• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bedding a 20moa base??

elkstalker338

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2010
colorado
Tyring to find sum way to kill more time until my PST arrives, does anyone remember or know where that article on here is about how to bed a base onto the recv, ?????? I sure hope santa is loading his sleigh with vortex PST's

Re: Bedding a 20moa base??

That link might get you in trouble if the top of the receiver is not true.

Read this thread to see the many views on this:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1059746#Post1059746

Check your rail for flat with a good straight edge. If good, then I would suggest putting one screw in the front and tighten. Does the rear of the base come off the receiver? Take that screw out and put it in the rearmost hole. Does the front come off? You need to bed the base in a stress free position. If it raises up at one end, you'll have to bed it so that it is held in location L/R, but not bent into comforming to the receiver.

Make sense?

John

There is this search tool as well: Sniper's Hide Google Search

The task is simple enough, just remember to <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">not</span></span> torque the screws until <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">after</span></span> the epoxy has fully cured.

TC

If the receiver is a close fit, you should probably just use blue loctite under the base. That is how Seekins told me to bed mine. It was an excellent fit, though.

I used blue locktite to do mine and I was surprised at how tough that stuff is. I decided to go another route with the mount and when it came time to remove the loctite, it was a bit of a chore getting it off.

I took my action out of the stock to remove stress from the receiver, then mounted the barrrel in a padded vice, I used the front screw to mount the base as the receiver is round in this area it naturally centers the base with the action.

I used brownells release agent on the action & JB weld to bed the base, I put the weld on the base & torqued the front screw to 40"lbs let it harden then removed it & cleaned up the overflow with a razor.

it worked great & my scope rested in the rings bind free.

I bed or glue all my one piece bases. Glue on rifles I dont wnat it to come off in comp. Bed on rifles I may make changes to

Glue: put mount on rec. Tape off areas you dont want bedding compound/Marine Tex to stick to. Acetone scope base bottom. Use Johnsons Paste wax on rec. Put several coats on and fill screw holes with wax. Roll screws in wax. Mix bedding copounds and use an acid brush to spread a thing coat of marine tex on rec scope base area. Put mount on and tighten about 50% of the way so marine tex squirts out all around it. Wipe off excess Marine Tex. Let set up, then tighten as normal.

For gluing on, just dont wax screws or rec. When you wnat the glued one off you need a heat gun or propane tourche to heat base.

I just ordered the ring lapping and alignment kit from sinclair intl, it should be here tomorrow so I can start playin around with the base and rings, UGGGGGG I need a PST HELLO SANTA LOL