• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bedding compound alternative?

SCHunter93

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2023
South Carolina
31EED298-1C30-47D8-A1AF-98B50A5C018D.jpeg

Just left my local Ace and picked this up. I know through research that Devcon makes multiple epoxies that are popular choices for bedding rifle actions. Anyone tried this stuff? I have an aftermarket composite stock on the way, but I may try this on the OEM stock just to give it a go and it would be good practice since this will be my first time completing this task. For 5 bucks it’s work seeing the results anyway. Thoughts?

Edit: I’m an idiot and not photographed and purchased the wrong one. I’ll have to go back and get the right one.

Last edited:
I've had good success with JBWeld putty. It's in a clear tube off white on 1 end and dk gray on the other. They make different strengths/hardiness. I also use HEAVY motor oil for the release agent. I used 2 small lengths of lamp threaded tube for the pillar bedding. I contoured the tube to the bottom of the action before I started the job. It's easy to forget. Just ask me.
scpaul

Reactions: 338dude
I've had good success with JBWeld putty. It's in a clear tube off white on 1 end and dk gray on the other. They make different strengths/hardiness. I also use HEAVY motor oil for the release agent. I used 2 small lengths of lamp threaded tube for the pillar bedding. I contoured the tube to the bottom of the action before I started the job. It's easy to forget. Just ask me.
scpaul
Do you have pictures of the finished product? We have a putty at work that toolmakers use to patch dies temporarily. Dries like rock.

No I ddidn't take pics. It's not pretty and I due to health I haven't been able to shoot it in the past few years. When it was finished it was a 1 hole wonder at 100 yards. I know tthat's not far but it was preeffy much round not oval. It's in the safe. If I get some help getting it out, I'll try to get pics. I'm still learning that too.

Do you have pictures of the finished product? We have a putty at work that toolmakers use to patch dies temporarily. Dries like rock. What part of S.C. are you in. I'm in the central part.

No I ddidn't take pics. It's not pretty and I due to health I haven't been able to shoot it in the past few years. When it was finished it was a 1 hole wonder at 100 yards. I know tthat's not far but it was preeffy much round not oval. It's in the safe. If I get some help getting it out, I'll try to get pics. I'm still learning that too.

Do you have pictures of the finished product? We have a putty at work that toolmakers use to patch dies temporarily. Dries like rock. What part of S.C. are you in. I'm in the central part.
I’m sorry to hear about your health. I am in the upstate.

Last edited:
Reactions: scpaul