• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BCGs “Optimized” for Suppressors

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
I am in the market for a new 5.56 and .308 BCG. I will use the rifles with a suppressor 99% of the time. The rifles are an SBR 5.56 and 16” .308.

Is there anything to these suppressor optimized / enhanced BCGs?

I see the LMT, LWRC, CMC and Lantac specifically call out design enhancements that help with gas expulsion.

Anyone have experience with these? I will part with the money if the LMT is worth it but I didn’t know if anyone likes the other options out there.

Second the Bootleg. I have 2 with probably 10k+ rounds between them across a couple different small frame uppers. SBR and DMR setups. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

I have also used the LMT. Worked similarly well as far as gas dispersion went, but I didn’t put more than a couple hundred rounds on it before the rifle got sold.

I’ve been running Bootlegs now for 6 years, primarily on my 12” Grendel and even dropped one into my 17.6” Lilja MLGS Grendel.

The 12” Grendel gets shot suppressed exclusively, runs like a raped ape.

I also sprung it heavier with an extra power action spring, normal carbine buffer (2.9oz).

I run the suppressed fully setting (4), which is easily adjustable through the ejection port. CLGS, runs great, no issues.

For the 17.6” Lilja, I noticed non-optimal ejection and cycling with a lighter 110gr PPU load, so I just dialed back the choke setting until it was ejecting at 4:30, ran like a champ.

I’m not aware of any similar product for AR-10s. The AR-10 market really could use one though. They would sell like freaking crack.

I also have a Bootleg.

It works well but:
- it has less adjustment range than a gas block. If your rifle is severely over gassed it probably wont be enough
- even in the "normal" position it still seems to cycle slower than a standard BCG. Normally no big deal, but if you have an optimized gas port it may not run reliably without a can.

I use the bootleg on a Black River Tactical 12.5 with their oddball gas port between carbine and mid. It's on the ragged edge unsuppressed with weak 223 ammo. With a can on I usually run it in the middle 2 positions.

Would not bleeding off the excess gas outside the upper receiver, like an adjustable bleed off gas block, keep the action cleaner?

I also have a Bootleg.

It works well but:
- it has less adjustment range than a gas block. If your rifle is severely over gassed it probably wont be enough
- even in the "normal" position it still seems to cycle slower than a standard BCG. Normally no big deal, but if you have an optimized gas port it may not run reliably without a can.

I use the bootleg on a Black River Tactical 12.5 with their oddball gas port between carbine and mid. It's on the ragged edge unsuppressed with weak 223 ammo. With a can on I usually run it in the middle 2 positions.
Roger that. I have an adjustable gas on both the .308 and 5.56 so this is just an extra attempt to tame the gas.

I’m not sure the LMT 308’s work the same as the LMT enhanced 556 carriers. All of my LMT 308 rifles were still gassy as fuck with a ton of gas to the face running suppressed but LMT’s are generally over gassed so who knows.

Reactions: Cold_Bore_88
I built a pair of 6.5 CM with 20” +2 Proof CF barrels in the peak of everything being in short supply a couple years back. As a result, went with RCA adjustable key BCG’s and after some fiddling with the stop screws, was able to dial to a position both would function properly both suppressed and not. Maybe a bit more energetic suppressed, but functional.
Only issue I had was with the screws used to lock in the gas flow. In spite of them having loctite on them, one screw sets gas flow, another that sits on top locks initial screw into place. While fiddling with settings, had some trouble assuring I wasn’t moving initial screw in further before locking it all down. Some form of detent in screw/setting might assure absence of further movement.
Was my first experience with the adjustable key, and while it works quite well once it’s all adjusted, was a bit more fiddly than simpler adjustment on a Bootleg or AGB. I have other non adjustable RCA BCG’s and they are a high quality product-would definitely buy again. May try Bootleg on a new build to get some experience with same, as all current builds have AGB and SCS to control gas flow.

Reactions: aviumvenator
LMT *enhanced* carrier with a Superlative block is peak gassing in 2023. Add in a JP gas ring for better functioning and seal. The LMT carrier has delayed/extended unlock and extra venting.

Reactions: ELCO82
Oh nice! Dumb question, can I use my existing bolt, retainer and firing pin on this?
Should be able to but you should really keep your eye out for lmt's enhanced bolt as well to pair with it. It has things going for it as well. Look up "small arms solution" on YouTube and he has a video explaining the benefits of it. Very informative

Reactions: Cold_Bore_88
Should be able to but you should really keep your eye out for lmt's enhanced bolt as well to pair with it. It has things going for it as well. Look up "small arms solution" on YouTube and he has a video explaining the benefits of it. Very informative
I ended up calling to confirm with LMT. You can use their BCG with standard parts.

Reactions: Not_A_Llama
I have a Bootleg sitting in the box after being returned to me from Bootleg confirming it was in 100% working order. I could not get it to function with the A5 buffer system regardless of buffer weight. Tried it on 3 different rifles all with A5 systems and H0 buffers. My only rifle with a standard buffer system (my old patrol rifle with staked castle nut) has an adjustable gas block so Im not swapping gas blocks to hope it works in that. So in its box it sits. My "go-to" rifle, that I originally intended to use the Bootleg, shoots perfectly with a fixed block, A5 system, and A5H4 buffer and K can. If I want to take the suppressor off, I switch to an A5H3 and its perfect. I just went with an AO precision carrier and a JP enhanced bolt.

I have a Bootleg sitting in the box after being returned to me from Bootleg confirming it was in 100% working order. I could not get it to function with the A5 buffer system regardless of buffer weight. Tried it on 3 different rifles all with A5 systems and H0 buffers. My only rifle with a standard buffer system (my old patrol rifle with staked castle nut) has an adjustable gas block so Im not swapping gas blocks to hope it works in that. So in its box it sits. My "go-to" rifle, that I originally intended to use the Bootleg, shoots perfectly with a fixed block, A5 system, and A5H4 buffer and K can. If I want to take the suppressor off, I switch to an A5H3 and its perfect. I just went with an AO precision carrier and a JP enhanced bolt.
That's odd. I'm using the Bootleg on a minimally gassed 12.5 with an A5H2.

The 12.5 barrel is a BRT with their "EX-C" length gas port. It's between mid and carbine.

Reactions: thedude824
I use a LMT carrier and a Black River Tactical gas tube with specified size gas port.
I only did the gas tube because I have a KAC URXII I cant easily remove and its an older VERY overgassed 11.5" DD barrel.
The gas tube is a cheap way to get exactly the port size you want, but it will erode over time.
BRT is very good with helping you pick a size if you are not sure.

Those RifleSpeed adjustable gas blocks are on sale and I always thought they were a good option the way the collar sticks out under the rail

That's odd. I'm using the Bootleg on a minimally gassed 12.5 with an A5H2.

The 12.5 barrel is a BRT with their "EX-C" length gas port. It's between mid and carbine.
Thats disappointing (for me). I initially had it on a midlength gas 14.5" Criterion. It wasn't even close to functioning. I sent it to Bootleg and they said it was 100% functional. In fact, the same suppressor that requires an A5H4 buffer with fixed gas block required the Bootleg carrier to be on the unsuppressed full gas setting with an A5H0 to function. For that reason I won't sell it.