• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report BC or Speed

rabbitsnsuch

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2020
Outside
Which is more important to you, a bullet with a high BC and going a little slower, or going a wee bit fast but a little lower BC? Looking to see what others opinions are and see what comes from this topic. If curious was looking into the 6.5CM and .260Rem bullets not that it matters too much though. Thanks

-Fish

It’s a balancing act.

For my 260 now that it’s a 100 -1500 gun I like the 130 class bullets.
2975 fps with 130 eldm is very flat to 1200ish

For my 7 saum with an emphasis on 1500+ I chose 190’s at 2850 over 180’s at 2950.

At a mile the 190’s start doing better.
So BC over speed

Be honest with your distance priority’s and you’ll get the best results in your primary usages.

Reactions: Powder_Burns
Both matter so it’s just as @Steel head stated. It depends also on what you are trying to accomplish. If pushing for longer ranges at the fringe capability of your cartridge the bc starts to pay off, but if you can’t push it fast enough it can bite you. In the end velocity is part of the bc equation so it can’t be ignored, it has to be balanced.

Currently, only have regular access to 600yd, if that helps that rifle wont shoot past 1200 but maybe a few times in its life, 75-80% of the time in the 100-600yds, and the other 20-25% from 600-1200yds. I dont have any real expectations, just curious if anyone has seen any interesting results by running a lighter bullet and using the speed vs a high bc bullet going slower. I know at 600yds it isnt a huge difference but I'm a curious individual.

As long both are as consistent as they possibly can be, I don’t really care TOO much about either.

Depends. If you’re shooting close and want a flatter trajectory, fast.
When shooting far, like ELR ranges I look at cartridge capability and BC

PRS should be self explanatory because a lot of the more competitive individuals are using 6mms for the generally higher BC and lose recoil and loading them to fast speeds.

The most accurate and consistent load I’ve found for my newest 6.5CM barrel so far is with 140 Berger Hybrids running 2720. Fairly slow compared to 2900+ on my previous barrel and it was 2” shorter, but it is what it is. Extremely accurate and consistent, and I know I can shoot it wet, or hot, or hot and wet.

The most accurate and consistent load I’ve found for my newest 6.5CM barrel so far is with 140 Berger Hybrids running 2720. Fairly slow compared to 2900+ on my previous barrel and it was 2” shorter, but it is what it is. Extremely accurate and consistent, and I know I can shoot it wet, or hot, or hot and wet.
Were you running the 140's in the shorter barrel too?

Depends. If you’re shooting close and want a flatter trajectory, fast.
When shooting far, like ELR ranges I look at cartridge capability and BC

PRS should be self explanatory because a lot of the more competitive individuals are using 6mms for the generally higher BC and lose recoil and loading them to fast speeds.
I haven't jumped in the 6mm wagon yet, its appealing but trying to keep some sort of cartridge consistently haha

For the 600 to 1000 yards I go with the bullet with a little lower BC- for multiple reasons. Generally they are cheaper, more forgiving on load development, and (depending on how much velocity difference you are actually getting) are still very close to higher BC bullets at those distances.

I've seen way to many 156 bergers shot into a hill side at 200yrds.

For the 600 to 1000 yards I go with the bullet with a little lower BC- for multiple reasons. Generally they are cheaper, more forgiving on load development, and (depending on how much velocity difference you are actually getting) are still very close to higher BC bullets at those distances.

I've seen way to many 156 bergers shot into a hill side at 200yrds.
156 seems like an awfully big bullet for just 200 haha I wasn't even thinking of going over like 142ish, such a waste