• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BDL vs DBM weight savings

samson7x

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2014
I'm researching items for a lighter weight hunting build and was wondering if the hive has any insight into actual weight savings between the two. I've seen BDL recommended several times here for light builds and I get that, but how much are you actually saving? If we're only talking an ounce or two, I'd rather have a DBM.

Looking at the APA DBM and it only weighs 3oz. Add a polymer AICS magpul mag and that's not a whole lot.

How much does a standard BDL with wyatts box weigh?

Updated with info from responses:

Factory BDL bottom metal with internal box/follower: ~4.5oz
PTG Al bottom metal with internal box/follower: 4.13oz
APA DBM: 3oz
AICS metal mag: 4.8oz (only thing I could find with a quick search)
AICS pmag 5rd: 3.2oz
Curtis custom SA 3rd: 3.5oz

Last edited:
Just for schnitz and giggles, take a peek at the new Seekins ultralight rifle. Carbon fiber stock and magazine with super light action. Might be worth using as is or even buying just to rebarrel to what you want.

./

Just for schnitz and giggles, take a peek at the new Seekins ultralight rifle. Carbon fiber stock and magazine with super light action. Might be worth using as is or even buying just to rebarrel to what you want.

./

I've already got the action and barrel being chambered now, otherwise I would've definitely considered that option.

Reactions: Terry Cross
Another thought is that you could go blind box / ADL style.

Perfectly smooth underbelly.
Ultimate weight savings over BDL or DBM.
Works just fine for hunting.
Reliable.
Lower cost than either of the above with no degraded performance for what you are using for.

./

Another thought is that you could go blind box / ADL style.

Perfectly smooth underbelly.
Ultimate weight savings over BDL or DBM.
Works just fine for hunting.
Reliable.
Lower cost than either of the above with no degraded performance for what you are using for.

./

At this point, we're going to limit it to DBM vs. BDL. I'm looking at 2 different stock styles and these options are in stock at the moment.

Reactions: Terry Cross
DBM will add weight, not shave it. PT&G makes aluminum factory replacement bottom metal that will shave a bit of weight. It'll drop into the factory inlet, is well finished, and reasonably price. It's what I use on most of my hunting rifles.
I don't like DBM for hunting rifles, they stick down too far and I'm pretty much guaranteed to lose a magazine at the worst time. I like them for prairie dog rifles and range toys, but all my real hunting rifles have floorplate bottom metal.

Yes, I indicated that if it was only an ounce or two more, I'd rather have a DBM. Do you happen to know the weight of your PT&G bottom metal?

so you need a bdl weight , long or short action factory stuff?

1.BDL SHORT ACTION 82 grams
2.BDL SHORT BOX 46.3 grams
3.BDL LONG ACTION 95.4 grams
4.BDL BOX LONG5 57.8 grams
5.ADL LONG 68.6 GRAMS TRIGGER GUARD, 69.0 GRAMS BOX
Old style and newer style wary in weight sample of one each good luck.

Thank you!

Looking at the short action only, I assume #1 is the floorplate/trigger guard and #2 is the internal box/spring follower correct?

Last edited:
Grams. Lol