• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bedding a Remington 5r

BigHink66

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2020
I have a gen II 5r in 6.5 creed moor. I have only shot about 5 loads through it, and it's about a 1" group at 100 yards. 1 load was around a 1/2". Not enough shooting for me to say it won't shoot, but not impressing me.

Any way, I pulled it out of the stock and was looking for wear marks on the action and bedding. It seems like its riding on the outside rails. Not touching on the bottom.

The main issue I found is the bedding block does not touch the recoil lug. When the action is slid fully to the rear of the stock, the screw holes in the stock do not line up with the action holes. The lug seems to be about a 1/16 of an inch from the bedding block when the screws are centered. This means the action screws are actually serving as the recoil lug. Which seems like a bad situation to me.

Is it ok for me to use jb weld in the lug area to mate the bedding block to the lug with the action screws centered in the holes? Or is there a different approach that will yield a better result? Like redrilling the block with the lug against the bedding block?

Should I call HS precision and see if I can get a new stock? I am guessing Remington at this point would be less than responsive. I bought this rifle a month before they announced they were for sale.

I have a gen II 5r in 6.5 creed moor. I have only shot about 5 loads through it, and it's about a 1" group at 100 yards. 1 load was around a 1/2". Not enough shooting for me to say it won't shoot, but not impressing me.

Any way, I pulled it out of the stock and was looking for wear marks on the action and bedding. It seems like its riding on the outside rails. Not touching on the bottom.

The main issue I found is the bedding block does not touch the recoil lug. When the action is slid fully to the rear of the stock, the screw holes in the stock do not line up with the action holes. The lug seems to be about a 1/16 of an inch from the bedding block when the screws are centered. This means the action screws are actually serving as the recoil lug. Which seems like a bad situation to me.

Is it ok for me to use jb weld in the lug area to mate the bedding block to the lug with the action screws centered in the holes? Or is there a different approach that will yield a better result? Like redrilling the block with the lug against the bedding block?

Should I call HS precision and see if I can get a new stock? I am guessing Remington at this point would be less than responsive. I bought this rifle a month before they announced they were for sale.
I have bedded alot of rifles with jb weld. Never had an issue. Just my experience

My main concern is how much jb will be between the lug and the block. If it will hold up. And if my plans to center the action screws with the stock screws is the best way to do this.

This is my first bedding job. I may be worried about nothing

I just bedded a model 70 in a boyds stock with jb weld. I use celophane cling wrap and wrap my action, then i use a little under a quarter of a tube to bed and the excess if there is any is easy to clean up when you pull the action again. The cling wrap lets me run the pillar screws in without jb welding them in place. But i also make sure to lossen them and re tighten them about 2 hours after bedding just in case some jb weld got on the screw.

It is a positive fit. When i put the action back into my stock it clicks in basically. I just started using o rings on my barrels when i bed too to keep the spacing on the barrel channel perfect.