• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BCM SS410 barrels

Scotts556

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2009
Texas
Has anyone ever used one? They say they are hand lapped and button rifled. I wonder how they compare to WOA and other barrels in the sub 400$ price range? You never really here anything about their barrels and precision rifles in the same sentence. Is there a reason? Or are their barrels precision oriented barrels just not well known and good stuff? Or should I stick to tried and true.

Attachments

• 31CC5D50-46FC-4F87-8D84-BB30DFFE2E4E.jpeg
    31CC5D50-46FC-4F87-8D84-BB30DFFE2E4E.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 3F34CC7A-E72F-4950-86DB-183A383D08EB.jpeg
    3F34CC7A-E72F-4950-86DB-183A383D08EB.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 204
I think you answered your own question-you never hear BCM and precision in same sentence-other then maybe the MK12. Stick with tried and true IMO. I have 4 BCMs BTW-all chrome no SS.

Reactions: Tono
I think you answered your own question-you never hear BCM and precision in same sentence-other then maybe the MK12. Stick with tried and true IMO. I have 4 BCMs BTW-all chrome no SS.

While I’d normally agree, itnever hurts to ask. Never head of CLE till 2 months ago either, so figured I’d ask before I write them off.

Reactions: The DFC
Some are good some are...not so good. A search will yield many reports of subpar accuracy/precision from what is billed as a match grade barrel. Too inconsistent for me especially at an almost $50 premium to WOA which is almost guaranteed to be a shooter. Im seeing a 16" mid at $325 for BCM and $280 for WOA. Hell even if they were the same cost WOA gets my vote every time.

Reactions: Tono and shotdown
I have an 18” BCM SS410 and could never get it to shoot less than 1.2” at 100 yds with 77gr bullets. I bought it back in 2013 and used it for 3-Gun and worked fine. However, now that I want a sub-MOA AR, I am looking for better options.
WOA, PROOF, Rainier, etc.

Reactions: Tono
My SS410 barreled BCM's in 16" 18" and 20" have not lived up to my precision expectations... they are regulated to the back of the safe.

The builds are GTG, but the barrels have not done as well as I would have liked.

I like BCM's stuff, I have their upper receivers, rails, gas block, charging handles, rail covers, etc...BUT from the reports and stuff that I've seen featuring their SS barrels, I'll pass. To be fair, maybe the shooter's experience and ammunition selection played a part in the reviews/reports but why take the chance...

So...I'll leave this right here

I have an 18" rifle length on my 3 gun rifle. It does fine for that purpose, not so much for precision. I threw a scope on it and it will do about 1"@100yds with 77gr FGMM.

Read the fine print. he says his 410 is superior to conventional 416....not 416R from crucible which is US steel like the premium 416R barrels from good American barrel makers. ..conventional 416 is usually chinese shit like the 410...

Two of my my friends got the SPR barrels and both were a bit disappointed.
They didn’t shoot tragically but they weren’t anything special.

My son just ordered a BCM Recon upper. We will know soon enough. Im not expecting it to shoot like the CLE Krieger or Proof.

Well thanks guys. Sounds like I should just order the BCM upper I want and immediately pull and sell the barrel. Since it will be the only way to get the new MK2 upper.
Thanks.
scott

I would agree with some of the above info. I have had a couple BCM SS barrels. They have all been great and shot really well and were reliable. But, I have had much more accurate barrels for similar price ranges. I think they are great for practical accuracy if you can find an upper or complete rifle for a good deal.

Reactions: BCX
Well thanks guys. Sounds like I should just order the BCM upper I want and immediately pull and sell the barrel. Since it will be the only way to get the new MK2 upper.
Thanks.
scott

I've only bought their complete uppers (and lowers)-they're great IMO-for what I use them for-higher volume run and gun and carbine classes. Super light. 14.5"-"combat" accurate. I'm shooting bulk stuff anyways.

I have two of their MK12 complete uppers and have been very happy with the accuracy. Just like my bolt guns I build a load for them and has been pretty easy to get them to shoot the 69 SMKs and the 77 SMKs. Both guns will consistently shoot in .6s with known accuracy loads.

While I’d normally agree, itnever hurts to ask. Never head of CLE till 2 months ago either, so figured I’d ask before I write them off.
Back in the day(late 80s) the 3 top highpower smiths in the country were Frank White (CLE), Derrick Martin (Accuracy Speaks) and John Holliger (WOA). I'm not sure about the timeline but CLE once made all of WOAs barrels. As long as CLE tightens the barrel extension they are GTG.

BCMs 410ss barrels are made by Criterion, IF Criterion still does things the same way they did when a part of Krieger those barrels should shoot. Around 2007 I purchased 12 -5.56 barrels from different companies to test. 11 of those barrels had swelled bores at the muzzle and did not shoot very well. The one that was in spec was the Criterion. A .219 inspection pin should not slide in the muzzle and stop 3/4" in. A .218" pin should slide through from end to end. Removing the material at the muzzle to make a 1/2-28 thread allows the muzzle to swell, that is why I started making my 223 wylde barrels with a 5/8" muzzle thread and making sure the stress relief was done correctly.

I have a 16 inch mid length that I have been using for a few years along with a 16 inch hammer forged barrel. The stainless barrel shoots around 3/4 moa or so and and holds that out to 500 yards, barrel is also very consistent poi does not seem to change whether hot or cold. I use the gun in two gun and rifle matches plus as my main home defense rifle. Optic is a 1-4 so it might shoot better with a higher powered optic. Here is the weird thing I don't know if it is because of the 410 steel but the barrel did not shoot that well till it had about 3-400 rounds through it. Initially the gun would group about 1.5 which was disappointing because the hammer forged barrel is a tack driver. So for a while it was just used for drills and indoor matches, then I was testing ammo and noticed the gun was shooting way better and now is a fantastic shooting rifle. Go figure

I am a huge fan of BCM for combat carbines but was disappointed with the ss410 I had. It was “ok” but not what I was expecting. I’ve had better luck with WOA and also took a chance on a lightweight Rainier match for my comp gun. It’s been my favorite so far.

Reactions: BigTex
I’ve had a BCM 410SS 16” barrel for about 5 years I guess. It’s MOA or better (0.75 MOA maybe) with 77gr IMI ammo; but I’ve only got a 1-6x optic. Could be I might be able to shoot smaller holes with more magnification.

I’m not going to replace it, but if I’m buying another precision barrel it’ll be WOA since I’ve had great luck with them.

Seems to be about a 50/50 wash between they shoot okay and no-go. Sounds like not worth the trouble to me.

Scott

Seems to be about a 50/50 wash between they shoot okay and no-go. Sounds like not worth the trouble to me.

Scott
It’s just not a cutting edge accuracy barrel but it does cost a bit less than those.
They aren’t stinkers by any means.
If your just dropping yote’s or banging steel especially with factory ammo I think they’re a decent choice.

It’s just not a cutting edge accuracy barrel but it does cost a bit less than those.
They aren’t stinkers by any means.
If your just dropping yote’s or banging steel especially with factory ammo I think they’re a decent choice.

BCM has them listed for 340 on their website. A WOA barrel is 280

I have had a 16" one for some years now. Sub MOA with my 77 SMK hand loads using IMR 4895. This load was developed to the fastest accuray node, not max velocity. Very happy with it and it shoots pretty similar to the Lothar Walther barrel in my old Larue 18" stealth upper. Sub MOA is more than enough for me for the purpose of the rifles and they have both been very consistent in all conditions. Could I do better? Likely but would I notice it? Would I buy a BCM or Lothar barrel again? You bet.