• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report BC input mods in your app

Freediver111

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon
Working on a .338 win mag for hunting primarily. I have other rifles that I use for practice/competition and I have always had good luck using my Magnetospeed to confirm velocity, then tweaking the BC to meet my mil data at 1,000 yds.
With this .338, I’m using a 210 grain Hammer Hunter. These are custom lathed solids copper bullets and the G7 is listed at .266. I’m getting great groups and low SD/ES at 2970 FPS with H4350 powder.
So I finally get everything together to do stretch it out and confirm BC. With a BC of .266 I was shooting high at 1,000 so I upped the BC until it matched how many mils I actually needed to hit center. I came up with a G7 of .320. That seems a little high and seemingly large departure from other BC corrections I’ve done in the past. For example, 143 ELD-X are listed at .315 BC and for my gun I corrected it to .310 to match my results. Not a big change.
Does this check out, or not worry about it and just make sure my velocity is correct and roll with whatever BC matches my results, regardless of how far it is from the listed BC?

If it works for the ranges inbetween it too then I wold stick with it.

seemed to be spot on. Still need to take a few more trips to the range to really dial it in, but it was on from 500-1,000 with my corrected BC. I was shooting over the plates with .266 and had to up the BC a fair amount to match my real world Mil values. More testing needed, but I think it’s pretty close now.