• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bedding a Lakefield/Savage 900TR/S/B ???

jet_lagged

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2010
WA, The Evergreen State (KBFI)
Pulled the Savage 900 apart to work on the trigger a bit and use it as a trainer, after not shooting it for years.

I was thinking of bedding it, as the wood is getting a bit crushed where the stock assembly screw holds the receiver to the stock.

But in looking at it, it's really muzzle heavy, so to really free float the barrel, I need something to put tension on the rear of the action.

Part #17 in the diagram, the "rear stud" seems to just function as a rear recoil lug (not that there is any recoil).

Has anybody tried swapping this out with a longer screw to tension down the rear of the action and link it into a beefed-up trigger guard floorplate? Or tap a screw into this part to do the same?

If so any pictures or screw thread/size info would be appreciated.

Or it that route not practical, and everyone just beds the first few inches of the barrel to counter the muzzle heaviness? Seems like a MK I/II has the same issues. I tried a search, but did not see any good pictures, so a link, if I missed it, would be great.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturer...900TR-39871.htm