• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Be extra careful with an FS-2000

wilb

Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2006
White Sulphur Springs, WV
I like the FS-2000, and it rides around with me in a tennis racket bag.

I was putting it back in the safe, exchanging it for something with a better range, and went to clear it.

Since it's so hard to see in the chamber. I just vigorously racked it three times and seeing no brass flying about, pulled the trigger.

Fortunately, some rules are subconsciously exercised, and I simply perforated on old couch. Bullet did not make it thru the brick exterior wall.

Magazines are not as noticeable protruding from the FS as say an AR. Mistake No 1
The FS saves up its first three ejected rounds, and then dribbles them out the side of the rifle nearer the muzzle. Mistake 2
It is hard to see in the action and cycle the rifle at the same time. Mistake 3

Some firearms are just more accident prone than average, and demand more attention.
Open bolt guns are surely another to watch carefully.

I am confused and curious about what exactly happened here. Did you try to clear the rifle with a magazine in it that somehow loaded a live round? Was there a round stuck in the chamber?

Reactions: Maggot
If im carrying a long gun "concealed", its condition 3.

im assuming (maybe falsely) that if i have time to deploy a long gun from a bag, i have time to chamber a round.

hell realistically, if im deploying a long gun, ive exhausted my sidearm and should have my ass behind cover preparing for the next wave of the Hun invasion.

Weak extraction on rimfire semi-autos have taught me that there is no number of slide/bolt racks sufficient to replace visual and/or tactile inspection of the chamber. Look or feel: 1) down the magwell; 2) into the chamber; and 3) at the boltface before concluding that the firearm is unloaded.

Another one that will do that to you is blowback pistols, such as the Beretta tomcat and other similar designs.
Don't matter how many times you rack the slide, the bullet is staying put unless you pop the barrel up and take the bullet out manually.

I'm sure more than one mattress has met it's fate in similar circumstances.

Carried it in Condition 3, Failed to remove loaded mag and racked 3 times looking ejected rounds.

No flying brass so pulled the trigger for storage.

Even worse had I put it away in my crowded safe in that condition. Next time I was pulling something out could have been tragic.

I posted this here because I need to catch some shit, so carry on.

Thanks !

Reactions: Jgunner
If I ever pull a trigger to confirm clear, I point the gun at the ground. Rule number 1, never point the gun at anything you don't intend to shoot. That poor couch.

Even monkeys fall out of trees.

Become a zealot about rule #1 and there is a good chance it may save your ass or somebody else's ass.

Carried it in Condition 3, Failed to remove loaded mag and racked 3 times looking ejected rounds.

No flying brass so pulled the trigger for storage.

Even worse had I put it away in my crowded safe in that condition. Next time I was pulling something out could have been tragic.

I posted this here because I need to catch some shit, so carry on.

Thanks !

I'm not shitting on you - kudos for following Rule 1 and then having the balls to admit to your mistake. Your confession might save someone's life if it causes others to modify their behavior.

Yeah, even with the proper process, there are hard-to-verify guns that certainly help you make mistakes. Mishaps are always a chain of problems, and never just a single piece of "pilot error."

My ND was a .22 I was packing for a friend decades ago when he was moving his last stuff out of an apartment. Lever gun of some sort. I was given this task as the Very Safe Gun Guy. I racked three times, left it open, looked, saw a shell lifter and nothing in the chamber. Closed it, pointed at a corner of the room, lowered the hammer. Did not drop it, but lowered very slowly.

Bang. First, was shocked that even if loaded it could fire from that slow a hammer. Also then amazed it was loaded. Apparently:
  1. Very dirty. Hadn't broken free the action for the first few cycles so didn't load/unload
  2. Shell lifter gets in the way of the action, blocks visibility of the magazine tube, but that is not obvious; the shape of part of it makes it look like the follower for the mag tube is visible when it is not.
Very recently (I have no other stories, I don't have problems much) I was out in the woods at night, and as we crossed the fenceline to get back to the landowner living area, go to sleep for the night, I unloaded the carbine. Removed mag, ran bolt, closed it a bit later. Did not pull trigger but the next day, after packing and hours driving, I go to put the guns away in the cage and do the normal procedure, check the carbine before racking. Cartridge in the chamber. I couldn't see at night, couldn't feel it apparently, but procedure (re-checking, never assuming empty) helps.

Sharing helps everyone understand that it can happen to everyone, any time, so all four rules are good. You have to violate several of them before people get hurt. OP's story is more common than I bet anyone will admit.