• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Beating Up Leupy?

Re: Beating Up Leupy?

Leupold is a great scope AT the price point they are. Every "comparison" to NF includes a price bump. NightForce is a better scope, in my opinion, but it is clearly at a different price point. I have a VariX III that I am going to replace with a Viper PST because I can't make the jump to NF. Sometimes the wallet has to make the final decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pre64WINmarksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I gotta say I'm confused about what it is regarding the Ultra that does make it better than the newer mk4 fixed scopes that came from the ultra design?</div></div>

A friend of mine has one, it's a decent scope. They seem to be made a little better than the newer 3.5-10 but that doesn't mean the 3.5-10 isn't usable. Another thing to consider is that fixed power scopes usually have a little bit better picture than a comparative variable power. If you're looking at buying one just keep in mind that they have somewhat coarse windage and elevation adjustments.

Ultras, where put together to never come apart. Even Leupold could not take the first ones apart. If they did break it was new scope time, but honestly never saw one break.

The M2 Ultra has covered adjustment coin type adjusters. Once adjusted for zero you did not touch the knobs. It did not catch on because it was only for one round under one condition. Me I just used the one round and made my adjustment by aiming to compensate for changes needed. The US Military tried M1,M2 and M3 back then and picked M3. M1 survived but M2 died.

The glass on early scopes seemed better to me. It may have been because at time Ultra's were so much better than anything else on market they just seemed perfect. I still use M3s for alot of things but mostly the 3.5-10 version for DMR and all around field guns

I like the new Leupold M5 scopes and when I think, "Self, maybe we should buy one of these" I remember that they don't have zero stops. While Leupold is making strides in scope features and quality (mil clicks, apparently better glass based on a couple comments on SH, TMR reticle) they aren't quite there. However, whether YOU should buy one depends on how YOU intend to use it, not me. As Leupold closes in on the other quality scope makers, I hope they don't price themselves out of contention - look at the apparent price of the CQBSS.

To answer your question: Think about a good, used Nightforce with the options you need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most night-time hunting is illegal is the US.

BMT </div></div>
I think your statement gives a misimpression. Even in California you can hunt some animals at night, in certain areas, with certain lights, a certain distance from the road, at some times of the year and so on. We're going pig hunting next week in TX and our ATVs are equipped with lights because it's often done at dusk or later. Here piggy piggy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most night-time hunting is illegal is the US.

BMT </div></div>
I think your statement gives a misimpression. Even in California you can hunt some animals at night, in certain areas, with certain lights, a certain distance from the road, at some times of the year and so on. We're going pig hunting next week in TX and our ATVs are equipped with lights because it's often done at dusk or later. Here piggy piggy! </div></div>

+1!!

While I agree that SOME nighttime hunting is strictly forbidden by state laws/regulations, there are a good many exceptions. Many states allow hunting after dark with certain guidelines, restrictions, permitting, etc. For example, I regularly hunt after dark on crop-damage permits for whitetail deer (doe ONLY) and other animal "nuisances" to healthy/hearty fields. It is good sport and a real challenge (even with lights, day-scopes with illuminated reticles, dedicated NV setups, etc.).

I've heard the Ultras were all glued in? That why they were maintnace proof literally? I found out from a tech at Leupold that many mk4 scopes are etched glass reticle now (my '08 mk4m3 included) rather than just the m3a and older ultras. I also remember reading Army was aquiring new M3s rather than M3As for use on M24 but I can't remember when and where I read that. Every branch has seen major changes in sniper gear for the past 6 or so years. I don't know how long the mark4 M3 will be used on Army bolt guns but there's sure a lot of variable leupolds on autos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most night-time hunting is illegal is the US.

BMT </div></div>
I think your statement gives a misimpression. Even in California you can hunt some animals at night, in certain areas, with certain lights, a certain distance from the road, at some times of the year and so on. We're going pig hunting next week in TX and our ATVs are equipped with lights because it's often done at dusk or later. Here piggy piggy! </div></div>

BACON!

Ultras were etched glass mildot reticule. When they switched to MK4 many of the non military versions had wire reticules for awhile, until they started failing. Then they went back to etched glass MK4s had etched glass like the original Ultras did

Easy way to tell is if scope has football shaped mildots you have smashed wire. If they are round you have glass etched.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah my favorite was the Ultra M2, with a V Reticle. Had hold overs built in for Special Ball. If I find one of those for a good price I will own one again. </div></div>
Someone is showing their age!
grin.gif

The Army is using the Leupold MK4 L/RT optic as one of their systems.

An elite 3200 10x I have is a wire reticle but it is round(squarish) milldots rather than footballs. Scope was meant to go on a light varmint gun but I never mounted the scope.