• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bead Blaster?

howdydoodie

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2009
Sandbox
I am thinking of buying a cabinet bead/abrasive blaster and would like to get some recommendations on what I should get. I would like it big enough to be able to put a barreled action in it. Also, what would you recommend for the media to use? Anyone have a setup that they really like?

Thanks in advance

Re: Bead Blaster?

One word of caution on bead blaster cabinets. Do your research and make sure the one you buy has a very good exhaust system. I have used some cabinets that turned into a thick cloud of dust within 30 seconds of starting and if you can't see it you can blast it.

When I had my bike shop open I ended up buying a Skat Cabinet out of Canton OH. They are good systems. Mine got used every day of the week without any problems. You will need a good air supply for a good cabinet.

Thanks again. I won't be using it every day but I want to buy a good one. I don't like buying things twice. What media do you use for actions and barrels?

aluminum oxide for your media.

60 is a good size, but don't get too hung up on the grit.

Thanks for the info. I am wanting to Duracoat a few of my rifles and this will be a good excuse to buy one. I have been wanting a blast cabinet for years.