• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes bedding a base ?

half

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2011
western south dakota
Hi,
I am new to the forum. I just bought a Ken Farrell MOA base for a Savage 110. I snugged the front screws up and the back was a few thousands from touching. The instructions say to bed the base with epoxy. My question is, is it worth it? and if I bed the rear of the base I will get more MOA correct? Thanks

Re: bedding a base ?

We ran into the same thing on both our guns. When we first got the mounts we put the screws in and mounted the scope and started shooting. One day I laid a 6" level on a straight edge on top of the mount near the front and leveled the gun, then slid it back and it was over a full bubble off. I took the scope off and loosened the rear screw and the tops of both of our actions did not match the curve of the mount.

The mount was correct but the action curve was not even and twisted the mount when we tightened the rear screw. We mixed up some JBWeld and bedded the rear section and now they fit perfect. We also gained a slight increase in moa. On a custom or high end action the chance for it being machined/finished incorrectly should be less.

Just mix up the epoxy, be sure to put release agent on the action, in the hole and on the screw. Snug down the front screws and put in the rear screw to line everything up and let it sit overnight. Wipe off any extra epoxy and you should be good to go the next day to torque everything down and mount the scope.

Good luck

Topstrap