• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing be careful out there!!

lanwickum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2004
Middle of nowere, MT
2 opeing day deaths

Two Montana teens died in separate shooting accidents on the opening day of big game hunting.

Phillips County Sheriff's deputies responded to an accidental shooting 18 miles northwest of Malta on Saturday at 3:45 p.m.
According to a release, a 16-year-old Malta boy was hunting with two friends. They separated for a short time and when his companions went to look for him, they found him in a field, shot once.
Logan Wilson died at the scene.
Undersheriff Scott Moran said the investigation is ongoing, pending an autopsy conducted by the state medical examiner in Missoula.
Hours later in neighboring Blaine County, deputies responded to another hunting accident in which a 17-year-old Power boy was fatally shot in the face.
Undersheriff Pat Pyette said Monday that the boy was hunting with family and friends on Bureau of Land Management property in the Missouri River Breaks, about 70 miles south of Chinook.
The group was wrapping up hunting for the day at about 6 p.m. when the boy's 14-year-old sister was removing the bullets from her hunting rifle before loading it into their vehicle.
The gun discharged, killing her brother who was standing less than 5 feet away, Pyette said. Blaine County Coroner Marvin Edwards identified him as Augustus Chamakoon-Leigland.
Pyette said Mercy Flight helicopter initially was called, but was waived off when Blaine County ambulance responders found the boy dead at the scene.
Pyette said the incidents are a sad reminder of the many lessons taught in hunter safety education.
"Safety is paramount in every situation," he said. "You have to be sure you know where your muzzle is pointing at all times."
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Bureau Chief of Communication and Education Ron Aashiem said since the law changed to require teenagers to take hunters safety classes, the state averages four hunting-related fatalities a year.
Before that in the 1950s and '60s, it was 20 each year.
Aashiem didn't have statistics on the ages of the 210 people who have died while hunting in the last 50 years, but said younger people tend to be more mindful of safety precautions.

Since 1960, 44 hunters died because of their own negligence and another 37 died because of their companions' negligence. Another 34 were reported missing and are presumed dead, and the same number died in vehicle crashes while hunting. Sixty-one hunters died from health problems such as heart attacks.
Between 6,500 and 7,000 people take hunters education classes every year.
Aashiem said the most important lessons to remember while handling firearms is to treat every gun like it's loaded, always point the weapon in a safe direction and never aim at something that you don't intend to shoot.
A sophomore at Malta High School, Wilson was an avid basketball player, spending his spare time practicing or conditioning himself for the season ahead. His lifelong dream was to play for the Montana Grizzlies and the NBA.
His family describes Wilson as a lovable prankster, who idolized his two brothers and had a wonderful sense of humor.
Wilson's full obituary appears on page 2M. His funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Friday in the Malta High School gymnasium.
An obituary for Chamakoon-Leigland is expected in the coming days. His funeral arrangements are being handled by Croxford's Funeral Home.

Re: be careful out there!!

Sad tragic stuff...

Simple basic vigilant gun safety is golden, a cold chamber seals the deal.

Saw both those tragic stories in the newspaper today. That sucks.

A third Montana hunter died when he drowned in shallow water near his camp, vicinity Hamilton.

This is truly upsetting, a loss of a young life, a brother and the total weight of grief the sister will carry, unimaginable.

Damn it, that's sad to hear. Montana has an excellent hunters safety course, my son and daughter went through it when they were 11-12ish, I was impressed with the in-field instruction as well as the classroom course by MTFWP.

It seems to me, more often than not, it is not the weapons that are causing serious injury during the hunt. It is most commonly falls, vehicle related, preexisting medical conditions, and environmental incidents for which we are most often summoned. I see infinitely more GSW injuries from domestic misadventures than from hunting adventures by far.

Hunter's safety courses have done their job well in my opinion. However, we all know it just takes one slip of safe handling to equal a tragic disaster though. Sad story. I can't even begin to wrap my mind around the mental anguish of the families involved.

On another note, if you summon the helicopter to rescue an injured party, don't offer to "shoot down a tree" to create a larger LZ because of a lack of another more suitable cutting tool.

Man this is too bad...especially the sister shooting the brother...can't imagine...where were the adults that should have been watching? In the head at 5ft....

We want kids to grow up and join us in the field but man you have to be careful and remember they are just youngsters, it can happen so fast and you can't take it back. Safety training is good but cannot be substituted for personal watchfullness by an adult.

I have lived this and it is very personal...a friend of mine shot himself with a 12ga while hunting when we were 16. He lived because I was there and the injury was not immediately fatal. We were lucky but we both carry scars to this day.

My thoughts to the families.

That's horrible. I had a friend who was shot and killed about 25yrs years ago. His best friend was told to clean a 12ga SxS, which he knew nothing about because he had never been allowed to touch a gun and was never taught gun safety. He didn't know to make sure it was empty and didn't know not to point it at anything he wasn't willing to destroy. The other kid walked into the room, he pointed the gun at his friend and pulled both triggers. I don't have to describe the results. They were both about 9 or 10. Be careful and TEACH SOMEONE SOME GUN SAFETY! It may save your life!!!!!