• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing BC medalist stocks

Re: BC medalist stocks

I have one on my 700. Yes it is decent. Even though they claim the aluminum grip to tip and all that, I still bedded mine. I had a blind mag and just recently had it inletted for CDI bottom metal.

I put one on a Weatherby Vanguard to replace the tupperware stock it had originally had and was very pleased with it.

They work pretty well for the money...picked one up the other day from Stocky that was $100 off. Not a bad option for a budget project at that price.

What action do you have?

My Savage wears a B/C stock - it's been great. Rifle shoots great. It's bedded. My rifke started life as a blind mag, and I recently installed a CDI DBM. Issue there (at least with a Savage), is the bottom metal is sunk down (sub-flush) about .250", which looks ugly, IMHO. I need to bust out the belt sander and make it look right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great stocks.

Soon you will be able to order them inletted for popular magazine systems. </div></div>

That'd be nice...

It'd also be nice if B&C would throw Savage owners a bone and make the M40 and/or A3 Medalist for short-actions (even if only the newer 4.4" actions) and the A2 and/or M40 for long-actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great stocks.

Soon you will be able to order them inletted for popular magazine systems. </div></div>

That'd be nice...

It'd also be nice if B&C would throw Savage owners a bone and make the M40 and/or A3 Medalist for short-actions (even if only the newer 4.4" actions) and the A2 and/or M40 for long-actions.</div></div>

I agree with this big time, any idea when they will be sold already inletted?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great stocks.

that would be really nice!
Thanks for the info everyone. I Planned on bedding it anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bayou1535</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I agree with this big time, any idea when they will be sold already inletted? </div></div>

I would anticipate a month or two.

I should have some more info soon. I will check on the Savages too.

If you already have a Medalist with the full length aluminum block, can they be inletted to fit the Badger DBM?

Thanks,

RB

i have the same question i want to install a dbm on the b&c fully adjustable. anyone know a good place to send it? i would prefer it be done around the wichita ks area. Not badger theyre pretty pricy

My stock needed work for my action to fit. The rear tange was hitting, recoil lug rubbed and trigger needed to be opened. You also almost always need to bed it. For almost the same money, you could buy an hs precision which is much better quality. I would never buy another unless it was for my 22.

Mine seems to be ok. I will bed it some day. but for now its good and for $200 its a lot better on my budget than the rest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My stock needed work for my action to fit. The rear tange was hitting, recoil lug rubbed and trigger needed to be opened. You also almost always need to bed it. For almost the same money, you could buy an hs precision which is much better quality. I would never buy another unless it was for my 22. </div></div>

I have 3. This has not been the case on any.

The trigger recess may need to be opened up for some triggers, but even the Timney (which is notorious for needing it) worked fine on the Light Tactical.

I have not needed to bed any that I have although I am planning on bedding one just to show if there is, or isn't an accuracy change. The fit on my 26" 700 is so good that after a couple thousand rounds through it, the marks on the bottom of the receiver have been transferred into the bedding block. I can pull the action from the stock for maintenance, re-torque it and be right back to zero.

Having seen a fair number of H&S stocks, I would not in any way consider them better quality. I fact Remington specifically addresses what H&S defects are NOT warranty issues when I went through the Armorer's School.

H&S work great for some, but I have no idea why you would choose one over a B&C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SLVGW360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you already have a Medalist with the full length aluminum block, can they be inletted to fit the Badger DBM?</div></div>

Yes. Any custom shop should be able to do it.

I don't know if B&C will do it on stocks that are already sold or if they are just going to do it for new orders.

I bought the cheapest Savage 12FV with the intent of putting the action in a B&C tactical/medalist stock. Couldn't be happier with the stock and a sub-MOA 22-250 for under $700. The webbing on the textured stocks is gloss. Doesn't bother me but it is an issue that is hard to see in the photos.

I put one under a 700 308, had it inletted for the M5 then added a karsten cheek piece and have really enjoyed it. I got it with the webbing then painted it all alumihide flat black and it looks and feels great. Consider the chote tactical as well, it is a solid stock.

On my Savage A2 Medalists I had to notch the rear of the trigger inlet for the Accutrigger to work, and ever-so-slightly open up the barrel channel to ensure a free float with a varmint weight barrel. The tang also wasn't 100% free floated, but after shooting 0.5 MOA groups (without bedding no less) I decided to leave well enough alone.

Total time investment: <10 minutes.

Im only complaining because I didnt get the results others did. I put my savage 10 in the b&c medalist and it did need work, which I figured I would have to do. But after getting it together and fitting properly I took it to the range. After hearing everyone's success they had, I was upset when my rifle no longer could hold a group. With the choate stock and 155's, I was holding 1/2 to sub 1/2 groups when I did my part. I took apart the stock and the recoil lug had uneven wear, only one side was touching the bedding block. I fitted it more carefully together next time and fired again but with the same results. Im assuming its the stock, but I may be just dumb because it could be the stock recoil lug. I actually have another b&c and hs precision on its way, maybe ill be more educated next time this question comes up.

Yah would like to know about the Savages, fingers crossed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bayou1535</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I agree with this big time, any idea when they will be sold already inletted? </div></div>

I would anticipate a month or two.

I should have some more info soon. I will check on the Savages too. </div></div>

I bought a B & C light tactical for my 700 AAC build. (Kind of copied LoneWolfUSMC's Budget Build from his web site.) I have a Timney 510 trigger and everything fits with no issue. I like the stock a lot. They are good for a budget build, if your not spending money on a high dollar stock. I am adding flush cups, texture and will be bedding it. I will post pictures when I am done.

My first nice tactical style bolt came came in a Varmint Tactical medalist stock. Barreled action is a factory 20" Remington 700 in 308 have shot several half MOA groups and the stock is not bedded. Its pretty comfortable at least to me nice large palm swells, and I would reccomend it especially at the price point if you don't want to drop the coin on a McMillan or Manners. If you can feel whichever model your looking at before buying it but I think you'd be happy with one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
SavageMOA said:
I can pull the action from the stock for maintenance, re-torque it and be right back to zero.
</div></div>

What did you torque it to? thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What did you torque it to? thanks </div></div>
I called Bell and Carlson after purchasing my rifle with a Medalist stock and they reccomend 65 inch pounds torquing the action to the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SigTauJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
SavageMOA said:
I can pull the action from the stock for maintenance, re-torque it and be right back to zero.
</div></div>

What did you torque it to? thanks </div></div>

I dont have a torque wrench so I tighten it till it stops then another half turn. Probably not up to the 65 lbs B&C recommends. I will have to look into it

I have a 700 S/A in a B&C A2 Medalist that I'm pretty happy with. The action is slightly chafing the aluminum bedding block showing that I don't have even contact. I also notice that the barrel is just barely canted to the right at the end of the barrel channel. I'm hoping to resolve this with a bedding job. Still doing my homework, but am considering Devcon and some spacers like these.

Great stocks! In fact I have one Im fixing to sell that is already inleted for a Rem 700 SA w/ a Badger M5. Fully bedded with a Karsten cheekpiece.

I Like mine, Light tac bedded, seekins DBM, Tim trigger, flush cups, textured and Karsten cheek rest. Shoot a .4 group on my last range day.
2012-01-27194706.jpg

2012-01-10221238.jpg