless it's really blurring stuff otherwise it just tends to block a little light. Easy to clean with some acetone when back home but it is a pita.

Gotta be a better solution out there somewhere...

It's OK to use Acetone on your scopes glass??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pazzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's OK to use Acetone on your scopes glass?? </div></div>

Pretty much the std way to clean optics but I'd check w/mfg first. Takes some practice though and really needs to be done under magnification. I use an optivisor with an attached loupe and under a color-correct fluorescent light although it isn't strictly necessary. It works so well because it evaporates almost instantaneously as opposed to isopropyl alcohol for example and leaves no residue. I just use the stuff in the can at Wal-Mart, nothing special except to keep from getting it contaminated.

Gotta use wooden cotton tipped swabs and a pump dispenser to make it really safe for the optics. And use a swab exactly once and never put it back in the acetone pool in the dispenser cap if it's been used. Rule number two - see rule number one.

Trick is to get just enough to float any remaining particulates off the surface without causing scratches, trapping them in the swab instead, which is why you don't want to use the sort of swabs that are tightly wrapped as they aren't very absorbent. Applied lightly to the center, looking much like a mop at first when really soaked with lots of acetone, and then carefully spiraled outward to the edges the lens surface is progressively cleaned. It can take a _lot_ of swabs to do one surface, BTW. And as it gets cleaner you'd use less and less acetone soaked up in the swab tip until the surface is dead clean with maybe the faintest of spots out near the edge where the last swab left the surface.

Of course you can't do this if the lens is covered in lots of particles, especially coarse ones. Careful use of canned air, with the right kind of valve, and applied so as to avoid thermal shock works perfectly well but also takes practice and knowing which canned air, or valve type, to avoid. Brushes are kinda dangerous, I gave up on 'em and only use a lens pen or the like when it really doesn't matter much. OTOH, good quality lens cloths with a good quality lens cleaner (Schneider PhotoClear for instance) works pretty well, almost perfectly if you're not using magnification, but they won't get a lens perfectly clean and _will_ scratch due to particles you can't see, leaving scratches you can't see without magnification either. They also can wear away the coating over time since they work mostly by sc/rubbing the surface clean whereas the acetone method is far less physical.

Hope this makes sense, kinda hard to describe. And I wouldn't even attempt it without knowing exactly what you're doing, just so's you know. I'm not recommending this method, only outlining it. I did use it to clean the optics of a demo Zeiss T* PRF that came in Tuesday and it worked fine until I hit the ranging lens. D'Oh!! Wasn't happy with the acetone. At all. Salvaged it though and it works fine but lots of strong language for a bit.

HTH, Pete