• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Bear gets a fawn

bkincaid

There's only 1 degree of dead!
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2009
Cripple Creek, Colorado
This morning, myself and another guy were out looking at roads when we seen a bear and decided to go around the block to get a better view and some pics. As we drove around the block, we seen a dead fawn lying on the side of the road, cause of death unknown.

We get around to where we have a pretty good view of the bear walking our direction and start watching him and taking some pics with phones. We thought this guy was just eating grass. He walked through the grass like he was grazing, went down into an old foundation area (1st pic) and then went back up to where we had initially seen him. He started coming back again through the grassy area he had just come through a few minutes prior a second time.

He walked what looked like to be a few feet from an Aspen tree that had just walked by a few minutes ago. All of a sudden he turned and pounced and we heard the fawn bawl (2nd pic).

Two does came running, they had obviously heard the fawn too. The does came in to about 30 yards, would run away for a few seconds, and come right back. Heard two more brawls from the fawn and that was it.

I think the bear was not actually grazing as we had initially thought, but rather he was hunting a scentless fawn. Guessing there must have been some afterbirth in the area that originally got this guy's attention.

I have read over the years about bears being hard on fawn and calf populations, but have never experienced anything like what I witnessed today. Mother nature showed all her attributes today, both good and bad.

This happened in a city where the DOW had presented a few options to the city council to help alleviate the overabundance of deer in town. And not surprisingly, council failed to act to allow any form of deer control within city limits.

Willing to bet that if more folks start experiencing these kinds of encounters, council will probably be asked to get DOW to get rid of bears in town.
20210616_082849.jpg
20210616_083344.jpg

Mother nature is amazing!!

Reactions: lash
I was driving a forest road at work last June and encountered a cow elk with a fresh calf.
The cow bolted and the calf slid down a bank and got wedged upside down in a log.
We stopped the truck and after determining the calf was not getting unstuck we climbed down and pulled her out, she took off in the direction of momma.
As we got back to the road we intercepted a mature black bear that was coming in hot.

Bears probably kill more elk than wolves in most areas, I work in the woods and have encounteted a surprising number of bears feeding on elk..
I'll shoot every single legal bear that presents an opportunity

That's awesome you got to experience that. Mother nature is a cold bitch sometimes.
Being a bear is like being an epicurean in Hell. You are fuckinggigantic and require tens of thousands of calories per day, but you live in an environment where there's hardly anything to eat, so you are so hungry you are starving ALL THE TIME.

It's a mercy to shoot a bear.