• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BCM MK2 BFH Govt Profile Accuracy? Also looking Centurion LW

TacticalChihuahua

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2020
San Diego
Hey all,

Asking kind of a specific question here that I wasn’t able to find. The new MK2 claims a more rigid upper. Has anyone with real world experience noticed improved accuracy out of them? I’m considering the govt profile

Comparing it also to the centurion “lightweight” barreled uppers. Odd that Centurion call them lightweight - they are actually an ounce heavier than BCM’s govt profile barrel! But I’ve heard that centurion is very accurate as well.

I’m interested in hearing from people that have used high quality or match grade ammo - not m193 or anything. And specifically the MK2 uppers vs the centurion.

Any help appreciated thanks!

BCM in my experience over torques the snot out of their barrel nuts. I've heard of people gaining accuracy by merely loosening and re-torquing their barrel down.

The only BCM I've tested for accuracy was a standard 16" gov barreled quad, and it shot about 1.25" at 100yds for five most of the time with 77gr black hills.
All of this is from memory though.

Reactions: tucaz
I remember seeing an old thread where Molon
did a test on a lightweight barrel of theirs and it was shooting right around 1 MOA. I thought this was surprising out of a lightweight barrel and it’s also not really consistent with what you read around here on the form from others. I’m wondering if he may just got a lucky barrel or what?

Hey all,

Asking kind of a specific question here that I wasn’t able to find. The new MK2 claims a more rigid upper. Has anyone with real world experience noticed improved accuracy out of them? I’m considering the govt profile

Comparing it also to the centurion “lightweight” barreled uppers. Odd that Centurion call them lightweight - they are actually an ounce heavier than BCM’s govt profile barrel! But I’ve heard that centurion is very accurate as well.

I’m interested in hearing from people that have used high quality or match grade ammo - not m193 or anything. And specifically the MK2 uppers vs the centurion.

Any help appreciated thanks!

They probably average 1.5-2MOA.

If accuracy is your thing I'd skip lightweight barrels altogether and get a 16" HBAR from somebody like white oak.

Reactions: Bakwa

If accuracy is your thing I'd skip lightweight barrels altogether and get a 16" HBAR from somebody like white oak.
Or Craddock...

^this

It’s not that a lightweight barrel can’t be accurate (precise) but most Gov profiled barrels aren’t starting their life with a manufacturer who’s intent is to make a barrel for precision applications.

Out of a theoretical batch of say 100 “run of the mill” AR barrels you’ll have a handful of laser beamers that for just the luck of the draw happen to be 1 MOA capable (assuming you apply good fundamentals and quality ammo) the other 90 or so will probably be in a medium of 1.25-2 MOA and the last bunch are the horror shows.

Statistically speaking you probably going to be underwhelmed with a BCM barrel if you’re hoping for Sub-MOA.

Statistically speaking you probably going to be underwhelmed with a BCM barrel if you’re hoping for Sub-MOA.

I think their stainless ones are criterion, chrome lined were green mountain at one time. Honestly never got the whole BCM thing they just assemble stuff using basic parts you can get anywhere for less money. Suppose there's a higher resale value though vs "I built it myself!".

Mostly what was said immediately above.
BCM's chrome lined barrels are good durable, reasonable accurate barrels but are surely not precision by anybody imagination, nor do they really pretend to be. Neither are their SS barrels known to be top tier for accuracy.

And that MK2 upper is not going the change that at all.

There are plenty of "stiffer", heavier walled uppers available right now if you really believe that to be a game changer, like SanTan, Vltor, Cross Machine to name a few.

If you want a more accuracy In a chrome lined barrel than what BCM offers, the Criterion Core series is a better choice but to get to the best level of consistency you'll need an SS barrel from one of the half dozen or so known suppliers with a reliable performance record.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

Reactions: bfoosh006 and BCP
I think their stainless ones are criterion, chrome lined were green mountain at one time. Honestly never got the whole BCM thing they just assemble stuff using basic parts you can get anywhere for less money. Suppose there's a higher resale value though vs "I built it myself!".
Supposedly you're paying for a bit more than that.
As I recall, it was a big deal that 6 or 8 years ago BCM was turning away batches of parts that weren't up to their spec when there was a shortage in AR's. They very well could have just pumped out AR's with those parts and made more money, but they didn't.

I think that the idea behind them is that they have a higher standard for their parts and you also have their warranty.

That said, I don't own any of their stuff right now. I'm not opposed to them though.

^this

It’s not that a lightweight barrel can’t be accurate (precise) but most Gov profiled barrels aren’t starting their life with a manufacturer who’s intent is to make a barrel for precision applications.

Out of a theoretical batch of say 100 “run of the mill” AR barrels you’ll have a handful of laser beamers that for just the luck of the draw happen to be 1 MOA capable (assuming you apply good fundamentals and quality ammo) the other 90 or so will probably be in a medium of 1.25-2 MOA and the last bunch are the horror shows.

This is precisely why certain 1-off, "tests" of a single barrels are given too much stock to beyond giving one a ballpark of what to expect.

In the few cases I've been able to draw a DD or Hodge that's consistently MOAish or better, it's rare that it isn't heat, ammo, or muzzle device sensitive...under 10% and in the single-digit percentages.

With most CHF, gov, chrome lined, be happy and drive on with 1.5 MOA, and expect 2 as an average.

IMHO, from plenty of past experience the **consistent** barrel to barrel accuracy of any BCM barrel is just alright and you will have some that shoot better and some that will shoot worse. I personally think there are better options out there in a hard use barrel or SPR / RECCE precision type barrel.

i have a couple centruion barrels, 11.5 and 12.5 hammer forged lightweights.

the 12.5 has made me happy for accuracy and for consistency in POI with different bullets, at least at 50yds on paper. federal xm193, fusion 62gr and mk318 all print in the same bullseye

i had a nice 3 shot group of razor core that was about 1/2” at 50 yds with a TR24 on there, off center from my zero though.

they are well gassed too, atleast the 12.5 is. both of these are suppressed and the 11.5 needed a BRT tube to slow it down. my cans are old original AAC’s though and pretty gassy.

i do like the centurion barrels though.

I personally think there are better options out there in a hard use barrel or SPR / RECCE precision type barrel.

But what of a "hard-use 'recce'"? There in lies the trick....:cool:

Does one continue to chase the elusive sub-moa chrome-line/CHF....or go deep into the weeds of the a (hopefully) longer-lasting stainless. While I know some here go through barrels like toothpicks and wear that as a badge of honor...the availability for some to be able to procure new barrels for this particular platform seems to be dwindling each day.

Reactions: Bakwa
But what of a "hard-use 'recce'"? There in lies the trick....:cool:

Does one continue to chase the elusive sub-moa chrome-line/CHF....or go deep into the weeds of the a (hopefully) longer-lasting stainless. While I know some here go through barrels like toothpicks and wear that as a badge of honor...the availability for some to be able to procure new barrels for this particular platform seems to be dwindling each day.

stainless lasts longer than a CL?

• Haha
Reactions: BCP and dms416