• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bedding a B&C medalist

arrowslinger#1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2011
KY
www.google.com
Ok so long story short I have a stock that the barrel doesn't sit centered in - haven't checked my lug on the action yet but- I want to correct it by bedding.
It seems like the bedding block would be too snug against the sides to actually get any bedding material in.
Anyone else have this problem and is bedding a good idea ? It's only off a bit but I don't like it. Can it be bedded like it is or do I need to remove some material??? Help!

Well I just Bedded my B&C and I will tell you I saw a big accuracy increase so I would say go for it. To keep my barrel straight and floated in the channel I used electrical tape around the barrel in 2 places. I clearanced my recoil lug area a little but that was it. taped up the stock used shoe polish on the action removed the trigger assembly cleaned stock with acetone really well mixed up the Devcon and laid it down. It takes a few times doing it to know how much you will need mixing more is better when you first start it running out and having to mix more up quick can cause issues. One trick I figured out was to wait tell the Devcon was pretty well skimmed over and use a sharp popsicle stick to scrape off the excess spooge you can use a q tip with acetone to smooth it out then let it dry overnight. Here are some photos hope this helps I am in know way a gun smith but I think it turned out pretty well and it shoots to boot.

here it is after I pulled it apart

just used a file to clean up excess spooge

Looks good az. On the screw question, i never use the action screws to pull it down. Doing so can induce stress in the cured bedding. I like to use 1/4-28 bolts, about 4" long with the head cut off. They act as guides for the action when sitting it down in the bedding. I usually tape a layer or two on the studs so that they (and ur action bolts) are centered in the pillars/block. Don't forget to use release agent on them. When all is cured it is easier to unscrew the guides from the action before trying to pop the barreled action out.

Thanks a lot for the replies and the pics- when you bedded did you use the action screws to pull it down or did you just tape it in place?

I bought longer screws and cut the heads then covered the threads with one layer of tape then shoe polish. You just need them to make sure your action screws line up.I have found electrical tape works well to hold it in place you can also use surgical tubing but most everyone has electrical tape. Thanks 6brshooter

Here are a few pics of what I'm working with- was yours this tight of a fit before bedding? I'm just not sure I have room for the bedding? Does this look right?
I understand that it will raise the entire action up in the stock a bit- will it just make it's own fit or will I be too thin on the sides? Just checking before I get into all of this.
Thanks again!

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 22
  • g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 24
  • g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 19
Here are a few pics of what I'm working with- was yours this tight of a fit before bedding? I'm just not sure I have room for the bedding? Does this look right?
I understand that it will raise the entire action up in the stock a bit- will it just make it's own fit or will I be too thin on the sides? Just checking before I get into all of this.
Thanks again!

You need to make room for the bedding...

Looks pretty centered to me, not counting the right front. May just be the stock...

Last edited:
I used Accu Riser spacers when I bedded my last B & C stock. They're basically washers that vary in thickness to lift the action off of the bedding block so you can get bedding compound between the two. They work pretty well. I believe there sold by ernie the gunsmith.

Yes, they stay in place and are locked in by the bedding compound. If you search Ernie the gunsmith and look under gunsmith tip number 6 it shows a pretty good tutorial on how they work. I tried to post a link earlier, but it must have been blocked.

I used a carbide burr to remove a slight amount of material and provide a rough surface for the bedding material. Use tape around the barrel to center it and set the action height. Action screws with cut off heads and several layers of tape so that they never touch the bedding material after assembly.