• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BDL to DM

1969GTOnut

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2010
Missouri
OK here's the skinny. I currently have an ADL setup, but after GA Precision get's done truing the action and screwing on a new barrel I'll be mounting it in a stock made for a BDL floorplate setup. Will a Remington Detachable Magazine setup slide right in or will I need to do some inletting?

Re: BDL to DM

Not sure, but the stock Remington DBM's are horribly unreliable. (At least the ones I've used are.) If you're planning on using the gun for comps or even hunting I would suggest you look at some of the aftermarket DBM's.

Badger, Seekins, Surgeon, CDI, just to name a few.

They don't seat in the stock properly and they have a tendancy to jam. I personally will never use one again on any of my rifles.

I'm not sure if extra mags are easy to find or not but then I've never looked for them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1969GTOnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What seems to be the problem with them? </div></div>
Other than that system won't work correctly, most of the time, nothing. Also the stock has to be cut out for the release bars on both side of the stock.

If you have a HS/P stock their DM system is a drop in, and mine has been 100% GTG but, I did spend the time to in sure it was installed correctly.

Beware of pie in the sky systems, my partner had one of the latest installed in his A-5 by the seller. Would not feed, trigger bar locking up, gaps around the bottom metal, mags stick, ect. He had to take it to another Smith to get it half ass working. It's still not as reliable as my HS/P system and to say he's not happy is an understatement.

Thanks guys. I think I'll avoid the Remington version all together. It was priced right, but now I know why.

Good choice, and if you wanted somthig close to remingtons setup but more reliable you could always look at the setup made by hs precision it is made from stainless, however if you wanted somthing more heavy duty try badger,seekins,of surgeon. Also Tactical rifles makes a nice Drop mag also.

Has anyone actually fitted any Hooper DBM? I was wondering how much Smithing is involved.

That's my bad. The long action BDL to DM is drop in (no work), the short action requires some mill work. Here is a recent thread.

LINKY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trapshooter12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone actually fitted any Hooper DBM? I was wondering how much Smithing is involved.
</div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Short action inletting:</span></span>
On the Short action it is best to have a Mill but has been done by a few customers with dremel hand tools.

On the Mill:
Indicate the action screw holes in the stock parallel to the X axis. (Best to have a swivel base on your vise or custom stock holding fixture)

Off the rear hole center, you bring the table to the coordinates listed on the instruction sheet with a 5/8" endmill, cut the rear pillar down to spec and the rear corners of the magazine well. Connect the two corners on the y axis.

Move to the listed coordinates for the front corners of the mag well with a 3/8" endmill and cut them.

With each of these cuts, run the endmill on the y axis connecting each corner.

Connect the outer edges of the radius cut from each side of the mag well on the x axis. This requires the right angle which is approx. 1.75 degrees from the action screw centers.

I suggest 2" long endmills for milling head clearance and depth of cut. The DBM has a slight taper from bottom to top but basically has the same shape from bottom of magwell to top.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Boom, your done.</span>

The front pillar should be ok, but if it needs to be cut down the 5/8" cuts it.

The front and rear ears of the DBM match the factory BDL inlet. The overall DBM width from a BDL is about .070" wider.

I tried to design this to make installation as painless as possible.

I like the Hooper setup, except for the long magazine. I'm a fan of the low profile mags. But that is a nice set up. Gonna have to think on this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1969GTOnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the Hooper setup, except for the long magazine. I'm a fan of the low profile mags. But that is a nice set up. Gonna have to think on this one. </div></div>

The mags used on ours are the same as most other DBM offered by other Companies. We use the AI mags. If you saw a long mag, most likely it was the Magnum version. They are single stack and hold 5 Magnum rounds. So no way around it.

393195439.jpg

SHORT ACTION

394342068.jpg

LONG ACTION

Thanks

does anyone know when remington offered the detachable mag on the police guns? I though it was a factory option for a few years?