• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bear Creek Arsenal barrels

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    I've seen Bear Creek Arsenal barrels maligned here on the hide so I thought I would share this video of mine. I get no compensation from BCA, I'm just impressed with their accuracy. Here is a 16" run of the mill M4 barrel with A frame sight that I used to build a SOCOM SOPMOD M4A1 Block II copy. I easily get 1/2" moa and not just at 100yds. Here is a video of a test fire (gun is for sale on GB as SOCOM SOPMOD) at 350 meters...LESS than 1/2 moa.

pix235528013.jpg

Reactions: Makinchips208
    While you're laughing, I forgot to mention it has an Alexander Arms lower and a Brownell's bolt?

I'm laughing at you claiming that rifle is easily .5 moa while using a barrel from a company that has put out some of the worst quality and quality controlled products available. Oh and it just so happens to be for sale, search this to buy.

I'm laughing at you claiming that rifle is easily .5 moa while using a barrel from a company that has put out some of the worst quality and quality controlled products available. Oh and it just so happens to be for sale, search this to buy.
    did you even watch the video

Watch the video...350 meters, 5 consecutive shots on about 1" dots. If it's blurry it's because your bandwidth sucks...it's a 1080P video. No doubt this is an exceptional barrel and I have spent quite a bit of time building and shooting accurate rifles. The whole point is that it has not been my experience that BCA "put(s) out some of the worst quality" barrels. And yes, it is for sale...that's more of a public service announcement for those frustrated at not being able to find an accurate semi-auto.

Reactions: Makinchips208
    I saw a blurry video yes.
    so look at dot size relative to 6" circle. i'd say roughly 1" being generous, probably a bit smaller

compare with shots on the other targets

pretty much every impact is on the dots

Just thought I'd share a pretty cool video of a gun that shoots exceptionally well with a barrel that is usually criticized. I thought it was pretty good shooting, and impressed myself, shooting at 350 meters with a fairly strong and changing wind. Was there some luck involved...probably...I was surprised that I hit all five dots. In fact, the hit on the 6" plate missed the dot by about an inch.

6x5.

I simply do not believe claims of easy .5 moa AR's. You have guys like @Molon doing extensive accuracy tests with all kind of factory and his custom spec'd barrels. He gets .5 with his custom spec'd stuff with hand loads.

Grabbing a budget barrel and getting .5 is unbelievable to me.

6x5.

I simply do not believe claims of easy .5 moa AR's. You have guys like @Molon doing extensive accuracy tests with all kind of factory and his custom spec'd barrels. He gets .5 with his custom spec'd stuff with hand loads.

Grabbing a budget barrel and getting .5 is unbelievable to me.
    So it’s absolutely impossible is what I hear you saying

Just thought I'd share a pretty cool video of a gun that shoots exceptionally well with a barrel that is usually criticized. I thought it was pretty good shooting, and impressed myself, shooting at 350 meters with a fairly strong and changing wind. Was there some luck involved...probably...I was surprised that I hit all five dots. In fact, the hit on the 6" plate missed the dot by about an inch.

Look if it really is that's awesome. I personslly wouldn't sell it if that was the case.

On all kinds of forums you see accuracy claims that are usually bullshit or not believable. The easy .5 and the fact your telling people how to buy it just made me believe this was another one of threads.

So it’s absolutely impossible is what I hear you saying

No, I said I personally find it unbelievable.

Unbelievable
    not able to be believed; unlikely to be true.

Aka it's hard for me to believe and I think it's likely untrue.

No, I said I personally find it unbelievable.

Unbelievable
    not able to be believed; unlikely to be true.

Aka it's hard for me to believe and I think it's likely untrue.
    So calling bullshit on a man you don’t know, after watching it on video leads to likely untrue. Let me guess, it has to be a cack or some other uber expensive rifle/barrel to shoot good

So calling bullshit on a man you don’t know, after watching it on video leads to likely untrue. Let me guess, it has to be a cack or some other uber expensive rifle/barrel to shoot good

Yes lol. 6x5.

Cack? Kac?

No those are not notoriously known as extremely accurate rifles. If thats who you meant there is actually a poster here that has on numerous occasions put his money up against users kac accuracy claims.

Generally speaking to "easily" get .5 moa it would take a quality stainless match barrel from a reputable company. Not a $70 government profile 4150 with a 5.56 chamber.

Clayman, I have been on the hide over 8 years. I am a retired SF officer. I have spent my life as basically a paid shooter. I have been building guns for many years. I am a National and World Champion in multiple shooting sports. I am a former National Record holder. I have built and sold guns to many hide members. I guarantee my guns unequivocally...if you don't like it, return it for your money back. I have never had a rifle returned. I guess you can argue the video is fake. I must admit, I posted it out of sheer vanity...I impressed myself. As for keeping it for myself and not selling it, like I said, I've been doing this for many years and have built myself several guns that are its' equal. Here's a pic of me shooting for US Forces Europe at the Internationale Matchwoche in Switzerland...oh, and my National Record.

zurrich13.jpg
    DSCN5672.JPG

Last edited:
    Yes lol. 6x5.

Cack? Kac?

No those are not notoriously known as extremely accurate rifles. If thats who you meant there is actually a poster here that has on numerous occasions put his money up against users kac accuracy claims.

Generally speaking to "easily" get .5 moa it would take a quality stainless match barrel from a reputable company. Not a $70 government profile 4150 with a 5.56 chamber.
    Yeah knights is what I was talking about. Cack is all you need to hear and associate that name, even you figured it out. Not stupid accurate, but good enough for USASOC and many other agencies to pick up as a SASS. As far as using a wylde or “223” chamber, there are plenty of quality builders that use that chambering for their guns in that caliber.

Maj,
    being a member of the hide for 8 years you should have expected naysayers.
    BCA got some bad press a few years ago, mostly from resellers that bought in bulk and held them until they rusted.
    Barrel makers seem to run in cycles, maybe due to turnover of machinists.
    Congrats on your accomplishments.
    I currently hold an NRA Expert, F-Open Midrange rating :)

Any chance of getting the buyer to post a follow up?

Maj,
    being a member of the hide for 8 years you should have expected naysayers.
    BCA got some bad press a few years ago, mostly from resellers that bought in bulk and held them until they rusted.
    Barrel makers seem to run in cycles, maybe due to turnover of machinists.
    Congrats on your accomplishments.
    I currently hold an NRA Expert, F-Open Midrange rating :)
    Yeah, and I'll be the first to admit, it was a litlle (a lot?) self serving. But, hell, like I said, I impressed myself. If somebody just posted that claim with just pics of their groups I would have doubts, that's why I posted the video. I actually have a bunch of these videos on you tube, but they are untitled as they are really only intended for potential buyers to see the accuracy of the rifle they are buying.

Reactions: bfoosh006
    As far as using a wylde or “223” chamber, there are plenty of quality builders that use that chambering for their guns in that caliber.

That barrel has a 5.56 nato chamber. Not .223 wylde.

You guys can think 5 shots on a steel plate equals a less than .5 moa rifle or an easily .5 rifle all you want, it doesn't to me. I'm not questioning anyone's shooting ability, I'm sure he's a lot better than me. I do not believe that rifle would 6x5 or molon's 3x10 .5 moa. That's all, to add this I don't believe the vast majority of factory rifles could either. This thread also seemed like a subtle trying to sell something using the forum audience without being a sh supporter. Others have had threads removed for similar iirc. If not then my apologies.

Regardless I'll fuck off and stop shitting up the thread. Have a good one.

Congrats on the sale ts.

That barrel has a 5.56 nato chamber. Not .223 wylde.
    That was never stated by the OP, that manufacturer makes and sells wylde chambered barrels as well. Where did you learn it was 5.56 nato chambered

6DBAB32D-8E22-411A-872D-461C0E6FBDCF.jpeg
    Bear creek 5.56 1-7 20”.
    First two in the bullseye were cold bore, 8 more after that seems to be from the first two seating the upper in the cheap Andersen lower. I actually called that flier. 73 grain eld rl15. 100 yards, I think I paid 350$ or so for the complete upper. Lol

Last edited:
    I like the BCA side charge uppers. Nice and thick.
    Now they want $222 for the upper/BCG.
    So, I bought a 7.62X39 complete upper, Gen2 side charge, on sale, Free Shipping for $229.
    Haven't shot the X39 yet, just bought for the upper/BCG
    They even have a cheaper one.

BC-15, 5.56 NATO, 16" 416R Stainless M4 Barrel, 1:8 Twist, Carbine Length Gas System, 12" MLOK Rail|New MLOK Side Charging Upper (Gen 2) $215, Free Fed Ex Shipping.​

The upper/BCG is still $222.

Last edited:
    I got a pistol barrel and a rifle barrel during a sale for shits and giggles.

Pistol shoots as good as factory, rifle barrel shoots multiple MOA. Think I paid $35 each so who cares about the rifle barrel toss it in the trash.

I'd slow down on that bias as I posted pics in the 308 forum of a beater 308 with a $70 bca heavy ss barrel that printed .65 consistently with fgmm 168s. freak of nature maybe but that sucker was a shooter, better than my lmts

I just wasted like 10 minutes reading all this. BCA had illegals working for them. I'm sure a 10 year old Mexican paid extreme attention when chambering and crowning that barrel.

• Haha
    Reactions: rpoL98 and Jsp556
    I’ve heard of some ppl having decent luck with BCA, but I’d never buy one unless it was intended to be used for mag dumps. The one I bought in the past had the worst rifling I’ve ever seen. Gouged up with lands/grooves that looked like railroad tracks. It would foul up in under 50rds. Every so often it would put a few close together, then it would throw wild fliers 2+ moa away

For me, ammo is too expensive to waste on crap barrels these days.

No one is going to mention the hand on that target covering the flyers ?
    No fliers I use ten round mags so my bipod is functional. But that would be my reply as well. Lol
    I may still have to target in my gun room. It was creased so I was holding it down.

Makes me wanna drive down to their shop and buy a barrel just to see if it will shoot or not

I just wasted like 10 minutes reading all this. BCA had illegals working for them. I'm sure a 10 year old Mexican paid extreme attention when chambering and crowning that barrel.
    probably better than citizen workers as they need their job and know they'll be let go and replaced easily enough. Remember when we had great manufacturing, the driving force behind that was employee need for job and easily replaced by other workers who would do the job right

getting lemons happens with every company but I get the overall view

Wow. Can't believe some of the comments. I never said BCA barrels were the greatest thing on earth. I said look at this "exceptional" (look up exceptional) barrel I have. If you know how to build accurate guns and handload accurate ammunition, you can squeeze some pretty good accuracy out of inexpensive barrels. Here is an XM177 with a Brownell's barrel that I cut, threaded and recrowned to 12". I pinned and welded a flash hider for the atf to make it 16.25 inches overall length.

Really? No one is going to mention that the ELCAN is on backwards?
    Lol... I didn't notice until you said something.
    I was to busy trying to take in the "whole" a BCA barrel shooting that well.... I would be "proud" of that performance as well.

I / We all rarely see a BCA barrel shoot that well.... Lol, with any ammo... not saying it can't happen ( obviously , as we have just seen ) but ...

Any tricks while assembling it ?... lapped upper face ? , shimmed barrel install ?

I gotta say... I am not sure I would have sold it. I strongly prefer accuracy minded AR's.

And as someone mentioned, sometimes you get a jewel of a barrel, even from a dubious manufacturer.

I am happy for you.... ( or should I say the next owner ? )

What made you try a BCA barrel ? I mean, you clearly understand the odds against it ... and I fully understand if it was a "Lets just see" thing.

Thanks for sharing !

Lol... I didn't notice until you said something.
    I was to busy trying to take in the "whole" a BCA barrel shooting that well.... I would be "proud" of that performance as well.

I / We all rarely see a BCA barrel shoot that well.... Lol, with any ammo... not saying it can't happen ( obviously , as we have just seen ) but ...

Any tricks while assembling it ?... lapped upper face ? , shimmed barrel install ?

I gotta say... I am not sure I would have sold it. I strongly prefer accuracy minded AR's.

And as someone mentioned, sometimes you get a jewel of a barrel, even from a dubious manufacturer.

I am happy for you.... ( or should I say the next owner ? )

What made you try a BCA barrel ? I mean, you clearly understand the odds against it ... and I fully understand if it was a "Lets just see" thing.

Thanks for sharing !
    I've had good luck with other BCA barrels. I've never had one that shot poorly...always around 1moa. Several years ago they even offered a 1 moa guarantee...which was what got me to try one. They no longer offer that guarantee. The rifle I bought this for was going to be a "recon" type AR so all I really needed was 1.3 moa and price was a factor. Yes, I do some things that are special. I pre-torgue and then final torque. I bed the barrel and tighten using anti-gall paste. I match the bolt to the barrel by trying several different bolts during accuracy testing. I use several different types of both factory and hand-loaded match ammo. I often cut and re-crown the barrel. The barrel is always free floated, unless it is a copy of a model that wasn't originally free floated, like the XM-177. I would rather be pleasantly surprised than drop big dollars on a "match" barrel that literally won't hit the side of a barn, or in this case a shed, at 600 yards. Just did that and had to just put the upper aside until I figure out if it's the barrel, receiver, or bolt. I've even had the buffer system degrade accuracy. I've never had a Krieger, Lilja, or Bartlein let me down.

Last edited:
    BCA barrel….less than 100rds on it. Others have had similar experiences.

Not exactly high quality. No bedding or wizardry that I’m aware of fixes this, aside from just getting a new barrel, and one not stamped with BCA on it.
    9BA503FC-2E83-4B0D-9FA7-D4B3F32E9FB2.jpeg

• Wow
    Reactions: 346ci
    @buffalowinter is a known good guy who post a lot of informative things here. His word is good.
    Yes, His word is good on the one specific barrel he used. A simple search on here or any other forum will show they consistently have issues. That being said, for a barrel you can purchase for $80 or cheaper. If it hits a 12x12 target at 100 yards off a bench I'd say you got your monies worth.

Wow. Can't believe some of the comments. I never said BCA barrels were the greatest thing on earth. I said look at this "exceptional" (look up exceptional) barrel I have. If you know how to build accurate guns and handload accurate ammunition, you can squeeze some pretty good accuracy out of inexpensive barrels. Here is an XM177 with a Brownell's barrel that I cut, threaded and recrowned to 12". I pinned and welded a flash hider for the atf to make it 16.25 inches overall length.

Most of the blowhards lack the skill set to get precision in the first place. They have to spend money on top tier gear and yet they still suck. All that money they spend and their outcome is one moa at best.

Most of the blowhards lack the skill set to get precision in the first place. They have to spend money on top tier gear and yet they still suck. All that money they spend and their outcome is one moa at best.
    Absolutely agree.
    I've seen jaw dropping incredible shots done with a Charter Arms AR7. (beer can at 450 yards, open sights)
    I've seen total shit shots with a AI Arctic Warfare. (missing a 12 inch plate at 50 yards with a S&B scope)
    How you roll is directly affected by the driver of the vehicle.
    *Most* people think they can shoot, maybe 2% actually can......maybe.

Reactions: Gohring65
    I’ve got one friend with a BCA 6.5 Grendel barrel that runs under an inch for 3 with Hornady black (yeah, 3 shot groups, I know, but how dead can you kill a ‘yote?)
    I’ve cut a few groups with it and it’ll do it consistently.

Another friend has a 16” light Faxon 6Arc barrel that shoots everything he’s
    crammed down it under an inch for 5. He’s shot that rifle out to 600 and it’s a hammer.

My BHW (1:8) loves 53 V-Maxes, but I can’t make it do a damn thing with 75’s.

I know. Samples of one. Each.

That said, I’ve got a Krag with a sewer pipe screwed into the action that’s a bit nuts with 165 Speers and 3031, but that’s a different story……

Youre exchange with this gentleman is rude. While I agree that his barrel is performing miraculously better than expected, you’ve basically called him a liar. There are so many better ways to express polite distrust or caution that were bypassed at multiple points in this conversation.

Youre exchange with this gentleman is rude. While I agree that his barrel is performing miraculously better than expected, you’ve basically called him a liar. There are so many better ways to express polite distrust or caution that were bypassed at multiple points in this conversation.

You bumped a thread that’s been dead for almost a year to be a fucking Nancy about something you have nothing to do with?

You new members are fucking weird. This isn’t the place for snowflakes.