• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bedding a .22 bolt gun

Nocalphoenix

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2008
Montana
Ok is it pretty much the same as a centerfire? Im running a 581 and dropping it into a stock I made but I wanted to decide on bedding before I finish the inletting. The barrel is stock and a thin .620 from breech to muzzle. I did add another action screw and will have it in pillars. Do you bed the action and full float the barrel or do you like to full length bed the barrel in the forend? The stock is stiffer than heck, 3 pieces of wood with carbon fiber in between so Im not real worried about anything moving if it is full length bedded.

Re: Bedding a .22 bolt gun

I bed the action and a slight pad for the barrel. Because rimfires are a vibration game you may end up needing to do a pressure pad of some sort up the barrel channel but that is something that can be experimented with. I use old bicycle inner-tubes cut into little squares. Then you have the torque on the action screws to play with
laugh.gif

Glock,
I drilled and tapped between the trigger assembly and the magazine opening. I thought about putting it behind the trigger assembly but the center screw position seemed the best based entirely on SWAG. I used the standard remington 700 action screw size and Im making pillars from 1/2" aluminum.

Norcal,
When I did mine, I used a single action screw with a pillar. Full action bedding plus 1 inch of barrel, acts like a front lug. Then full floated the rest of the barrel.

No comparison in how it shoots. Great now, just sorta ok prior to the bedding and barrel floating. Can send pics if you would like to see it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Norcal,
When I did mine, I used a single action screw with a pillar. Full action bedding plus 1 inch of barrel, acts like a front lug. Then full floated the rest of the barrel.

No comparison in how it shoots. Great now, just sorta ok prior to the bedding and barrel floating. Can send pics if you would like to see it.

</div></div>

Id be interested in seeing the pics. The 581 S was my first ever rifle, and im trying to rebuild it to better than new. Did you all use factory barrels, or a custom match tube?