• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Becoming a gunsmith.

Re: Becoming a gunsmith.

Get rich doing something else first.

Need the big pile first to make the little one later. . .
smile.gif

While the previous post was helpful, check out gunsmithing schools online. A couple guys I know started in machine shops, where they learned to use a mill, lathe, etc... I imagine there will be substantial start up costs without much return initially.

I, by the way, am not a gunsmith, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Haha. Thanks. I kinda did that. I have a passion for shooting and everything gun related. I have a small gun store near Lubbock TX and now am moving to the Abiline,TX area and need to have a job of some kind or i will go crazy. Id like to do a gun range and teach ppl the art of shooting. I have a army sniper friend coming out of military after his tour that could help with tactical aspect. I dont know what to do so i guess im just fishing for ideas.

Just a thought, but perhaps you could find someone who is just graduating from one of the major gunsmithing colleges around the country. Offer him a shop in the back of your store for very CHEAP rent w/ the understanding that he will teach you what he knows as you go. eventually once he is up and going and can branch off to his own place, you can take over the gunsmithing jobs that come into your store?

Education is the only way to do it. Experience is a cruel teacher. Tishomingo OK wouldn't be too far from you, if nothing else look into doing the NRA short term Gunsmithing Schools (like one week on one specialized topic, 1911, 700 etc)and give those a whirl. Try to get into some armorer's classes there as well.
Find the local community college and get in on welding and machine shop courses and learn the tools. I had been in a few different shops and was atleast a machine operator when I finally went to school the first time and it made life easier x 100. Utilize AGI videos here and there, they are actually well done and we used some for school and I still use them now and again for reference on specialized subject matter, it never hurts and you can find the videos once viewed on Ebay often enough.
Let us know what you decide and how it works for you.

First get yourself a wife with a great paying job.
Second work a day job.
Third piddle evenings and weekends learning the trade while your hard working wife works her way up the corporate ladder so one day you can quit your day job and work for peanuts.

What part of the trade are you interested in? The only way to make any money is specialize in area and make a name for yourself and that takes time and experience. If there is one area you're interested in and there are competitive events. Go there, compete, make friends. You'll find a depth of knowledge there that is not taught in any class room and most will freely share information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First get yourself a wife with a great paying job.
Second work a day job.
Third piddle evenings and weekends learning the trade while your hard working wife works her way up the corporate ladder so one day you can quit your day job and work for peanuts.

What part of the trade are you interested in? The only way to make any money is specialize in area and make a name for yourself and that takes time and experience. If there is one area you're interested in and there are competitive events. Go there, compete, make friends. You'll find a depth of knowledge there that is not taught in any
class room and most will freely share information

LMAO!!! this is 100% correct, atleast it was in my case. I just got tired of making peanuts, and ended up retiring the shop in order to go make some real money without worries. BTW, I still get to build all I want and actually enjoy it now. Plus I have time to shoot what I build. Not to mention that not being a business, I no longer have to worry about, County, State, Uncle Sam, and our friends, the ATF. no permission required. Best of luck on that road, but be careful.

</div></div>

Put it into perspective:

There's a difference between gunsmith and shop owner.

Decide that first.

If your fortunate to be a smith that latches onto a Sugar Daddy/Momma, then your set. He/She will foot the bill while you dazzle the masses with brilliance.

If your like the majority it'll go something like this:

A lathe is a mandatory piece of gear unless your a full 20th degree Ninja with a Dewalt. That will set you back somewhere between $5,000 to maybe even (my case) $80,000.00

Figure the average barrel job runs $200 and takes around 2 hours to do by the time you figure in dickering, phone calls, setup, cycle time, finish work, etc.

So, you made a $100/hr with your investment. If we could all barrel 8 hours a day, 5 days a week we'd be rich right?

Now factor in tooling, paying yourself, Uncle Sugar, etc.

Reality here, your making about $20/hr if you hustle.

Not trying to dissuade or discourage. More the merrier in my book. Just understand this is an extremely competitive trade that demands a significant initial investment up front. In comparison to other businesses I guess its a pittance, but the reward potential in this game isn't as big either.

Keep in mind also the economic yeast infection were dealing with right now. Guns at the "custom level" have always historically been "slow and steady" so I guess we enjoy a certain level of immunity. That being said costs always seem to be increasing.

Just come in with eyes open and realistic expectations.

Good luck and wish you the best,

C.

Don't forget all the knuckle draggers that want to play knowledge joust with you and have no desire to spend a penny but want to jaw your ear off for 3 hours.....there is no tax break for that.

I had a shop for a while. Made good money bluing injectors for some diesel engine repair shop.

Also had a contract with firestone for re-surfacing fly wheels, $25 a peace, 15 minutes floor time to floor time.

I made a screw for an old winchester rifle, took me 45 min.and he paid me $2.00

Go Figure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget all the knuckle draggers that want to play knowledge joust with you and have no desire to spend a penny but want to jaw your ear off for 3 hours.....there is no tax break for that. </div></div>

In the car sales game this is known as a "stroke" or a "roach".

I had two room mates at one time that sold used cars so I learned about this. Best way I've found to deal with this is to simply start talking money and deposits.

Someone has to take charge during the exchange. Its a good tool to kill the phone and go back to work without being offensive.

Their are 2 schools of thought that I am seeing here, both are entirely valid. Learning smithing from a school is always the best way to go if you have no experience in gunsmithing, but experience is equally priceless. It comes down to what type of learner are you? Do you learn by doing it yourself and figuring it out, or do you learn better through a structured environment, that's a question that only you can answer.

I know a lot of gun smiths, some are good, others are complete hacks. The thing that I have found that separates the good ones from the hacks is machinery and the ability to think outside the box, mechanically. Some of the better gunsmiths I have run across have a background in a machine shop before they became a gunsmith. In a nutshell gunsmithing is basically manipulating metals, it just so happens that those metals when assembled make a firearm.

One very true statement here is to specialize in something, do it often and do it well. You will always be perfecting your skills as a gunsmith, or whatever trade you decide to go into in life. You should also be prepared to buy the best possible machinery you can to make your job easier, besides the clearly obvious tools here is some machinery that you should really have in your shop.

Metal Lathe
End Mill (milling machine)
Drill Press
10+ Ton Hydraulic Press
TIG welder

Of course each person here on this post will have other idea's of what they should use, my quick list above is not meant to be definitive, but simply a quick "brain dump" of a starting point to work from.

I truly wish you the best of luck!

thank you to everyone who posted an answer to this post. they all have been informative. all i have to do now is decide what the hell to do "in my next 30 years".