• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding and Pillars in a Plastic Stock?

Doc Holiday13

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2008
LoCo, VA
Good Idea? Bad Idea?
The rifle build is going to be a Rem 700 that I bought and it came with the factory plastic stock

I'm just about done collecting parts for a lightweight bolt action build and trying to save a little $$$ while I'm at it. By lightweight build, I'm talking about a short barrel with integrated suppressor which will bring the rifle out to about 17". I want the gun as accurate as possible, but I don't want a big heavy fiberglass stock etc..

I still have the original plastic stock I got the donor action in, and I was looking at it today and wondered if maybe I could hog it out a little with an endmill and fill in all the empty space with some devcon then open bolt holes in the stock and put in some aluminum pillars.

Is this worth my time or is it a dumb idea?

Re: Bedding and Pillars in a Plastic Stock?

Not worth it IMO....repeatable accuracy and plastic stocks usually don't go together.

Manners is just releasing a new light weight stock that sounds perfect for your application, might want to talk to Tom.

Bad Idea. You are better off finding a cheap wood Rmington stock for about $50.00, and pillar bed it. If you don't like the wood look, that's easy to change with some sand paper, and a quality can of paint.

It can be done but usually the base plastic stock is flimsy.

I did my 10-22 Ruger is a plastic folder and I did as you are thinking but I also re-enforced the front section by bedding steel rods in there and adding a rear pillar.

It's definately possible, I bedded my (sporter) SPS. In the end, though, it's really not worth the hassle.

yes, you can do it and it may be a fun project that will ultimately work. Light? Well, you might as well give up. With the flex that the stock has, the cost in the materials to stiffen it up and the time it takes to do the work...not worth the investment.

Well, unless you just want to see what can be done. I'd be looking at 8lb (per cubic foot) expandable ridged polyurathane foam. Use this to fill all the voids. Then drill out as necessary for the pillers. Then you'd use marinetex for the pillers and bedding.

the only problem...you'd loose the light weight of the stock.

Best thing you can do for the money is to find an HS precision or McMillan pulled stock from a 700...around 200 bucks. Then bed it and call it a day.

Yeah good points i think I'm going to try to find a take off wood stock and mill out excess material and bed in that