• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BCM Gunfighter Mod 1 SOPMOD Stock

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2005
    Winchester Virginia
    I had another review published that I wanted to share but really I wanted to highlight the Gunfighter Mod 1 SOPMOD stock from BCM. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'm a fan boy but I've used a number of BCM products and I've generally been very happy with them. I guess it was last year I decided that I wanted to try something different stock wise for my accuracy focused AR's and started looking around. I went around to the usual suspects but BCM had just released the Mod 1 SOPMOD and man was it intriguing. Up until then I'd been using a Vltor E-Mod and Magpul SL-S on my SPR and Recce rifles respectively, great stocks but neither one really perfect for me. The Vltor had the notches on the sides that caught hairs and the funky shape of the SL-S didn't jive well with my rear bag...first world problems.

BCM Mod 1 SOPMOD Profile

So, what the BCM brought to the table for me was a wide body design like the Vltor and Magpul, along with a great clubfoot for riding a bag. I don't have the exact dimensions but the BCM is smaller than the E-Mod and a little bigger than the SL-S so a pretty good middle ground. It has two different sling attachment methods on each side of the stock, I can either run the sling through the loop or attach it with QD sling swivels

Lock up is best described as very snug on a mil-spec receiver extension, all without the need for internal springs or secondary locking devices. There's a captured pin at the rear of the stock, push on that and butt pad reveals a pretty generous storage compartment for batteries, tools, or nummies and chewies.

BMC Mod 1 SOPMOD Storage.jpg

Updated SPR.jpg

I've found that with optics mounted right around 1.4" or lower, I really don't need a cheek riser on an AR so the lack of one doesn't bother me a bit on this SPR. The footprint of the clubfoot lends itself well to shooting off a rear bag too, probably a little better than the E-Mod I used to use.

BCM Mod 1 SOPMOD Rear Bag.jpg

I've used this stock from the prone, shooting positional, from a tripod, and I have to say it's definitely a worthy successor to the E-Mod I'd been using since God knows when, probably 2008 or so. I picked up another Mod 1 and use that on my Recce rifle now too. These are definitely worth a look if you're putting together a similar rifle and want a simple but functional stock.

I agree, this is a great stock. I've had mostly Magpul on all my stuff, and it's good, functions well, durable, ect. The BCM has that little clubfoot that makes shooting off of bags much easier. Plus it seems to not catch my beard as much as the Magpul does

not a bad stock at all and it does balance nicely. I got to sample a buddies recently on a range trip. Nice post but my favorite is still the vltor emod. Don't think there is a better stock to be honest

Thanks for the review, been looking for something that is similar to my BCM stock with a bit more toe for a bag. Will look into this one as I love my standard BCM stock.

Damn, more money I have to spend!

Seriously, I’ve been eying something like this for my 6mm ARC build. This might fit the need well.

Imo, without some form of cheek riser system built into the stock, then it is of no use to me. It appears that stock is lacking such a feature?

I agree, it is an excellent stock. No cheek riser needed.