• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding an AICS... (pics) UPDATED

Victor Co Heather

Victor Company USA
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2006
SOCAL USA
www.victorcompanyusa.com
Last year I had my AICS converted to a left handed action by Cactus Tactical and they did a great job. I dropped in a trued LH Remy 700 action with a Montana Rifleman bbl and it shoots pretty well. The one thing I've wondered about is bedding the action. Has anyone here bedded an AICS? If so can you post pics?

I plan on bedding mine this month but want to gather as much info on it as I can. My first question is: <span style="font-weight: bold">can I screw it up and make it shoot worse</span>?

The second question is: <span style="font-weight: bold">The AICS aluminum body is so smooth, will the bedding stick properly? and do I need to rough it up to give the bedding something to stick to?</span>

Here are pics of the action now, before the bedding. I will update with a series of pics when I do bed it, so check back in a couple weeks.

L1030317.jpg

L1030320.jpg

L1030323.jpg

Re: Bedding an AICS... (pics)

Unless you're making it a "glue in", where the action isn't going to be removed, you need to use a release agent to MAKE SURE THE ACTION BREAKS FREE from the epoxy. Mostly small cartridge match rifles like benchrest rifles shooting a PPC type case are made glue ins. They have a trigger hanger so you can remove the trigger for cleaning. If you glue in an action that's used in the field, you're asking for headaches.

While some larger cartridge rifles are made into glue ins. They aren't usually as often found as in benchrest rifles.

I would suggest using the search tool and read a lot. This basic subject pops up here about twice a month.

I would like to see pictures of the bedding job as well, but I do beg to ask the question, how is the rifle shooting now? What kind of gain are you expecting to get by bedding?

It could be possible to have a net negative result if somehow the bedding job introduced stress into the action, so becareful to make sure the action is 'floating' in the bedding if you are going to go for it.

Dave

If it shoots well as is I wouldn't bother, you probably aren't going to see and quantifiable gain. Of course any botched job in rifle work can lead to worse results, but its not that complex. As stated, just don't introduce and stresses and don't glue it in.
I bedded my AICS when I had one, but that was only because I opened up the recoil lug area to accomadate a Holland lug myself with a WECSOG* mill (read-Dremel and files).
I bedded the from the mag forward through the recoil lug and a 1.5" barrel pad (had a #8 Shilen truck axle), and the tang area. I roughened up the aluminum prior to bedding and used aluminum plates on the sides to dam up the barrel pad and recoil lug bedding.
Picture024.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Sorry, no after pictures.

*WECSOG- Wile E Coyote School of Gunsmithing

Thanks SoberBiker for the pics. Roughing up the frame sounds like it might be a good idea, tho I wonder if it is bad for the anodizing and overall strength? Also that modeling clay around the edges I see in the pics?

Obviously it is bad for the "Anodizing"!
grin.gif
The only proper way to do it is by "texturing" the chassis. Not just simple skim bedding as some may suggest. I don't see it weakening the chassis as long one is sensible.

I dont think you can make the gun shoot worse if you do a somewhat reasonable job bedding it. Skim bed mean a very light bed, Right????????? Would devcon steel putty work on the AICS as well. Good thread keep it coming.
-jake

i opened the recoil lug area up to fit a badger lug and then just dropped my action into the aics. it consistently shoots under 2" at 600 yards (i don't always hit what i am aiming at but it always shoots tight
grin.gif
). i feel no need to bed the aics.

i just dropped a .223 AI barreled action into a 2.0. it had an oversized lug.

i chucked the barreled action up in the lathe and faced the front (read barrel side) of the recoil lug until it fit perfectly into the lug recess with .002" to spare.

i thought i'd cut a $25 recoil lug up rather than a $1000 stock.

If the barreled action is a shooter, the AICS is not the weak link.

1sikpupi shows adherance to the #1 rule of WECSOG: Modify the cheapest part first! I had no lathe so never thought of that route. I do know its better to shorten the recoil lug than make the channel deeper in an AICS, that may reduce strength.

I doubt if skim bedding without roughening the aluminum will last forever (probably with DevCon, doubtfully with MarineTex gray0.

Honestly Mr45, if your lug fits the channel, I would properly torque it as is and shoot it. Hateca has tested before and after bedding on AICS' and has found no really quantifiable benefit. Terry Cross will bed them.

I did mine because a)I like tinkering with shit, and b)like I said, I opened my lug channel myself. If I had a machinist open the front I probably wouldn't have bothered.

You have a nice stock, the LH job is a good one and if you find in the long run that an AICS doesn't fit your needs anymore, bedding that stock will hurt its resale value while the LH conversion properly done will add to it (for lefty buyers at least).

Your call, it can't hurt (other than resale value) but it arguably may not help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the barreled action is a shooter, the AICS is not the weak link.

1sikpupi shows adherance to the #1 rule of WECSOG: Modify the cheapest part first! I had no lathe so never thought of that route. I do know its better to shorten the recoil lug than make the channel deeper in an AICS, that may reduce strength.

I doubt if skim bedding without roughening the aluminum will last forever (probably with DevCon, doubtfully with MarineTex gray0.

Honestly Mr45, if your lug fits the channel, I would properly torque it as is and shoot it. Hateca has tested before and after bedding on AICS' and has found no really quantifiable benefit. Terry Cross will bed them.

I did mine because a)I like tinkering with shit, and b)like I said, I opened my lug channel myself. If I had a machinist open the front I probably wouldn't have bothered.

You have a nice stock, the LH job is a good one and if you find in the long run that an AICS doesn't fit your needs anymore, bedding that stock will hurt its resale value while the LH conversion properly done will add to it (for lefty buyers at least).

Your call, it can't hurt (other than resale value) but it arguably may not help. </div></div>

Thanks SB,

It's funny you mention the lug, because it didn't fit the AICS so I had Randy Cain mill out the front of it. (He is possibly one of the nicest and most professional people I know- I can't remember what he charged me but it was like $30 and on a Sunday morning!)

Randy said not to worry about bedding it either but I really like to tinker. He has the action now and putting a brake on it for me and some trigger work, will shoot it w/o the bedding and see how she does.

Before I gave the action to Randy, I shot about 100 rounds out of it and she shoots less than 1 moa but nowhere near what my GAP shoots (yeah I know). I would really like to get some .5 inch groups out of it.

WIll update with pics when I get the action back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vikingwitharifle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hOW'S it shoot?
smile.gif
</div></div>

it shoots great. .3s in favorable conditions (and i'm not the best shot)

the mag still needs modified to work with .223, but with 7mmRMs thread somewhere here, i'm not worried about that. (thanks 7)

100_1097Large.jpg

I think load development would get you farther than bedding. Randy's the one that usually points out that its uneccessary on AICS's.
If you want it to shoot as good as your GAP, drop the GAP action in it, torque that to spec and shoot it. You should see really fast that it ain't in the bedding or lack thereof......then work on finding what the Montana barrel likes.

Bedding an AICS is like putting STP "Engine Stop Leak" in a brand new Ferrari.

I just got done digging the recoil lug recess out on my stock like a dirty whore...

Dremeled the shit out of it. I didn't think twice about "making it weak". That thing is way over built for a stock, and grinding out a 1/8" of aluminum on the front side will alter the structural integrity absolutley none, I promise. I used to alter metal for a living...
grin.gif

Update:

I've decided not to bed the AICS chassis since I'd probably screw it up and it's not really necessary. I took my Remy LH 700 20" to Randy Cain and he threaded the barrel and threw on a VAIS brake for me. While the Remy was there, Randy was kind enough to adjust the trigger to a very nice 3lbs! (Thanks Randy!!)

When I got it back, I hit it with some black rattle can and volia:

L1030998.jpg

L1040008.jpg

L1040010.jpg

L1040006.jpg

L1040012.jpg

Will update with pics of how she shoots, I need to get some time to reload and go to the range!