• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bedding a Ruger "Precision"

Travelor

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2003
Central Arkansas
Either here or on Rimfire Central I saw one poster talked about bedding his Ruger :precision". I cannot find it. Will someone help please.

From looking at the unexplained flyers using good ammo, there are just to many of these. I have to beleve that something is loose and is causing this but have not found it yet. Maybe the poster talking about bedding has found it.

Wow holy sheep s....t, i sent my RPR back to ruger 2x and had 2 different barrels put on and didnt make a bit of difference,,,, i think when people think of presicion they thing 10 shots and 1 ragged hole,that is probably the case for your avg. Consumer,but people like us are always looking for a way to get every bit of accuracy we can.... And i/ me cant always afford to have a rifle built from scratch,i have a few center fires that were,but dang it i have been bite by this rimfire bug and its brutally addictive,,good thing i dont drink or do drugs... I went and bought a match chambered e.r. shaw barrel for the RPR and it made all the difference in the world other than a few groups that give me a vertical spred, i am interested in this lil humdinger being able to be beded as well. Please let me know how that works out for anyone that trys it.. thanks

VICTORY. My friend and I both have RPR's and have been very dissatisfied with the accuracy of these guns. Given that they are mounted in and injection molded stocks with NO bedding we were hoping for around 1/2" groups at 50 yards with match grade ammo. I tried probably a couple f brinks of various expensive ammo with nothing repeatedly reaching my goal. I felt the problems were that something was loose but could not find the culprit until we tried the suggestion of looking at the "bedding" of action and stock.

I put two thicknesses of freezer tape on each side of the action where the rear action screw holds the action to the stock and two thicknesses of tape under the bottom of the action where the front action screw secures the action to the stock. I saw immediate improvement in groups of 10 shots even with the thread protector on and better yet with my silencer attached. Now the gun is shooting at the hoped for level of 1/2" at 50 yards for 10 shots with Federal UM.

My buddy had bought a Green Mountain barrel but no improvement was seen in the target groups. He applied one thickness of air conditioning duct tape to front of the action at the front action screw area and was experiencing the same improvement with SK Pistol Match as I had found.

Hopefully we have found the solution thanks to MTwelder. Try it and report back.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffLebowski
Hi Travelor
Glad to hear that the bedding solution has helped to resolve some of your accuracy issues. This is on the list for my rifle as well but I want to gather some data on the improvement from the barrel swap prior to making additional changes.

Hi Travelor
Glad to hear that the bedding solution has helped to resolve some of your accuracy issues. This is on the list for my rifle as well but I want to gather some data on the improvement from the barrel swap prior to making additional changes.

Either here or on Rimfire Central I saw one poster talked about bedding his Ruger :precision". I cannot find it. Will someone help please.

From looking at the unexplained flyers using good ammo, there are just to many of these. I have to beleve that something is loose and is causing this but have not found it yet. Maybe the poster talking about bedding has found it.

Finally figured out how to post pics, had to down load a photo sizer..
These are groups from e.r. shaw barrel
And underneath is kidd barrel on my 10/22 it was kind of windy hope this help

Attachments

• IMG_20180829_180107801-2137x1603o.jpg
    IMG_20180829_180107801-2137x1603o.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 268
What had happened was i was getting good groups with sk red box and yellow so I weighed them to see uf there was a difference, and not as much as I thought.

Elfster Rifles & Reloading video about the RPRR tape bedding process:

Reactions: gnochi
Is 1 piece of aluminum tape usually enough on each side? I dont see any movement after bedding, but how can such a thin piece of aluminum make such a big difference? I have yet to shoot mine after bedding, so I have no idea how it did for me yet.