• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Bedded my first scope base today

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
Well, I went to mount a scope to my Remington 700 today and I used the indicating rods to check the alignment of the two piece Leupold base and rings. I dialed in the "windage" but realized that the rear rod was much lower than the front. So I clamped a 1" rod in the rings and isolated the rear as being too low. Hmmmmm....Looks like I will have to bed the rear to get the correct alignment and then lap.

So I modified the rod and made up some little 6x48 rods that threaded into the screw holes in the receiver. I clamped the rod into the two scope rings connecting them and making them almost like a makeshift 1 piece base. I then prepped the action by spraying Brownells Acra-release on it, I taped off the section of the rear mount, sanded and ruffed it up so the Marine Tex had something to hold on to, then I degreased. Then I covered up the "clean" section of the bottom of the base and sprayed release agent on the base. I then added my Marine Tex to the bottom of the rear base and installed the whole scope ring/base assembly on carfully and tightened the front scope base screws, bringing the rear base to the correct height.

I'm open to any constructive criticism or different/better ways to bed scope bases. <span style="font-weight: bold">

Determining that the rear of the receiver is too low.</span>
DSC03571.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Prepping the receiver and installing my posts.</span>
DSC03573.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Roughing up the bottom of the base and giving the Marine Tex a place to hold.</span>
DSC03583.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">
Applying the release agent on the base.</span>
DSC03585.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Setting up the epoxy and bases.</span>
DSC03586.jpg

Re: Bedded my first scope base today

Excellent illustration of the differences that are present in an action. Imagine the stress on the tube if you had clamped everything down and used the "bigger hammer" method of getting everything into position.

Did you happen to check the gap with a feeler gauge to see how much of a gap there was?

Good post here. I'm glad to see more people getting into mounting everything stress-free. If you had a scope on with that setup before, I PROMISE you will see improved accuracy.

-matt

Great example and illustration!

This is the exact reason I torque to spec the front 2 screws and check for a gap in the rear of the base, I don't want to harp on another member in another thread, but this is the correct way to bed a scope base.

There is one thing that I wish I would have done differently...

I wish I would have screwed the posts down all the way so there was no exposed threads. They can get epoxy in them and cause problems when pulling the base off.

DSC03573.jpg

One part I don't understand, maybe I just read it wrong. Did you put release agent on the base AND action? If so, you just have a thin layer of bedding (like a shim) floating around that may crush/crack and fall out.

I may be wrong, but I believe the bedding needs to stick to the base permanently.

Brad

I placed a piece of tape over the bottom of the base and sprayed release agent on the base, then pulled the tape off of the bottom. Now the top and sides of the base have release agent and the tace kept the bottom free so the epoxy could grab. Sorry for the confusion.

One of the best things about Snipershide forum, is that glassing mounts to receivers does not get flamed out.

The $100k Mauser rifle scope mount bridges are soldered.
The $1M pieces of tooling at Boeing are glassed together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSC03586.jpg
</div></div>

More epoxy next time!

Just kiddin man. You do very nice, clean work. You can tell you pride in it instead of treating it like just a job.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the exact reason I torque to spec the front 2 screws and check for a gap in the rear of the base, I don't want to harp on another member in another thread, but this is the correct way to bed a scope base. </div></div>

In this situation.

What if your base makes perfect contact on the bottom, but the "lug" on the base doesnt make contact? Wouldnt it then only make sense to bed the lug area?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSC03586.jpg
</div></div>

More epoxy next time!

Just kiddin man. You do very nice, clean work. You can tell you pride in it instead of treating it like just a job.

Keith </div></div>

When in doubt...............
grin.gif

Thanks man, I wonder if Winchester/FN's have this problem???? Haha

When will the after pics be taken?

It was great talking to you today. I have a feeling we'll be watching eachothers careers grow into something great over the next 20 years.

Keep it up

Keith

Keith, same here, it was good talking to you. You just need to take your education in your own hands, keep using Snipers Hide and don't be afraid to call up one of the "big guys" for advice. Who knows, maybe one day we will be getting phone calls asking for advice...lol

Hopefully it wont take 20 years!

Give me a call anytime, I will do the same.

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hopefully it wont take 20 years!</div></div>

But hopefully it lasts 20 years.... with how gun laws and ammo prices might go in the near future

Consider cutting your posts shorter and slotting them. Also consider Devcon.