• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BCG for an AR10 in 6.5 creedmoor?

Jnull

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2020
I’ve never messed with AR-10s so I don’t know much but what I read. I’ve read they’re a lot more finicky then AR15s.

I ordered a complete aero lower and upper (18” barrel) minus charging handle and BCG, I started looked at bolts and a lot of them have poor reviews. I’m sure this is due to the platform not being as forgiving and people just throwing shit together but figured I’d check here. I run most of my guns suppressed full time so I’ll likely get an OSS TI or Helios TI that’s dedicated to this rifle.

Should I just get an aero BCG since the rest of the gun is aero or are the JP weighted bolts and silent capture springs worth looking at? I run the SCPs in both my SBRs with adjustable gas blocks and great results. Should I also consider an adjustable gas block?

Last edited:
No complaints with my aero BCG. They should have the smaller firing pin hole as well.

I run a JP FMOS in my aero M5 receiver set with an 18" Criterion .308 barrel and it functions great. I do have the "regular" JP bolt but if running a 6.5CM I would go with the enhanced bolt. I also have the SCS and it works great but IMO not needed. I just get a discount at JP so I grab them for all of my gas guns. You don't need the VMOS the FMOS should work fine for you.

Reactions: Jnull
No complaints with my aero BCG. They should have the smaller firing pin hole as well.

I’m sure in a full aero rifle their bcg would be fine. I’m guessing the smaller firing pin hole is a good thing?

How do you decide if you want low, full of variable mass?
Not sure of the gas system on your 18" barrel but "if it were me" given the caliber and suppressed use, I would start with the FMOS and H2 buffer system. I do also run an AGB in mine which helps to fine tune. Many here will say they are unreliable but I've never had an issue running it in the bleed off setting. If running in a restricted setting I would make sure to oil and occasionally back out the adjustment screw as it can get seized up with carbon after a while.

With the oss it won't matter as much but you'll likely want to tune a bit for the cgs.

I use slr adjustable gas blocks, never had an issue with any of them on short-long .223, 300 blk, 308 and 6.5.

I recommend the JP high pressure bolt. I have no opinion on the carrier.
If you're shooting suppressed, you'll want an adjustable gas block.

This is the complete answer above. I have a AR10 6.5 CM. If you have an adjustable gas block, within reason, you can run whatever mass bolt you want as long as you spring and buffer it properly. The lower the mass of the bolt, the less mass getting slung around which feels like less recoil. I have a heavy JP spring, a .8 oz Tacom plastic buffer, and a titanium bolt carrier with a JP enhanced small firing pin HP bolt. Yes .8 ounces. Works great for me and it’s as soft shooting as my AR15’s even though the gun weights 6.5# without an optic. I don’t nessesarily recommend that light a buffer though as you need to have a very good idea of how the gas system works, how to adjust it properly, and what to watch for. It’s just an example of what can be done.

Not sure of the gas system on your 18" barrel but "if it were me" given the caliber and suppressed use, I would start with the FMOS and H2 buffer system. I do also run an AGB in mine which helps to fine tune. Many here will say they are unreliable but I've never had an issue running it in the bleed off setting. If running in a restricted setting I would make sure to oil and occasionally back out the adjustment screw as it can get seized up with carbon after a while.

It’s a mid length gas system

I use slr adjustable gas blocks, never had an issue with any of them on short-long .223, 300 blk, 308 and 6.5.
I run SLRs on my 11.3” 5.56 and 8.3” 300BO with no complaints. I did get a superlative arms adjustable for my 80% 5.56 16” build but it’s still in pieces waiting for me to send it out for cerakote.

This is the complete answer above. I have a AR10 6.5 CM. If you have an adjustable gas block, within reason, you can run whatever mass bolt you want as long as you spring and buffer it properly. The lower the mass of the bolt, the less mass getting slung around which feels like less recoil. I have a heavy JP spring, a .8 oz Tacom plastic buffer, and a titanium bolt carrier with a JP enhanced small firing pin HP bolt. Yes .8 ounces. Works great for me and it’s as soft shooting as my AR15’s even though the gun weights 6.5# without an optic. I don’t nessesarily recommend that light a buffer though as you need to have a very good idea of how the gas system works, how to adjust it properly, and what to watch for. It’s just an example of what can be done.

Sounds pretty awesome, thanks for the response.

Reactions: KYAggie
I’m sure in a full aero rifle their bcg would be fine. I’m guessing the smaller firing pin hole is a good thing?

Yes, a must have for a 6.5 creedmoor in my opinion. It helps with primers cratering even at lower pressure.

It’s a mid length gas system

Mid length on an 18" is long dwell length. If you go JP I'd use a full mass or vmos if you can or want to go heavier.

I'd probably only use the oss as well.

Longer dwell length more gas sensitive, earlier unlocking more gas in face.

Mid length on an 18" is long dwell length. If you go JP I'd use a full mass or vmos if you can or want to go heavier.

I'd probably only use the oss as well.

Longer dwell length more gas sensitive, earlier unlocking more gas in face.

I’m not working in a budget but obviously don’t want to spend more then necessary. I’ll get a superlative arms gas block. OSS over the CGS even with their vented end cap? I’m not sure now the Helios with the vented cap compares to the OSS with back pressure.

The Helios is supposed to be awesomely quiet for the size so I’d probably whore it out to one of my hunting rifles as well. And it’s in stock where the OSS isn’t.

I’m not working in a budget but obviously don’t want to spend more then necessary. I’ll get a superlative arms gas block. OSS over the CGS even with their vented end cap? I’m not sure now the Helios with the vented cap compares to the OSS with back pressure.

The Helios is supposed to be awesomely quiet for the size so I’d probably whore it out to one of my hunting rifles as well. And it’s in stock where the OSS isn’t.

https://pewscience.com/rankings

omega_labeled_6.63_wm.png

omega_zone_chart.png

back_pressure_suppression_plot_6.41_wm.png

The cgs with the vented cap is loud. I don't ever plan on using mine. Hopefully they'll come out with a better cap or e brakes type deal that has better at ear numbers while reducing back pressure.

With the standard end cap the Helios is exceptionally quiet for it's size. Check out the ranks page and it's review.

https://pewscience.com/rankings

omega_labeled_6.63_wm.png

omega_zone_chart.png

back_pressure_suppression_plot_6.41_wm.png

The cgs with the vented cap is loud. I don't ever plan on using mine. Hopefully they'll come out with a better cap or e brakes type deal that has better at ear numbers while reducing back pressure.

With the standard end cap the Helios is exceptionally quiet for it's size. Check out the ranks page and it's review.

How is the Hyperion K getting such good suppression numbers with low back pressure? I thought they were pretty similar to the Helios and would perform similarly.

I’ve never messed with AR-10s so I don’t know much but what I read. I’ve read they’re a lot more finicky then AR15s.

I ordered a complete aero lower and upper (18” barrel) minus charging handle and BCG, I started looked at bolts and a lot of them have poor reviews. I’m sure this is due to the platform not being as forgoing and people just throwing shit together but figured I’d check here. I run most of my guns suppressed full time so I’ll likely get an OSS TI or Helios TI that’s dedicated to this rifle.

Should I just get an aero BCG since the rest of the gun is aero or are the JP weighted bolts and silent capture springs worth looking at? I run the SCPs in both my SBRs with adjustable gas blocks and great results. Should I also consider an adjustable gas block?
stick with Aero and you will be fine. try and keep the same manufacturer since you are new to ar10 platforms. your aero bcg will perform just as well as the higher priced ones as that has been my experience. JP is outstanding but diminishing returns and all that.
yes to adjustable gas block as well

How is the Hyperion K getting such good suppression numbers with low back pressure? I thought they were pretty similar to the Helios and would perform similarly.

Their baffle technology. Design differences leading to better flow rate. You'd have to ask Josh at cgs for specifics.

PEW Science Note 2: The CGS Hyperion K is identical, in all aspects other than the mounting thread pitch, to the CGS Helios DT. The Hyperion K is not the same silencer as the CGS Helios QD, in either internal or external features. Though the silencers share some design similarities, the Helios QD generates more back pressure, is larger, and has a significantly different gas flow entrance geometry feeding the silencer core. Subsonic performance of the Helios QD is the subject of a future Sound Signature Review.

BTHqGc3.jpg

The Helios qd is quieter but on your longer dwell semi auto host the Hyperion K would probably be better to your ear and you'd have less gas in your face.

That's just my opinion, you could always reach out to Josh at cgs. They'd probably be happy to answer. The helios qd ti is pretty cool but I do think the Hyperion K would probably be better for your host.

Z2SrVtS.jpg

tejD57r.jpg

jOWK8H8.jpg

Their baffle technology. Design differences leading to better flow rate. You'd have to ask Josh at cgs for specifics.

PEW Science Note 2: The CGS Hyperion K is identical, in all aspects other than the mounting thread pitch, to the CGS Helios DT. The Hyperion K is not the same silencer as the CGS Helios QD, in either internal or external features. Though the silencers share some design similarities, the Helios QD generates more back pressure, is larger, and has a significantly different gas flow entrance geometry feeding the silencer core. Subsonic performance of the Helios QD is the subject of a future Sound Signature Review.

BTHqGc3.jpg

The Helios qd is quieter but on your longer dwell semi auto host the Hyperion K would probably be better to your ear and you'd have less gas in your face.

That's just my opinion, you could always reach out to Josh at cgs. They'd probably be happy to answer. The helios qd ti is pretty cool but I do think the Hyperion K would probably be better for your host.

Z2SrVtS.jpg

tejD57r.jpg

jOWK8H8.jpg

Thanks for all the help man, you’ve given me some things to consider.

Reactions: Clayman
Well I ended up ordering a Hyperion K for the 6.5 and also grabbed a Helios QD TI for my 16” 556 coyote gun since Capitol armory had them both in stock.

The Lantac enhanced BCGs are highly underrated in my opinion. A little bit cheaper than the JPS but that slick coating makes for really easy cleaning and it functions great in my 6.5 Creedmoor AR10. It is a heavy bcg. Definitely what you want for that type of build

I ended up getting the JP LMOS and their H2 SCS with the different springs. Also got a superlative adjustable gas block. Hopefully I can tune it to run good with those and the Hyperion K.

Reactions: bigjake83
Got the 6.5 and a Christensen with a pulsar thermal scope sighted in today for a weekend coyote hunt. Didn’t put a lot through either gun since it rained all day but I’m happy with the results. The LMOS JP bcg functioned fine with the stock buffer and gas block with the sandman Ti.

I gave my buddy a magazine so he can machine me a lower vice block outta delrin. Once he gets that done I’ll get the buffer retainer out to make it a little easier getting the SCS in and out. I stuck it in there to check fit and it looks like the buffer tubes gonna need screwed in a bit even using the included shim. Hopefully I can break the staked castle nut loose with a delrin vice block. I’ll get the adjustable gas block on once I can send it out to be pinned but I’m pretty happy it functioned flawlessly with just the JP LMOS, shot pretty soft too. The sandman Ti is fine till the Hyperion K gets approved. I also bought a Helios QD Ti at the same time for the Christensen pictured.