• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bedding a V-22 recoil lug XLR

JMcQ

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2019
SC
Is it worth my time to bed the recoil lug
area on my V-22 In a XLR envy. Seems like a lot of unfilled space in the lug area. I wasn’t going to bother till I read a thread on minimizing rotational movement when cycling the bolt. I hadn’t really though about it helping in the regard.
I’ve never done any bedding work, but it looks straight forward I already have some unused Devcon steel.

I guess there is no reason not to. So he real question is if I should expect any gains?

I personally never bothered. Same set up. Torque down the action screws while ensuring the recoil lug is square against the wall. I don't think i run the bolt hard enough to experience rotational movement when cycling the bolt....

My personal 2 ¢

I don't do benchrest, but I've just made sure the action is installed with the magazine in it to make sure it's not canted and tightened it to 65 in/lbs. I could not imagine there's going to be some sort of torque from the bolt that is going to move it... especially given I run my centerfire actions shooting 308,6.5 recoil w/o any issues in the XLR as well.

These are all 10 round groups at 50 yards with the Vudoo.

1652032336705.png

I personally never bothered. Same set up. Torque down the action screws while ensuring the recoil lug is square against the wall. I don't think i run the bolt hard enough to experience rotational movement when cycling the bolt....

My personal 2 ¢
I expected that will be the answer.
I may do it just for the practice. I have a new Envy that I was going to bed the lug on my Origin action.
The Vudoo shoots great so I’m not sure there is any room left to improve other than a tuner and ammo.
Like many I just want to shoot every round into the previous hole. I’d never admit it may be me vs the rifle when I don’t get the results I want ;)

I wouldn't bother. You'd have to yard on that thing to get it to move at all if your action screws are torqued properly, and would likely bend the bolt handle or damage something else in the process.

I don't do benchrest, but I've just made sure the action is installed with the magazine in it to make sure it's not canted and tightened it to 65 in/lbs. I could not imagine there's going to be some sort of torque from the bolt that is going to move it... especially given I run my centerfire actions shooting 308,6.5 recoil w/o any issues in the XLR as well.

These are all 10 round groups at 50 yards with the Vudoo.

View attachment 7865688
I get the same results.
The only reason I’d bother is I’m starting to do most of my shooting 150-300y
Even 150 with the v-22 is boringly easy on the 9in plate I have at 150.
Im going to add a 3in, but leave the 9in for friends.

Reactions: Badjujuu
I expected that will be the answer.
I may do it just for the practice. I have a new Envy that I was going to bed the lug on my Origin action.
The Vudoo shoots great so I’m not sure there is any room left to improve other than a tuner and ammo.
Like many I just want to shoot every round into the previous hole. I’d never admit it may be me vs the rifle when I don’t get the results I want ;)
I'm not a SME on bedding etc. So not sure how hard / easy is to remove the bedding material from the chassis if you ever decide to move the barrel action to something else and let go the XLR.... I personally wouldn't want to limit myself on something permanent and be limited options later on when selling the chassis/stock. Thus the convenience of having a standard REM700 SA footprint...

But please correct me if I'm wrong

I'm not a SME on bedding etc. So not sure how hard / easy is to remove the bedding material from the chassis if you ever decide to move the barrel action to something else and let go the XLR.... I personally wouldn't want to limit myself on something permanent and be limited options later on when selling the chassis/stock. Thus the convenience of having a standard REM700 SA footprint...

But please correct me if I'm wrong
You’re not wrong, this was my other thought that I didn’t add. Bedding it, esp to a Vudoo with its minimal recoil lug, risks losing significant resale value, since many won’t trust a bedding job that isn’t specific to their action or that wasn’t performed by Hattori Hanzo himself. A Vudoo bedding means you can’t put a centerfire R700 action in it, the lug recess won’t be deep enough.

Advise against bedding.

Reactions: Badjujuu
Just a thought...and I was looking at the extra 'real estate' in my Boyd's 'At-One' CZ457 stock (around the front action screw).
I did fill in all that extra space with JB Weld, as had same as OP's thoughts in my head about torquing, etc. as the CZ457 has quite tiny flat 'spots' to actually bed down on to. The At-One stock doesn't hold/support the sides of the action at all.
Could you not use polymorph beads for this instead?
You heat the beads to 60C (easily achieved with hot water), bung the bead/beads into the area you want them, replace and torque down action while beads still hot, wait a while to cool down before trimming of any excess.
It's not permanent, easily removed...but will give that support you want.
I know there is a write up some where about 'soft bedding'. Started with a guy using adhesive bandages to 'bed' his SMLE. Then developed into using stick-on foil (as used in air con trunking, etc)
You are just wanting to add support, as others said the action screws hold it all together anyway.
You can get the beads at craft shops, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/polymorph-beads/s?k=polymorph+beads
Worth trying? For sure it's not going to mess up resale value as the beads can be warmed up and removed with no damage.

Just a thought...and I was looking at the extra 'real estate' in my Boyd's 'At-One' CZ457 stock (around the front action screw).
I did fill in all that extra space with JB Weld, as had same as OP's thoughts in my head about torquing, etc. as the CZ457 has quite tiny flat 'spots' to actually bed down on to. The At-One stock doesn't hold/support the sides of the action at all.
Could you not use polymorph beads for this instead?
You heat the beads to 60C (easily achieved with hot water), bung the bead/beads into the area you want them, replace and torque down action while beads still hot, wait a while to cool down before trimming of any excess.
It's not permanent, easily removed...but will give that support you want.
I know there is a write up some where about 'soft bedding'. Started with a guy using adhesive bandages to 'bed' his SMLE. Then developed into using stick-on foil (as used in air con trunking, etc)
You are just wanting to add support, as others said the action screws hold it all together anyway.
You can get the beads at craft shops, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/polymorph-beads/s?k=polymorph+beads
Worth trying? For sure it's not going to mess up resale value as the beads can be warmed up and removed with no damage.
That’s not something I thought of
No worries about the release value on the chassis it was used and rattle bombed.

Is it worth my time to bed the recoil lug
area on my V-22 In a XLR envy. Seems like a lot of unfilled space in the lug area. I wasn’t going to bother till I read a thread on minimizing rotational movement when cycling the bolt. I hadn’t really though about it helping in the regard.
I’ve never done any bedding work, but it looks straight forward I already have some unused Devcon steel.

I guess there is no reason not to. So he real question is if I should expect any gains?
I believe I'm the one that started this recoil lug discussion in a reply to another thread so I'll ramble on a bit farther. To answer your question. No you probably won't see any gains by bedding the recoil lug. The recoil lug inlet on most aftermarket stocks and chassis I have delt with is so large the lug just floats around in them. That's OK. Problems arise if the inlet is not deep enough or long enough and the front action screws torque against the recoil lug rather than the action. I check to see if the lug is free floating and sometimes remove a little material to insure that it is .Then I bed it. Simple as that. Actually I bed all my actions no matter what the stock manufacture claims. Their is no such thing a perfect stock to action fit without at least skim bedding. As to accuracy benefits. Most of the time very little unless it a very bad inlet job to begin with. Consistency is what bedding is really all about.