• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bead Blasting Media?

Re: Bead Blasting Media?

I prefer aluminum oxide over glass beads...especially if a true matte finish is what you are after.

I run 80-90 grit for most applications.

If you plan on putting a coating on it like duracoat and stuff of that nature you will want to use aluminum oxide. the coating will stay on much better.but if your not it just depends on how matte of a finish you want.glass beads being a lighter finsh.

In a pinch I have used the paver sand which is 60grit kiln dried. I actually liked the finish better than I was getting with 120 alum but I might also try 80 alum. The nice thing about the sand is I can get it local for about $4 per 50 pounds. I have to have alum shipped and hate paying for the weight.

If you want a factory stainless Remington looking finish you need to use glass beads. Only use the Aluminum Oxide if your going to paint it.

test out a spot first before jumping into it..