• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BCM 20” SAM-R not shooting

MrFriendly

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2023
Arkansas
Shooting just reloads, 77, 69, and 62gr Sierras, Noslers, Hornady bullets, multiple types of powders, multiple types of brass including Starline, Lapua, and Salt Lake. Absolutely cannot get this barrel under 1 MOA 5 shot groupings at 100. Matter of fact the best grouping I got with this barrel was 1.7”. My 18” DD S2W is much more accurate (I’ve got 10 round groups that were sub MOA). Bore scoping the BCM barrel, it’s immaculate. It’s getting to the point where I’m wanting to pull the barrels and swap upper receivers. Maybe my Colt upper is just $h!t. But any suggestions?

Reactions: JS8588
Although the barrel looks good on the inside doesn't mean it's not the barrel. I've seen range reports with BCM SS barrels that showed lackluster results in the same range you described with factory match ammo.

I'd try the other barrel in the SAM-R set up and see if it shoots sub-MOA like it did in the other upper. Use the same muzzle device, gas block, etc., only change the barrel. That should whittle it down quick as to where the problem is, hopefully.

Reactions: JS8588
Although the barrel looks good on the inside doesn't mean it's not the barrel. I've seen range reports with BCM SS barrels that showed lackluster results in the same range you described with factory match ammo.

I'd try the other barrel in the SAM-R set up and see if it shoots sub-MOA like it did in the other upper. Use the same muzzle device, gas block, etc., only change the barrel. That should whittle it down quick as to where the problem is, hopefully.
Thanks, I’ll get on that later tonight then report my findings after my next range trip. If it groups well with the other barrel, looks like I’ll be getting rid of the SAM-R barrel. Using funds from that to buy a WOA or CLE.

Reactions: simonp
Ok, I’ll be the first to suggest grabbing a box of FGMM before throwing in the towel on the barrel.

Reactions: Dendro
I just wonder how much “metal migration” you have at the gas port. I've been focused on this aspect lately. I’ve got barrels with no metal migration shooting great right out the box. Then I got WOA not settling the migration till 150rnds. SPR 18” rifle length gas port sizes of .100 and greater get the migration moreso. Big ass hole.

Got Borescope photos?

Shooting just reloads, 77, 69, and 62gr Sierras, Noslers, Hornady bullets, multiple types of powders, multiple types of brass including Starline, Lapua, and Salt Lake. Absolutely cannot get this barrel under 1 MOA 5 shot groupings at 100. Matter of fact the best grouping I got with this barrel was 1.7”. My 18” DD S2W is much more accurate (I’ve got 10 round groups that were sub MOA). Bore scoping the BCM barrel, it’s immaculate. It’s getting to the point where I’m wanting to pull the barrels and swap upper receivers. Maybe my Colt upper is just $h!t. But any suggestions?

curious what trigger you have and have you had good luck with other scoped rifles or are you new to this game?

curious what trigger you have and have you had good luck with other scoped rifles or are you new to this game?
Larue 2 stage trigger. And no I’m not new. I’ve swapped barrels between my two uppers, like others had suggested. Shot 75 gr. Sierras, 10 round grouping through the 20” was about 1.9 MOA vs. my 18” which was 1.1 MOA. I’ve had DoD contract overruns that were more accurate than this BCM. Unfortunately it’s way past their warranty. This barrel is basically useless to me, and I’d hate to waste more time and components on it.

Reactions: tucaz
I just wonder how much “metal migration” you have at the gas port. I've been focused on this aspect lately. I’ve got barrels with no metal migration shooting great right out the box. Then I got WOA not settling the migration till 150rnds. SPR 18” rifle length gas port sizes of .100 and greater get the migration moreso. Big ass hole.

Got Borescope photos?
No borescope photos, but metal migration? Would that effect accuracy?

BCM SS barrels are not known to be great shooters. I’ve had at least a dozen BCM uppers and the CL barrels have all been more accurate than the SS ones I’ve had. Some of the CL’s have been downright impressive.

I’d send that shit back and get a CLE, Proof, or almost anything else.
I wonder why they don’t shoot. Criterion makes the barrels for them, I’ve heard they were half decent. Unfortunately, CLE stopped making barrels. I thought about buying a .224 Lilja barrel and having a good friend who hosts benchrest competitions and builds his own rifles, and turns them from blanks. Contemplated seeing if he’d be willing to see if he’d convert a Lilja Remington 700 barrel to an AR-15 barrel. Unfortunately those cost $430 now.