• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beating a dead horse: another rimfire in an L96 airsoft stock

Idiotfool

Private
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2020
Florida
Howdy, all.

I'm going to show the final outcome, first, then provide the overall details of this build.

20221226_095030.jpg20221226_100312.jpg20221226_100328.jpg

Years ago, I saw some kook (Defcon) dropping various rimfire rifles into Airsoft stocks. Rimfirecentral had no interest and he caught flack but, really, he wasn't doing anything different than what Mossberg does with their 715t AR.

maxresdefault.jpg

That thing is absolute garbage in design, but it's still selling to the general public. Why utilizing a similar process for something that is, arguably, more stable than a semi-auto is beyond me. I've always been intrigued by the idea and love the look of the old AICS L96 rifles. Though I've seen several attempts at rimfire swaps into these, the actions never looked right to my eyes. People cut away the stock to access the mag release and magazine, in general, and I see too much of the real action to meet my goal. Savages have their magazines so far forward, there was this weird, double magazine situation going on. It just wasn't what I was after, but I kept revisiting this idea and started really diving in around 2019. I considered the Tikka T1X, but I wanted this to be 17 HMR and I saw mixed reviews on their 17 HMR accuracy. When I saw the CZ 457, though, the search was over.

I chose this rifle because of several reasons, the first being the proximity of the magazine to the trigger. The second, major reason, was the safety being on the receiver, rather than the mag well, allowing me to bed the stock without worrying about the safety. Finally, the removable trigger guard and mag well give the greatest versatility in this type of build. I intended to utilize the airsoft magazine as a shroud, again, similar to Mossberg's setup with the 715t AR, but I would use the stock's magazine release so that I wouldn't have to access one on the actual firearm. I went with the AT-One Varmint model because, if I screwed up, I'd still have a good 17 HMR in a stock that I like the aesthetics of. But, I'd try my hand at something that I think is cooler, first...

I bought the side folder L96 springer Airsoft rifle from evike. Their gas versions (most commonly used for these builds) are few and far between and, though I would have preferred a fixed stock, I didn't trust that the basic model would have the aluminum chassis I was after. As it turns out, the side folder has the chassis to bed the airsoft receiver to, but forward of that is plastic, then a small aluminum bit for the sling mounts. But, I digress. First, I had to size everything up to make sure my vision would work. You can see that the trigger is a little further forward in this stock than in the actual CZ trigger guard, but I had to align the bolt relief.

IMG_3455 (2).jpg

After prying the stock apart (it's held together with tension pins), I took note of everything. The stock has a receiver attachment bolt in the trigger guard and a second bolt within the mag well. I had to relocate the rear bushing to align with the CZ receiver and I drilled a new hole for the second bolt to marry the action to the chassis. I barely had the tolerances for both and was super lucky everything aligned like it did. I mentioned the internals being an aluminum cast chassis, plastic, and fore-end for the sling points and spigot attachment point. I filled in the section with square tubing from Grainger, JB Weld and some thin aluminum shims to ensure everything stayed attached. There should be no real load in this area, save for the bipod attached out front, and I did stress test this attachment method without issue, though I would have preferred a full cast or weld, but that wasn't in the cards. Adapt and overcome and, so far, so good...

IMG_3411 (2).jpgIMG_3518 (2).jpgIMG_4240 (2).JPG

I probably could've done a better job with the tab alignment cuts on this square tubing, but only you're seeing this and a little slop here just helps with assembly. The through bolts hold everything tight and keep the skins well attached. Once I had the rifle chassis fully adapted for my purposes, I had to figure out what to do with the cylinder. I don't presently have anything on my phone, but the magazine is comprised of a metal outer case and a plastic two part BB reservoir/guide system. Basically, I figured out where the magazine needed to be and cut out a relief within the magazine. Once I had everything aligned well, JB Weld came to the rescue, again, ensuring the magazine is securely held through bedding. It is still removable, though, because I maintained the split features within the magazine. You can see the CZ Magazine aligns perfectly.

20211211_220301.jpg20211211_220317 (2).jpg

I can't show it in photos, but I also shored up a lot of slop in various areas. I "milled" a new pin (drill + file + stainless bolt) and resurfaced the faces for the folding stock to take up slop. Similar for the spigot attachment, using JB weld (again!) to reduce the gaps and permanently attach the rail to the spigot. I bedded the action and filled in any voids with L-channel that I filed to follow the contours of the action, then painted everything black. No point sharing the photos, since you won't see the details, but they were steps I took. In between that, I did take it to the range a few times just to ensure everything functioned and didn't fall apart. I didn't have "proper" optics, at this point, so I used the airsoft scope that came with the rifle. I had a friend's son visiting from Europe and I took him to the range. Everything went pretty well and the rifle functioned as intended and he thought it was pretty cool. But, he's a teenager from the Netherlands who had never shot anything before...

20220813_121605 (2).jpg

The scope, to nobody's surprise, did not do great. 1 to 2 inch groups at 75 yards, if memory serves. Better optics tightened that significantly, but I'm going by memory.

Up until now, this has largely been a mission for aesthetics and functionality. I just wanted something cool and unique. I couldn't justify a real AICS stock (and I don't like the looks of the newer setup AICS offers) and a Bergara or Vudoo, though I'm sure they're amazing. I'm in South Florida, with nowhere to shoot nearby that has any real distances, so there's little point for me to spend big money on a novelty. This was also just something to keep my mind occupied and to offer myself a mild challenge. This was all hand tools (files, drills, sanders, etc.) and Nothing I've done should hurt accuracy, except being cheap on optics, but that wouldn't matter which stock this thing is in. If I get time to head out to the range this week, I'll actually take the time to gather meaningful data.

I've been sitting on this build awhile, but have been too busy with work and life to do anything. I took vacation, finally, and am closing out as many projects as I can while I ignore work. I don't have targets, but this is the most accurate rimfire I own, now. That isn't saying much, since this is my first 17 HMR and they're supposed to be superior to 22 LR, but it's still fun times.

Hope you all enjoy the story.

Well, I made it out this week. After getting the scope zeroed in at 50 yards, I got a pretty good 5 shot group of 0.218 inches using the generic A17 ammo from Walmart. This is the only ammo I had for the day. The next shot grouping opened up to just over half inch, but I'm not sure if it was wind (up to 12 mph), inconsistent ammo or if I needed to clean the barrel.

I was just goofing around and wasn't going for ultimate precision (as evidenced by the fact that I had no rest aside from the front bipod) and didn't do anything to clean the barrel. 50 yards was still pretty boring, so I extended distances to 75 yards, then 100 yards. At 75 yards, I would shoot one and then aim at the hole where I shot, which isn't ideal for group size, but I was too stupid to post up shoot and sees before shooting at this distance when I moved targets and the range I was at has a pretty long fire session between cease fires. Rather than continue to dork around at 75 due to some discussions on where to position the target for what lane between me and my neighbors, I just joined them at 100 yards and played around a bit more before swapping to my .223.

Pretty much everything I shot was using the airsoft bipod and snugging up to my shoulder. I did shoot off of some cheapo bag rests I had, but they're designed for hunting rifles, not benchrest/tactical stocks like this, and I couldn't get a good aim with them save one group at 100 yards and it was about the same as the others.

Here are the numbers:
8 - 12 mph winds
CCI Varmint Tip

DistanceAverageBest# Groups
50 Yards0.37 in.0.22 in.2
75 Yards0.870.872
100 Yards1.1881.1303

50 Yards:
20221230_134030.jpg

100 Yards:
20221230_151204.jpg

I still have too much play in the spigot mount for the bipod and, somehow I canted the scope when mounting it originally, so I'm addressing those issues already. The rear monopod annoys me. It's a good design for what it is, but the execution is lacking for several reasons I won't get into, so I'm going to play with that, too. Finally, though these should be close to 1:1 in size, I'm 6' tall and built like a chimp (all torso). The LOP (13.5 in) feels pretty short on this, for me. This is ironic, since it's a half inch longer than the Remington 700 in basic hunting stock, but that's how I feel. Still, I'm pretty happy with this thing, overall. I'll have to do some head-to-head against my .22s in a future outing to get some real feel on performance differences between .17 HMR and .22 LR. I think I get ~ 2 inch groups with .22 LR at 100 yards with similar setups, but real world testing under the same conditions with multiple ammos is really needed.

Reactions: Salinas and 68hoyt
I'm not much into the chassis thing, but I am so impressed with what you've done. I like your "out of the box" thinking.
I think your groups are pretty dammed good too.

Wow. I remember when this was a thing over on rimfirecentral years ago. Good job sticking with the project. And yes, good groups also.

Reactions: woogie_man
Wow. I remember when this was a thing over on rimfirecentral years ago. Good job sticking with the project. And yes, good groups also.
Thanks, all. I've seen these type of builds more than a few times, but they hardly ever received a favorable reception at Rimfirecentral.

Most builds and overviews I've come across in which the community seems to appreciate the work done had been here, but these still seem to be rather uncommon ventures. That said, half of the pics in these threads wind up being actions in real AICS stocks, which is cool to compare against, but does show how infrequent the conversions are.

Outside of DIY builds like this, or true AICS builds with actions from Rem 700 trainers and, now, Vudoo or Bergara builds, there was going to be a biathlon style action imported by ISSC called the SPA-Target, but that died and only the base model came to market in the US. That would have been a sweet little shooter, for sure...

https://bulletin.accurateshooter.co...7-straight-pull-rimfire-rifles-coming-in-may/

Tikka T1X in a Wombat Ordnance Tikka chassis (Aussie made) and rocking a Sterk bent bolt handle and bolt shroud (Also Aussie made). Standard mag fits within confines of AICS mag port.
Cool. How does that mag release function? I thought the release on the Tikka was forward of the magazine. Is the mag well integrated into the wombat frame to allow the use of a release at the trigger guard?

Refer to this pic. Mag release and housing stays on the barrelled action. It all fits within the confines of the AICS mag inlet. Reach up with your finger to drop mag out. Lots of clearance to get your finger up there. It sits not far from the bottom of the stock.
tikka-t1x-22lr-review-3-1200x800.jpg

Glad it works so cleanly.

Tikka was on my shortlist and I probably could have made the action work like I did with the CZ. The actual magazine is held in a shroud to have it the size of a short-action centerfire. The effect is similar to the RimX or Vudoo magazines in appearance, but closer to the Mossberg 715T magazines in construction. Having that larger mag allows the use of the chassis integrated magwell. Hiding the rimfire magwell within the chassis centerfire magazine bulge works, too, and yours looks pretty good. The worst were the Savage conversions with the magazine in the fore end.

This one isn't terrible, but it's also not ideal:

marchs%2520050.jpg

Yours looks like .22 LR. How does she do? Do you like the stock and did you go this route for performance, aesthetics, or both? Would you do it again, or go with a different, newer precision rifle chassis?

Reactions: Pomyluy
I actually think this is pretty cool and I like how you really worked to get this to function and fit. Took some thinking and I can appreciate that. Would love to have an AICS build for a RimX one day. Nice shooting too.

Reactions: Idiotfool
Which L96 springer did you end up using? I was thinking of doing the same thing with a Bergara B14r barreled action and the well mb4403 which looks like the one you grabbed but I wasnt sure if it had the aluminum bedding block like the gas version

Which L96 springer did you end up using? I was thinking of doing the same thing with a Bergara B14r barreled action and the well mb4403 which looks like the one you grabbed but I wasnt sure if it had the aluminum bedding block like the gas version
Sorry, I only just saw someone respond on this. Yes, I ordered the MB4403. These have a solid aluminum receiver up through the mag well but, forward of that, it's just plastic for the hop-up adjustment. I had to get 1 inch aluminum square tubing from Grainger and I glued it to the receiver using JB Weld to fill in this area. You can see the setup in the build photos.

I'm not sure if a Bergara magazine will fit in this receiver. I can say that I did try to see if my Remingtion 700 action would fit and the screws do not line up. I think the magwell was close, but my 700 has the floor plate rather than a magazine, so I can't say for sure. You may have to do even more work than I did to get your Bergara to work in these stocks.

That turned out pretty well.

That stock looks a it like the Rhineland Arms Leopard stock I have. The Leopard stock is a solid chunk of walnut that weighs 4.5 pounds by itself.

View attachment 8075419
Thank you. I do like the look of that stock of yours - is that for a savage? I think I saw them before, but none for the CZ when I started down this. I have the AT-ONE stock to fall back on, if needed. It's not the same without the thumbhole, but it's a pretty darn nice stock in its own right.

457VarmintATONE-1.png

Thank you. I do like the look of that stock of yours - is that for a savage? I think I saw them before, but none for the CZ when I started down this. I have the AT-ONE stock to fall back on, if needed. It's not the same without the thumbhole, but it's a pretty darn nice stock in its own right.

Thanks. And yes it is for a left handed Savage MkII. Rhineland Arms made that stock for Savage and CZ 22lr rifles at one time. They also made a folding stock AKA paratrooper version too. I guess they didn't sell enough and discontinued the Leopard stocks.

That’s some pretty impressive work, giving me some inspiration.