• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BDC Reticle Worksheet

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2005
    Winchester Virginia
    BDC reticles aren't for everyone, hell I only have one optic that has one but I don't think they're as useless as some people think and with a few minutes of effort they can be pretty useful with a variety of bullets. I'm making a new DIY data book and one of the pages will be a BDC reticle worksheet to help map and true a BDC to a particular load, within reason. Potentially against my better judgement I'm sharing it here.

Mainly it works off the concept of tuning the trajectory by adjusting the zero offset at the zero distance to get the trajectories to better align, sort of like how Speed Drop creates a BDC out of a mil reticle. Adjusting about 1 MOA high or low at the zero distance will influence the trajectory about 25 yards.
    BDC TRUING WORKSHEET - EXAMPLE.jpg

Using JBM, Vortex LRBC, and Strelok Pro I proofed the process against reticles from Trijicon, Vortex, and Burris with known 55 gr and 77 OTM data and it worked pretty well, it almost makes me want to get another optic with a BDC...almost lol. Maybe the sheet will be useful to some.

Attachments

• BDC TRUING WORKSHEET_REV1.pdf
      105 KB · Views: 84
    Last edited:
    I agree with you completely. BDC's aren't for everyone but they are often overly bashed. I have a couple of them and use essentially the same process using a ballistic program, been doing it for years.

Fortunately, I have I have access to a pretty big range. I essentially true as best I can at 600 and adjust the zero offset accordingly to be within about 1 minute of angle across the BDC range.

It is very nice to see something on paper like that, great job. I might have to try it for myself because it looks very useful..

CM