• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report BC VS speed question

pd721el

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2008
Sioux Falls SD
Newby with a question. TIA I have been playing around on JBM lately and would like to know if there is a general rule as to how much additional velocity is need to over come say a .100 lower BC when comparing two bullets out of the same gun? Or the other way around if that is how it works out. I hope this makes sence.

Example 260 remington shooting a 140 berger VLD (BC .612) at 2700 Fps, drops 274" at 1000 or you shoot a 120 Ballistic Tip (BC .458) at XXXX Fps to have equal drop? The 120 has a .154 lower BC.
Thanks Eric

Re: BC VS speed question

An equation could be derived for it and used in an Excel spreadsheet. The question is what are you trying to match? It appears that you are focused on drop. You could match wind drift. Drop is easier to compensate for than wind drift (in practice).

Often, when you match two bullets for drop, the ligher one still loses out in wind drift.

keep in mind...the BC degrades as the projo flys....and of course what kombayotch says

Depending on the bullet, sometimes BC degrades as velocity drops, sometimes it improves (according to my Sierra load manual anyways).

Triggerfiftys data also shows the up and down BC based on velocity all the way through transonic. His data is spot on. But you would have to figure it would be as it was Doppler data.

This tends to be distance-specific.

Match drop for 500 and the slower, higher-BC bullet still hits higher at 1,000.

Yep, you definitely want to do the comparison at your maximum intended shooting distance.