• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Auryx356

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2023
America
Hey, all.

First time poster here. Read through the rules and a few other bedding posts and feel pretty confidently about technique and materials, but am just looking for a bit of confirmation and advice.

I'm bedding into a Boyd At-One, and the rifle has been performing pretty well out to 1000 yards, but I'm lacking consistency and I can visibly see my receiver seating isn't the greatest, as I have barrel contact at the forend. I've noticed by experiment that a good seating will fix my free-float issue.

Now, what I'm needing advice on his how to handle a stock embedded recoil lug. I saw an earlier post where a gentleman had one and I'm not sure how it was prepared, but he ended up with a space there, and having to redo it, but never got back to post after that. I've taken a dremmel and roughed up the surfaces where my receiver will mate, all the up to behind the lug. I'm assuming since just beyond it is gonna be my barrel nut and then barrel so I shouldn't bed past the lug, right? On top of that, I don't wanna end up with some weird ass space there.

Any advice on how to prepare the area around the lug would be appreciated. I've got a shit ton of modeling clay to fill holes, and have removed my trigger group--I don't have a tang on my receiver--and am gonna clay that up, but yeah. Any insight in the lug and tang area would be appreciated. Pictures relevant. ( The painter's tape on the barrel will be replaced by electrical tape to ensure centering. And should I also bed around my bolt handle notch? )

Attachments

• 20230806_221242.jpg
    20230806_221242.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 20230806_221210.jpg
    20230806_221210.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230806_221226.jpg
    20230806_221226.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 67
Suggest you take this to the Axis section on Savageshooters.com. Very helpful site for all things Savage.

Couple months late but I did the same thing earlier this year. Turned out great with marine tex. It was also my first one. It went really smooth and I'll be bedding my origin in my McMillan as soon as it comes in this month. Hope yours went as smooth.