• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Become a Police Officer .... going to be a good financial move

hunter1959

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2020
I am coming to the opinion that becoming a Police Officer may very well be one of the best trade school decision some can make... rather than becoming a plumber or an electrician or an auto mechanic, you might want to look at this... with the political issues today, soon current LE will be dropping like flies for other work... when these defund the police cities finally come to their senses they will need to more than double the funding to just cover the salary component needed to reestablish the force... give it thought...

Reactions: Wading
Once the push for individual liability goes away...maybe.

The only way for it to be financially advantageous while being a .gov employee is as an elected official with all the added "benefits" that comes with it.

Reactions: 308pirate
There so many reason to not become a police officer today, I can't fathom any wanting to go into the profession. That job is closely become something akin to a prison guard.

I love those who are still in the pits fighting for us today, but for someone to select this profession this day or in the future, isn't something I'd recommend.

Reactions: Foul Mike
A lot of our guys are taking the hit financially and retiring early, and our academy is shut down. The retirement plan has been bumped down twice for new hires in the last few years. Undoubtedly this will happen again. We never really recovered from the financial crisis when a large number of people jumped ship. Our academy was just keeping pace with retirements since that time. Now we’re screwed. So much has changed in my career, not just the stuff I listed above.

On the other hand, we do need people very bad, and I’m pretty sure that’s true all over.

Probably better to go be a hose dragger though. 🚒

When the "police force" assigned to protect those "in charge" decide to walk off the job MAYBE...JUST MAYBE....things will change in the minds of politicians.

Guys ....get together and just walk off the job for a week.

When the "police force" assigned to protect those "in charge" decide to walk off the job MAYBE...JUST MAYBE....things will change in the minds of politicians.

Guys ....get together and just walk off the job for a week.

That wouldn't have that much of an impact. Remember, they can afford or will legislate a private security force, if their police department didn't do the job.

Truth from Long ago,
That guy was a Chicago cop,...how do you know,...he's driving a Jag,...
That guy was a Chicago cop,...how do you know,... takes money to keep that kind of pussy around at his age,...
That guy was a Chicago cop,...how do you know,...look at the house and tell me who else could afford it,...
That guy was a Chicago cop,...how do you know,...he'd have to be to feed that many kids,...

Demand may go up but a big factor is how easy it is to enter the profession. It's fairly easy to become a police officer (compared to other more education/trade school intensive jobs), so I believe the financial aspect will remain the same. And that's not to mention the government control of salaries.

The only way for it to be financially advantageous while being a .gov employee is as an elected official with all the added "benefits" that comes with it.
[/QUOTE You do get a pension, My Uncle, & Brother both retired Wash DC & LA Uncle hated being a Police officer, retired as a Detective back in 90 he still described it as going to slums opening a room filled with flys, Hated the ppl in LA, Brother retired at 50 as a glorified report writer for the Captain who wasn't very bright, Uncles dead, brother still working 6 figures forever. Both recieved pensions before all this BS .If you got Steel Balls and can tolerate a piece of shit spitting and yelling at you from an inch away, you could be a city Police Officer.

I do think the police department all around the country will be funded properly and there will be a lot of promotion of those who stood firm. My son is also considering joining in.

Those thinking 'who would want to join today' should consider that lots of people said the same about the U.S. Military in the late 1970's. Hollow force. Terrible drug problems. Awful standards of troops. But those who were motivated, committed, intelligent, willing and able were the absolute core of building the military into what it was by the late 1980's and into today...

In times of strife and difficulty, there are great opportunities for the motivated. The Ziggurat is easier to navigate for your 'generation' of officers (or soldiers/sailors, etc.). And you have a better opportunity to both shine and make a difference.

It's a good time to get in, too, while there are still people who have been around long enough to learn from.

Sirhr

Reactions: Desert Raven
Those thinking 'who would want to join today' should consider that lots of people said the same about the U.S. Military in the late 1970's. Hollow force. Terrible drug problems. Awful standards of troops. But those who were motivated, committed, intelligent, willing and able were the absolute core of building the military into what it was by the late 1980's and into today...

In times of strife and difficulty, there are great opportunities for the motivated. The Ziggurat is easier to navigate for your 'generation' of officers (or soldiers/sailors, etc.). And you have a better opportunity to both shine and make a difference.

It's a good time to get in, too, while there are still people who have been around long enough to learn from.

Sirhr

I enlisted during the Carter years. Nothing was too good for the military.... and that's what we got.

Talk about a 180 when Regean took office.

Reactions: 308pirate
I enlisted during the Carter years. Nothing was too good for the military.... and that's what we got.

Talk about a 180 when Regean took office.
Yeah, and for the life of me, I could never figure that out with that guy.... And he was a USNA graduate... and a personal selection right out of the Academy by Hyman Rickover to be part of the nuclear team on Sub development... have always scratched my head over what went wrong in his head...