• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding a Barrel

ipscmaster

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
North Carolina
I am building a model 7 Rem. in 243AI. I am using a laminated thumbhole stock with a very large slow taper 24 in. barrel. I have bedded a few guns with acceptable succes , but I am worried this barrel may be too heavy to freefloat on such a short action. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone with experience with the Model 7 action. I have had the action "blueprinted" and would like to get as mich accuracy as possible. By the way, I am new here and have found a lot of useful information. Thanks, ipscmaster

Re: Bedding a Barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Float it. Install pillars and bed the action .... you'll be fine. </div></div>

+1 to this.. Bed the action and 1" in front of the recoil lug. Dont go any futher than 1"..

Re: Bedding a Barrel

I do not think there is enough room to pillar bed the rear of the action. Maybe just skim bedding wil be strong enough? What do you guy's think?
ipscmaster