• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedded or Chassis? That is the question!

eodcam

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2011
Panama City
Question for all you Smiths out there. Looking at having an F-Class Gun built. For a competetion rifle, do you recommend a Bedded action or a Chassis / bedding block? Why / Why not?

Thanks!

Re: Bedded or Chassis? That is the question!

The bedding job is prone to fail in time due to being more flexible and less mechanicly strong. More so in a wooden stock and less so in a rigid fiberglass stock.
The full length bedding block is more long lasting if it is a good fit.
The full alloy chassis is a good rigid setup if it is one piece all the way along the stock from forend to behind the action.
However some are not that great at fitting the action and may require some skim bedding and they are expensive .
Weight is the big factor in an F class rifle. You may like something but it may not make the weight restrictions .
I would look at both the rigid fiberglass stock with bedding block and a full length alloy chassis and compare the weight outcome combined with the barrel , action , trigger , scope , mounts and any bipod you may be using . One may make the weight easier than the other .

Thanks for the info Country! I spoke to an Action manufacturer and a well known Gun builder and they both Said that Bedding was the way to go and the chassis wasn't. I know with my shooting capabilities I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, however. The action manufacturer gave the best explanation, because or the nature of the metal used in the actions, it will not be perfectly round. When you torque the action into the block it will push and pull on different places on the action, this may cause a slight twist or tweak the action in some sort of fashion that could degrade the accuracy of the rifle. when "Glass" Bedded the material will give and mold in the shape of the actions metal variances and not cause the pressure points mentioned before about the block.
I thought it to be an interesting observation. Then I called rifle builder and asked him about a Chassis vs. a Bedding job and he said for competition that a Bedding job was the way to go and the Chassis wasn't.
He didn't give a reason why, but I wasn't going to debate with a world class rifle builder, it obviously works.
It seems the military and the LE rifles are moving into the Chassis arena, and those rifles can shoot.
So I wanted to open up the debate to more folks and see what their thoughts are. This could help someone who’s on the fence on a rifle build, make up their mind.

most all rifle builders dont build theyre own chasis system
they all bed the action..this is what they can do..and when it needs done over you will go back to them

most benchrest shooters have been glueing the action to the stock

i agree with counttry the only considerations against a chasis system is weight and cost

metal on metal doesnt move or deteriorate with weather
the aiaw chasis system is the best system ive seen yet
go ask one of those well known rifle makers if you can chuck the rifle off of the roof of a house and hold zero... not just once
but everytime
xlr ind also makes a nice and affordable system

i'm a big fan of vee-block chassis for tactical shooting. the shape and possibly weight of chassis style stocks may not be ideal for f-class though. if you are looking for a dual purpose rifle that you still want to mag feed from, i'd certainly consider a mini-chassis in a glass stock. if the rifle is going to be a dedicated f-class rifle, i'd skip the chassis and bed it into a glass stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bkster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. . .the aiaw chasis system is the best system ive seen yet
go ask one of those well known rifle makers if you can chuck the rifle off of the roof of a house and hold zero... not just once
but everytime. . .
</div></div>

I've done this very thing. I built myself a sort of M40A1 (loose interpretation).

2nd story drop tests, moving vehicle drop tests, concrete floor/skip like a rock on a pond tests, etc. . .

Holds its zero and works just fine. Use the right resin system, do it well, and shouldn't have to bed a gun more than once.

I have the ability to make my own chassis. I chose to bed it instead. It boils down to personal preference and convienience.

Bedding is more work, but you can get a fit/finish that I've yet to see replicated in a chassis stock-any chassis stock.

Chassis are plug and play, easy and quick.

Both make accurate guns.

C.