• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding a full aluminium bedded stock

bdh308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2009
Paris,Tennessee
Hey guys. I bought one of the new Choate Tactical stocks which has the Vgrooved aluminum bedding block in it. Is it necessary to bed the rest of the rifle and if so which part of the stock and what kind of bedding would you recommend?

Re: Bedding a full aluminium bedded stock

I would bed it. I would full lenght bed the reciver. Bed a pad in front of the recoil lug if you wish.

Devcon steel putty for bedding compound.

Even with the V grooved aluminum bedding? When you say the full length of the reciever you are including the tang. Glass bed or other? Sorry for the 20 ?s Is there any really good how tos cause I would really like to try this myself?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even with the V grooved aluminum bedding?</div></div>

Yes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you say the full length of the reciever you are including the tang.</div></div>

Yes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Is there any really good how tos cause I would really like to try this myself? </div></div>

3 of them... One by myself, one by Wnroscoe, one by Scimitar.

install it as is and try it out. if it doesn't shoot the way you think it should, then worry about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">install it as is and try it out. if it doesn't shoot the way you think it should, then worry about it. </div></div>

Pretty sound advice as a starting point. If it doesn't shoot to your expectation then start exploring other variables such as bedding, trigger work and possibly crown touch up. Reloading doesn't hurt either.

I've bedded ALOT of rifles and it isn't or ever will be the one fix to make a fair shooting gun into a bugholer. It's simply another problem or possible problem that you can eliminate to make your rifle into a more repeatable platform.