• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing BDL to DBM, does that cause bedding complications?

stanley52

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2013
Idaho
Ok so I have a rifle with a manner t4a, bedded and everything. Right now it has BDL bottom metal, if I wanted to switch to a DBM system, will that screw the bedding up? Will I have to have new pillars put in, ground down, will the bedding itself be out of spec? I understand some inletting will have to be done, but as far as anything else I have no clue. Thanks ahead of time for the info!

Pay attention to the action screws, the DBM may be thinner and allow the front screw to get on the way of the bolt lug, or even worse do what I did, torque the DBM with the bolt installed on the rifle and damage the recoil lug or miss align the bolt/barrel relation. I just did this on a custom rem 700 and went from shooting .3" groups at 100 yds avg. to 3/4" with the same ammunition.
Very frustrating!!! Good luck!

Pay attention to the action screws, the DBM may be thinner and allow the front screw to get on the way of the bolt lug, or even worse do what I did, torque the DBM with the bolt installed on the rifle and damage the recoil lug or miss align the bolt/barrel relation. I just did this on a custom rem 700 and went from shooting .3" groups at 100 yds avg. to 3/4" with the same ammunition.
Very frustrating!!! Good luck!

So the action screw... permanently bent the bolt, causing a misalignment?

I'm not following either. The recoil lug is no where near the action screw. Possible mean bolt lug? Even at that there should be nowhere near enough force to do anything.

65 in/lbs on a 1/4-28 action bolt bent a bolt and lug? Thinking the threads on the fastener or action would pull out first.