• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bed an AICS Stock, necessary?

Vin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2004
I tried to do a search regarding this and found nothing. I currently have a Rem 700 with a Rock Creek M24 contour 22 " barrel in an A-5 stock. I have shot an AI AW entensively through work and like the feel of the stock more than the A-5, it seems to fit me better so I am putting an AICS 2.0 stage on my Remington. For those that use the AICS, have you bedded them or not and did u notice a difference versus bedded or no bedded. I am obviously going to shoot it first and see how it goes but I would just like to get some feedback from guys who are currently shooting this platform. Thanks.

Re: Bed an AICS Stock, necessary?

I did not bed my AICS stock for my .308 700 SPS-V. That is the only modification I have made to the rifle and it is averaging 1/2 MOA. At 1000yds its right around
1-1.5 MOA. You shouldn't spend the time/money to bed it, just be sure to torque the action screws to 65#'s and blue loctite them.

When I replace the barrel down the road, I am going to have everything blue printed. But for now, It is shooting just great.

What are you doing with your A-5 stock? I am in the market for one for my other R700. PM me if your looking to sell, thanks.

I'm running a stock SPS-V in a 2.0 chassis. I did not bed it. I used a fat wrench to torque it down.

I love it and it certainly made the rifle shoot a helluva lot better. I love it. I'm not having as much luck as DS but I'm around a solid .75 MOA (from 1-1.5) after changing my stock out.

Coming from an A5 I don't know if you'll notice much of a difference to be honest. The A5 is a great stock from what I've read.

I love my AICS 2.0 and there's no way I'd trade it for anything right now.

I have one rifle in an AICS that is bedded (it was that way when I bought it) and comparing it to others that I have in AICS that are not bedded, I don't find ANY difference at all. So no...I don't see any need to bed an action to an AICS.

I personally prefer to remove the bedding block in front of the recoil lug so that the barrel is free-floated. This way no variances between the OD of the barrel and the action come into play and put stress on the action when it is torqued down. Also I needed to open up the lug a bit to fit my surgeon and when I did I discovered that the rear surface of the lug recess from the factory was a few thou out of square. Easily fixed while it was on the mill in my case. Alternatively, bedding the action would have fixed both these problems (though I still like a completely floated barrel even in a bedded stock.)

I have two and neither are bedded. I asked a reputable builder who's initials are similar to G.A.S and they said bedding is not worth it on an AICS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DedicatedShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did not bed my AICS stock for my .308 700 SPS-V. That is the only modification I have made to the rifle and it is averaging 1/2 MOA. At 1000yds its right around
1-1.5 MOA. You shouldn't spend the time/money to bed it, just be sure to torque the action screws to 65#'s and blue loctite them.

When I replace the barrel down the road, I am going to have everything blue printed. But for now, It is shooting just great. </div></div>

Isn't that a bit tight? I thought the torque for these was around 53-55#'s and no need for loctite?

I think bedding may only be required IF your remington 700 action is not 100% straight... I have read on here that often you can get warped, banana shaped actions.

If you have one of these types of actions, bedding it into the stock should create a solid platform and give you an increase in accuracy.

Keep in mind that these stocks are not meant to be bedded and that is one of its selling points.

I have even heard that AI can void stock warranty if you bed your action to it.

I say, get your 2.0 stock, and bolt in the action according to the instructions exactly. Take your favorite load down to the range and print some groups.

If the gun has widened up the groups and the problem isnt an easy solve then perhaps bedding might be considered as an option.

Im currently shooting about 0.4 MOA at 100 with my 700P in an AICS 1.5, unbedded... shooting 155gr Lapua Scenars in Lapua Brass, Federal GM 210 primers, 46gr AR2208 Powder.

168gr SMK, Hornady BTHP or AMAX - 43.5 grs IMR4895 - Win, Rem, Hornady, or Lapua Brass - CCI BR2 or 200 - 2.800 to 2.820 coal

all combos are .5 MOA at 100yds in my rifle. It's niiice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvdt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running a stock SPS-V in a 2.0 chassis. I did not bed it. I used a fat wrench to torque it down.

I love it and it certainly made the rifle shoot a helluva lot better. I love it. I'm not having as much luck as DS but I'm around a solid .75 MOA (from 1-1.5) after changing my stock out.

Coming from an A5 I don't know if you'll notice much of a difference to be honest. The A5 is a great stock from what I've read.

What load/s are you using? You should be seeing better results with ur setup.

I love my AICS 2.0 and there's no way I'd trade it for anything right now. </div></div>

Not necessary to bed it, that was the point of their v-Block. Torque the bolts to spec (can't remember exactly but 65# does sound a bit tight).

Mine holds consistant at .75 MOA with .5 or less coming more and more frequently as I figure out how to do my part.

I believe the torque specs for a Rem 700 in an AICS is only around 40 inch lbs. Not the 65 in lbs for a Rem 700 in a normal composite stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally prefer to remove the bedding block in front of the recoil lug so that the barrel is free-floated. This way no variances between the OD of the barrel and the action come into play and put stress on the action when it is torqued down. Also I needed to open up the lug a bit to fit my surgeon and when I did I discovered that the rear surface of the lug recess from the factory was a few thou out of square. Easily fixed while it was on the mill in my case. Alternatively, bedding the action would have fixed both these problems (though I still like a completely floated barrel even in a bedded stock.) </div></div>

what barrels are you running that have a diameter as large as the receiver? even a 1.25" diameter barrel doesn't come close to touching the vee in the chassis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">65# is the correct torque for the AICS, its what is was when I got it 2004 when I got my first one,don't see any reason they'ed change it. </div></div>

i think they recommend 53 inch pounds now but i don't see how 65 would hurt.

Thanks for your input guys.

I just installed my 700 LTR into an AICS 1.5 and current specs are for 6 newton meters torque=53 inch pounds. Just did it today.

Let us know how it turns out. I bedded mine after much thought even though the manufacturer and many here said you don't need to. I am a big fan of bedding if done right and it did make a noticeable improvement.

I just returned from a visit to my good friend Mark at short action customs and we did bedding test on my aics stock and found that it was .130" off on the rear bolt. He bedded just the rear mounting point for me and the results for were amazing. The rifle was about a 1 MOA gun before, now its a .25 MOA gun according to his test ammo. AI can claim what they want but there was a lot of stress on my action before the bedding. It never hurts to check it. Oh and for the torque we kept the 65 inch pounds.