• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding a rifle with a rubber gasket?

targetterror

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2008
Boston, MA
I know that the best practice for bedding a rifle is using some sort of glass or epoxy compound, but does anyone have any experience bedding a rifle using some sort rubber gasket material? Ie, something that will compress enough to form a contour with both the action and stock, but remain rigid enough that fills in any imperfections in the mating surface?

Some applications I can think of might be where you don't want the mess and hassle of using epoxy, or where you are not sure if you are going to keep a certain stock/action combo. In the latter, glass would essentially kill any resale value or further utility of that stock.

Re: Bedding a rifle with a rubber gasket?

I've used rubber insulating tape to bed a rimfire and it worked fine. It compressed and formed to shape after being in the stock for about 2 weeks and had to be replaced.

I don't know how it would do for a centerfire rifle.

I doubt it would do worth a flip. I think the main point of skim bedding is around the lug and rear contact point. With the rubber you wouldn't get a firm anchor around the lug and it would probably allow minute movement that you wouldn't notice. But I'm still a newbie on things so wait for other replies but IMO it wouldn't work well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trey Warren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I doubt it would do worth a flip. I think the main point of skim bedding is around the lug and rear contact point. With the rubber you wouldn't get a firm anchor around the lug and it would probably allow minute movement that you wouldn't notice. But I'm still a newbie on things so wait for other replies but IMO it wouldn't work well </div></div>

You're correct, the majority of the help that bedding provides comes from the tenon ring and recoil lug support. The reason it worked on my 22LR is because there's no recoil lug in that rifle to speak of, just a screw through the receiver that keeps the rifle in place via friction between it and the stock.

If you do some research you may find that a long range rifle maker that also sold stocks to match used a very thin polymer piece between his stocks(metal)and actions to bed them together.

I can not remember who it was, but I do remember that Sinclair International was importing them in to the US.

Like I said I am not sure who it was, but for some reason I am thinking that it was an Austrailian or German company.

Good luck!
Brian

I did a quickie bedding job on a Savage .223 plastic stock using dabs of butyl rubber glazing compound, left over from me building the wife's greenhouse. One dab on the recoil lug, and 4 dabs at the 4 corners of the receiver. Improved the grouping. Sorta a semi-glue-in. Dumped the stock because of flexing in the forend when using a sling, put on a choate barge anchor, and redid the butyl dabs in the choate stock. Drops 77 gr Black Hills molys into the x ring at 600 yds(F-class, no wind). I figure anything that dampens vibrations is good.

The Browning factory installed BOSS option was produced in conjunction with a flexible bedding system. The process has some scientific and commercial basis.

When I experimented with harmonic barrel tuners, the flexible bedding was to be a second-stage upgrade to the experiment. My results with the first stage led me to abandon the project, as results were not consistent when outdoor temperatures changed significantly.

I have experimented with barrel channel pressure pads, and short bedding extensions ahead of the recoil lug, both utilizing soft silicone RTV materials. Results were inconsistent.

Greg