• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BDL or DBM

Rhys

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Trying to decide if I'll put a DBM on my next build or go with an all steel hinged floorplate. How many of you still prefer to stay with the hinged floorplate? I went with a DBM on one of my current rifles to alleviate a feeding issue I was having with a longer aftermarket ADL box. The DBM systems are nice from a convenience standpoint for carrying extra ammo, but the BDL type setup sure makes for clean comfortable lines.

Re: BDL or DBM

Just had CDI precision dbm installed on my 308. I like the way it feeds over bdl style. Reason is with the bdl style it sometimes seemed hard to know if it grabbed a round. But with my new DBM it has proven very reliable so far and looks better to me.

I'm getting ready to build one with a FP.I've had both and they both have merrits.If it wont be used for comps or on a two way range I see no benefit to the DBM.

I agree its tough to be the clean lines and handiness of a traditional FP.As far as feed issues I have yet to see one on a 700 that cant be easily rectified.No rocket surgery there.

DBM wins my vote, unless you plan to do single shot.

I think it greatly depends on what the intended use is of the rifle. Like any other tool, certian fetures make it more usefull for the specific job. Thats why you have the choice of ADL, BDL, DBM and single shot. All of them excell for their intended use. BDL, personaly being my least favorite.

ADL:
perfect for a light weight build or a big game hunting rifle. You dont need 10 shots quick, you want it light weight (most of the time) and you want simplistic function. No worries about dumping your shels on the ground or loosing a mag when walking thru the brush.

BDL,
For the guy that likes to un load faster on a rifle that should be an ADL
smile.gif
BDL does nothing else for you.

Single shot: When you dont need more than one round at a time, benchrest, and some long range weapons.

DBM: when extra rounds are needed in a short ammount of time or if you just like them for the conviniance of loading. For tactical competitions these will give you a edge over a guy that does not have one for speedy reloads and more rounds down range in a given time. Its not always needed, but nice to have when you do. For hunting, sometimes a shorter magazine can be a nice addition expecially in states where a un loaded firearm is a must while traveling. If you do short hunts and back to the vehicle to another spot a 3 or sometimes a 5rd mag is nice to have. When you need more OAL available than factory a DBM is a good way to go.
Down sides..Longer the magazine sometimes carrying with a sling is problematic and you can loose a mag in the field. Also add more weight to the rifle.

So, what are you building? I have found that a build for a specific task will usually exceed your expectations where as a build to do multiple tasks (hunting and competition) will have compermises somewhere.

Choises are good, and so are multiple tools
smile.gif

I agree with Glen here as I feel the same way he does about the subject you mention. For me, what the rifles intended purpose is will dictate what it will be i.e. single,DBM etc. Also as Glen mentioned if you intend the rifle to be a multi-task weapon then you might have some compromises as to what you will make it to be. Finally sometimes it just comes down to what youre feeling or what looks good/better to you i.e. the clean lines look etc.

IMHO if you want clean lines and still have the capacity of several more rounds then you wont go wrong with an ADL. Smooth/clean lines,extra round capacity,lightweight etc.

But in the end its what pleases your eyes,purpose etc that will decide.

Goodluck with your build!

I'm building something a bit handier to take the place of my 18 pound .308 that I currently have on a Baker Special with a 28" 8.5 Broughton.

This one will only have a 18-20" Brux light palma in 6.5x47. I'm still torn between using either the Manners SL or the Manners T2A.

I originaly had my .308 in an ADL and used a longer than factory mag box, but the box was causing some problems with feeding and required the stock to be removed to relieve the issue. To eliminate that issue I went with Glen's DBM. Other than the mag sticking out as much as it does from the bottom of the rifle making it a bit uncomfortable to carry this has been great. I don't often need to be able to reload quickly, if I do it's because I screwed up somewhere. I do like the fact that spare ammunition is kept convenient, secure and protected. I think soem of it may come down to which of the stocks I go with.