• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Beadblasting a barrel

Jeremybj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Hey guys,

I got a new barrel in polished stainless and am thinking that a bead blasted what is more what I am after.

Is it difficult to get the bead blasting to look even?

What grit beads would you recommend?

Re: Beadblasting a barrel

Med beads 80 grit is pretty benign.
It will only slightly dull it.
If you want it really matted then a 125 grit Alum Ox will make for a rougher and flatter finish.
Getting it to have an even finish is not really an issue.
YMMV

You can see the finish and its easy to get good coverage.....no worries about the finish. If you want a remington factory stainless look....go glass, if you want a very dull look, go garnet or ao.

On my chrome Molly barrel when I Garnet blasted it started to rust when i let it sit dor a few weeks with no cerakote, that won't be an issue with stainless?

No. Chromoly has much more iron in it. SS doesn't. Stainless barrels will rust if conditions are right, but it has to be pretty miserable outside.

Glass bead the barrel. It peens the surface. Garnet/ao cuts it. The cuts trap oil, dirt, moisture and will make it appear dirty almost instantly.

Use a silicon cloth and wipe it down with beads. It'll stay looking nice longer.

Polish the barrel before glass beading. Beads won't hide scratches. Surface has to be smooth for it to come out nice.

Hope this helps

C.

This comes up quite often, IMO a aluminum oxide finish was meant to be coated ,Bead blast looks great as a stand alone finish!

this was done with 60-120 grit glass beads at 80 psi. it's not hard to get an even finish but it's good to take it out of the cabinet into the sun a time or two during the process to make sure you didn't miss any spots. when using alox, it's much easier to see exactly where you've covered wile still in the cabinet than it is with glass beads. it would take a lot of work to over do it with glass beads though.

284rebarrel47.jpg

284rebarrel45.jpg

molyresintanflat1.jpg